HOW CAN YOU HAVE A KITCHEN FULL OF FOOD AND NOTHING TO EAT?!?!?!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I have decided people's grocery choices are intensely personal. I mean, it sounds obvious when I type it out, but I always hated staying at my Mom's house because she had cabinets full of food--but nothing I thought any sane person would want to eat. She was of the generation of canned goods. So she had tons and tons of canned stuff. It wasn't until I moved out that I learned that I *liked* cooked vegetables; that peas weren't supposed to be olive drab, mushy, and kind of metallic tasting.

On the other end of the spectrum is my friend, who called me up to wish me a Merry Christmas. Last night, on Facebook, he'd made cranberry sauce from scratch (to which I posted the meme of the girls yelling at the cat while the cat had a can-shaped serving of cranberry sauce on his plate). Today he was telling me about some $56 a pound Italian ham he was making something out of. When he stopped off on the way home from a week in Alabama while his daughter was in Space Camp, he left me his supplies from his AirBnB and I was like: "Pesto? Hummus? What the Hell am I supposed to do with this stuff?!"
And I'm sure he'd be positively horrified by my roasted chicken (well not that part) with Stove Top Stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, frozen green beans, store-bought pie, and King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls (a can of cranberry sauce is for Thanksgiving).

So at this point I'm starting to understand how my Mom could have a kitchen full of food yet not have anything that I would find appetizing.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Pesto is the most awesome stuff. I make it from scratch and smear it on everything.

MODMAN

I will not begrudge you using frozen green beans, Volpone. I use them myself frequently - the key being to blanch (or stir fry).

Instant mashed potatoes, on the other hand ... My God man.

Pesto is the most awesome stuff. I make it from scratch and smear it on everything.

Do you use pine nuts? Plenty of alternatives to pine nuts, but they are lovely (if ridiculously priced).

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Oh yes, pine nuts and many cloves of garlic and extra virgin olive oil.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
You can never have too much garlic. King's Hawaiian rolls are da bomb. Use them as a bun for sweet italian sausages grilled to perfection. Om nom nom.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
King's Hawaiian for pulled pork sliders. Little scoop of cole slaw and then a slice of dill pickle. Om nom nom. Serve with chips, probably. Maybe a nice Hefeweizen.