Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack! Help me start a thread about boxing dude!

BitchSlapSmitty

You and I always seem to be at odds when it came to many a fight, but why is that?

We're both enthusiasts right?

So, what say, we start a study/thread on a sport we both clearly seem to love.

The beat is yours homey, take it away.

Both Roy Jones, Jr. and Bernard Hopins sullied their careers and their places in history by hanging on too long, fighting too many fights.

That's why Lennox Lewis will go down as one of the great heavyweight fighters. he dominated his immediate generation, and knew when to get the hell out.

The current class of heavyweight fighters is a joke. Vitaly Klitchko? COME ON!

Big Dick McGee said:
Both Roy Jones, Jr. and Bernard Hopins sullied their careers and their places in history by hanging on too long, fighting too many fights.

That's why Lennox Lewis will go down as one of the great heavyweight fighters. he dominated his immediate generation, and knew when to get the hell out.

When you're right you're right.

What do you think of Pacchio/the fillipino?

Boxing is just two dudes bashing their skulls in over a purse and a belt. That sounds like a womanly pursuit if I've ever heard one.

The Fernando Vargas fight is going to be just awesome. I remember when Vargas was first starting out, something like 13 and 0 and was terroriZing everyone, and then he met Felix Trinidad for the IBF title.

Remember that fight? Felix flicked out a couple of jabs in the first 15 seconds, the second of which caught Vargas just right, and he staggered. Felix took terrible advantage and knocked him down twice in that round, and beat the fuck out of him for 12 rounds before finally stopping him with thwat terrible right hook/uppercut that put the lights out.

Then Golden Boy had a go at him, and put him away in the 10th. I think Vargas has recovered enough from those two terrible beatings to give Mosely a good go. That's going to be one great fight.

Big Dick McGee said:

I always thought Jones was a made fighter without any real talent, except for that one heavyweight fight he fought. Most of the rest were just steps for him to take to further his career. The fight he had with Toney was interesting though, that was another good one.

I think you'll see a gradual replacement of boxing as the premier "fighting sport" with ultimate or hybrid fighting over the next few years. Boxing is so convoluted and confused, with no clear ruling body and no clear champion, that people get tired of watching watered down club matches disguised as heavyweight bouts.

UFC is getting more refined every year, and is beginning to have that "complete sport" feel to it, while still retaining the "anything can happen" factor. Plus, it appeals to the fans who are in it for the blood and guts. They went through a period that could have killed them when everone was doing chokeholds, but recent rule changes seem to have addressed that.

Aside from that, hybrid or UFC style matches are seen as truly tough man contests, with more availability and accessability to the common guy than boxing has. And aside from a few offshoots, the majority of world-class shootfight athletes wind up under the UFC sanction, which lessens the confusion of who's governing what bout.

I'd give it about 5-6 more years before UFC overtakes boxing as a sport...

That grappling though...that shit's no good. One of the reasons boxing works (although you're right about the corruption endemic in the sport) is it's pretty pure. He whohas the best skill wins period, unless the fight is fixed.

Football is like that too, to some extent, as witnessed this past Sunday. I've never seen a team make so many crucial and critical errors in a championship game.

But I think unless grappling is completely eliminated, UFC is not going to do much except be relegated to cult status.

That's why I said 5-6 years. I got out of watching the stuff after the choke artists took over the sport (Although Royce Gracie was entertaining to watch, like a little python strangling a rat inches at a time)

But it seems they've really taken steps to eliminate the endless laying on the floor by enforcing a time limit on takedowns and breaking up stalemates. If you haven't watched in a while, it ain't the same animal it used to be...