I just watched five minutes of the U.S Big Brother

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It's like, totally different and it has the most annoying American voice over..

EVAH

It's actually a full-on game show over there, isn't it? I don't think any other country (certainly not the UK) pushes the "game show" aspect of it as much.

Plus, the characters from what I can see are all what you would expect on MTV's the Real World or the like. Where is the eccentricity? Where is the throwing together of lunacy and watching the hilarity of the emotional collapse of mentally fragile people try and live in a community and forge relationships with eachother?

In our BB everybody has known that Pete is winning the whole thing. This has been known from Day 1 and nobody disputes it.

People are just pretty much themselves. Discussions of nominations are STRICTLY against the rules so there is no conferring with eachother EVER which seems to be a main aspect of the U.S one. People do so milk it for the cameras, don't get me wrong, but the will and drive to succeed and win above all else is just non-existant in the UK one, the motivations are totally different.

I will say that some of the tasks seem pretty good, we've had some really crappy tasks this year except for the prison task, compared to previous years it hasn't been as good on the task front. Your one seems to have some half-decent activities.

I'm not slating it or anything. I've only seen a little bit of it but it is very different. I'm sure it's addictive for other reasons, the tactical aspects, ect.

Doesn't seem very Big Brother like tis all!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Who the FUCK is this Will idiot?

What a gimp, boy needs a haircut and a slap round his unfunny face.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I couldnt beleive it when Loki first said they openly discuss nominations there.

Why do they always meddle with the format when they buy a program and make it their own?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
They also refer to it as the "game" and the housemates as the "players."

The entire focus seems to be on winning instead of the house in a bubble experience. From what I've seen THEY DON'T HAVE A BIG BROTHER VOICE! Some "player" was having an interview with the host of the show while in the house on a two way screen!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
whisky said:
Its just surviver in a house

It seems like it to me.

Just watched the whole episode and it's pretty weird, damn those sets are tacky as well!

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I was never able to get into BB. I mean, no TV in the house? Come on! How "real" is that. Fuckers.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You saw the "live" Thursday edition with the thoroughly uninteresting host Julie Chen, or as she's referred to it chats, Chenbot. The other 2 episodes during the week are edited from the live feeds leading up to the live eviction episode.

Part of the reason these people are less diverse is that this is an "All-Star" edition, meaning viewers voted on who should play from past seasons. So the hotter, more interesting and/or more devious houseguests are well represented. A regular season would be more diverse.

There is a Big Brother voice, but you only hear it on the live internet feeds, and it's only used to tell the people if their mic battery needs changing, or to send a person to the Diary Room to talk, or if there's a lockdown to set up a competition or clean the house, or to tell them to stop discussing Diary Room sessions (which is forbidden) or to stop singing (to avoid paying licesnsing fees for the songs being sung).

I wasn't aware that other BBs weren't more competition-based. The US show is all about strategy and making alliances and double-crossing those alliances, and ultimately winning. The first season may have been less about this, but it evolved quickly into what it is now, mostly due to Will's charmingly evil behavior when he won in the 2nd season.

I hope they never do an All-Star version again. These people all have agents and publicists now, and during the live feeds they spend much of their time complaining about the conditions, and talking about their personal appearances and other brushes with celebrity. Will went on for a while about how his publicist picked out all his sunglasses to wear during the season, and I was so turned off by it. The whole season seems tainted, which I would bet is what you expereinced while watching them.

I also hate the fakeness of those "interviews" with the Chenbot. They are completely forced, and the topics rarely have anything to do with the reality of the house.

You should sign up for a free trial of the live internet feed to get a better picture of things, or at least watch a Sunday or Tuesday edition, which doesn't include the Chenbot but is edited bits from the previous couple of days in the house.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They do charge, but there's a link somewhere to get a 14-day free trial instead of a 3-day free trial, I'll have to ask someone on another board.

It's basically a RealPlayer SuperPass, if you have one already you should be able to watch it right away. If not, there's a season pass and a monthly pass:

Clickee linkee to see

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the strategy element isn't apparant in other BB's really. Discussing nominations with other housemates is strictly forbidden. Doing so can get you evicted from the house.

Noted on the Allstar thing, it's not as diverse, we haven't had one in the UK yet but me and Wacky were saying that everyone who weent back in would probably become charactatures of themselves if they went into a second show trying to capatalize on what made them popular to begin with.

And Julie Chen... ick. She's annoying.

She's no Davina that's for sure!

This is what Nikki's eviction was like for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSnbjfCLCY

THIS IS DAVINA! YOU ARE LIVE ON CHANNEL 4, PLEASE DO NOT SWEAR!

It's just a very different type of show over here.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Julie Chen's qualifications for being on TV is that she's married to the Chairman of the Board of CBS. And that's about it.

GB: I have the season pass, and I'll cancel once the show's over to avoid a monthly recurring charge after that. Real is awful about making it difficult to cancel properly, if you're not careful you'll keep getting charged.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
After watching the YouTube, I can see how the UK one at least has more of an air of fun about it. It makes the US one seem downright somber by comparison.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I NEED MY SILVER BELT.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
NIKKI JUST STUNNED FAT GAY NAKED GUY IN CELLBLOCK Q!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
YOURS DOESN'T HAVE HOT TOPICS WITH IMOGEN.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I have the live feeds as well, bought in a moment of impulse. I think I've watched it 30 minutes in the last 3 days. Mostly, it's boring, but it is interesting to watch Will utterly and completely manipulate every person in the house into thinking he's on their side. I'm pretty convinced he even has Boogie snowed!

OMAGAH! DOCTOR EVIL FOR THE WIN!!