Installing OS X Leopard Using an iPod

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Anyone else attempted this?

I've done the steps for this.

1. plug in iPod
2. Open Disk Utility and partitioned the iPod with an Apple Partition Map.
3. uploaded the Leopard .dmg on the iPod

Now, this next step is where it fails for me.
When I open Startup Disk, my iPod doesn't show. Even when rebooting and holding the Option key, the iPod doesn't show.

Why?

I have a PowerBook G4 with a PowerPC 1.67GHz CPU running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 and a 5th gen 30Gig video iPod, connected via USB 2.0.

Is this solution only for Intel Macs?
Should I be using the GUID Partition Table instead?
Is there another way to install Leopard using a .dmg?

Further

MooGoo
I can't say I've done this...I do not own a mac or an iPod...but anyways...

Did you just upload the dmg file to the partitioned iPod or did you create a partition on your ipod based on the dmg image?

As for other solutions, assuming you can't just burn the image to a CD, could there be some way to do it from a USB stick?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
It's a 6.6gb file. Doesn't fit on a standard DVD. Also, I own an iPod so I don't need a USB flash drive. That, and USB flash drives are stupid expensive for some reason.

Guess I'm gonna have to shell out the $15 for a flash drive.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Do you know that your iPod can be used as a USB drive?

I know iPhone OS devices use some weird "AFC" protocol, which means that most things can't actually access them. I don't know if the same thing applies to non-iPhone OS iPods, but for all I know, it might.

Further

MooGoo
I just figured with a USB stick it would be simpler as iPod's are not recognized as such out of the box at least.

I do know that if I wanted to install Windows 7 from a USB stick, simply copying the iso file to it would not work. Feel free to stop reading if you already get this, just trying to make sure. When you burn a cd image to a cdr and then open the burned cd in file explorer, you see the files inside the disc image, not the single dmg/iso file. The same must be done with an iPod/USB stick.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
That's the idea behind setting up my ipod as a recovery disk. The mac will boot from the iPod like it's a boot drive. This can also be done on intel mac builds.