I'm searching for a cook

Mirah

I love you
Do you have a favorite cook book or website that you like to reference for recipes?

Loktar

Pinata Whacker

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I have an early 1990s Betty Crocker cookbook. It is not in any way great, but it tells how to cook a turkey or a baked potato or a few other things and then there are lots of beloved childhood dishes that, since my Mom wasn't some amazing chef, are pretty much straight out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

As far as online recipes, I just google whatever I want to make. If the recipe starts out with "I was born a poor black child..." and goes on for 37 more paragraphs before getting to actual food preparation I skip it. If there's more than about 5 ingredients and I have to drive around or order them instead of just going to the nearest supermarket I skip it. If there's 98 steps and farting around, I skip it. I'll usually be left with at least one recipe that isn't a pain in the ass and most of the ingredients are in my cupboard and what I lack I can substitute or safely skip.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
My mom had Betty Crocker cookbooks. Sadly they either got left behind at my parent's house or taken by my older brothers. I mostly microwave rather than cook so I'm not too worried. Though sometimes I wish I knew how to make her lentil stew. That was the best with spaetzle and my mom would add hot dogs to it for my youngest brother. She was always trying to get us to eat healthy. I didn't realize her "Indian" burgers were meatless lentil burgers until years later.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
D6823AA8159468AC2088D9BD34E0AAB196F42FBA.jpeg

jack

F0A79A7DAC6E29695C0DD57AC207879A06ED498D.jpeg

51BCAXi+hSL._SL500_.jpg

jack

and last but not least

2BF699E65AEDC8D98C1E8ED7CC179225072FD7B6.jpeg

jack

My mom had that cookbook too.
It's really the best. Some of the recipes are "general" so they make doing parts of things easy. Like making a roux or making pickles, but the recipes are our go to.

Lots of cooking theory threaded in and around the recipes. Very worth having.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
It's really the best. Some of the recipes are "general" so they make doing parts of things easy. Like making a roux or making pickles, but the recipes are our go to.

Lots of cooking theory threaded in and around the recipes. Very worth having.
My mom's copy got left behind at her old house. I'm sure if I got cooking more I could find a copy on Amazon or Ebay. I do have CDs full of how to cook various dishes from Chef Alton Brown though.

Mirah

I love you
I bet one could easily find the Betty Crocker book.

Thank night I made zucchini noodles with mushrooms and fake sausage meat that I thought would be awful, but it was pretty good. Then I added some pesto and grated Parm cheese onto it

Mirah

I love you
Charred Brocoli Salad

• 1 large head of broccoli, sliced into bite size pieces
  • 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp Gochugaru flakes, or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup or more crumbled feta cheese
  • Handful of fresh chopped chives