Initiative 957: Have kids or don't remain married

Love Child

One Love
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/people.aspx?y=2007

Assigned Number: 957
Filed: 01/10/2007

Sponsor
Mr. Gregory Paul Gadow

Initiative Measure No. 957 concerns eligibility for marriage.

Concise Description: This measure would limit marriage to those couples who are biologically capable of having children together, and would invalidate the marriages of couples who fail to procreate children within three years after marrying.
Ballot Measure Summary
This measure would restrict marriage to a male and a female who are capable of having children together. Couples would be required to declare their ability to procreate children together in order to obtain marriage licenses. If a couple failed to procreate children within three years of marriage, their marriage would be subject to annulment. All other marriages would be defined as “unrecognized.” Persons in unrecognized marriages would be ineligible to receive any marriage benefits.

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_020507WABinitiative957SW.546c6a4d.html
“For many years, social conservatives have claimed that marriage exists solely for the purpose of procreation ... The time has come for these conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine," said WA-DOMA organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed statement. “If same-sex couples should be barred from marriage because they can not have children together, it follows that all couples who cannot or will not have children together should equally be barred from marriage."

I understand what they are trying to say, but they are going about it the wrong way. It is especially a slap in the face to those that chose not to have children or those that are incapable. This initiative is outrageosly stupid in my eyes.

The Question

Eternal
The initiative is designed to fail, so that when it's voted down they can say, "See? Marriage isn't really about procreation, izzit!"

What they fail to realize is that the real reason they're not getting their way is far more basic than that: Voters want to retain the traditional idea of marriage. They don't want it redefined. Simple as that.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Hambil lives in Washington state with Morrhigan. I wonder if they've reproduced.

I hope not.

Gonad

DON'T FUCK WITH MY TITLE BITCH
A waste of time and money if this isn't being done for fun. Nobody is going to hear about it and suddenly think "Wow! All this time I've been misjudging people!"

Love Child

One Love
^Huh? Thats the point-it is being done "for fun" so I think it is a waste. I guess I just took it personally since we don't plan on having kids. Also I don't really have an opinion on Gay Marriage. Why did I capitalize that? I don't know. I'm not against Gay Marriage, I say "why not?"