Inflation

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Apparently, there's some debate about whether or not we're going through a period of inflation. See the article here.

I didn't realize they didn't take food into account when calculating what they call core inflation.

I've noticed that a half gallon of ice cream has gone up $1.00 from the last time I was paying attention, which was probably about six months ago. A six-pack bag of bagels has gone up $.50 in the last couple of months, and this "designer" bread we sometimes buy has gone up $1.00 a loaf. Wine has increased in price by at least $1.00 a bottle, sometimes $2.00 a bottle.

But at the same time, the grocery store puts stuff on sale a lot. So you can get the ice cream two for one on an almost regular basis, and the bagels go on sale two for one at least one week out of every month.

However, I have to admit that at the end of each month, there's been less left over than before. And we haven't been doing a whole lot of driving, so it's not just down to the price of gas.

What do TKers think? Inflation?

Collina

Look into my eyes
1.2% in a month! That is not good. target in the uk is 2.5% pa +-. time to sell all your shares in anything vaguely reliant on private spending (think high street shops) and buy shares in pawn brokers, debt collection agencies and funeral parlours. Under no circumstances keep any cash either in the bank or under your mattress - replace all those porcelein false teeth with gold ones - see rap stars knew the recession was coming long before anyone else did!

Buttons

Ninja Kitten
The inflation is very likely due to the cost of gas. Increase cost of production being passed down the line. So I'm not terribly surprised, and do expect it to fall back down.

WordInterrupted

Troll Kingdom Ambassador
It's gas and it's the budget deficiet. When you fight a war, cut taxes, expand entitlements, and pass through billions in disaster relief all at the same time, inflation is unavoidable. Lyndon Johnson was the last president who jacked up domestic and defense spending at the same time, and his policies resulted in a fifteen year recession.