just a little project

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I did these letters with a ruler and a marker for the "train station wall" of the set of Cabaret.

4829.imgcache.jpg

curiousa2z

then I left it with the set decorating peeps - the board was cut down in size, and 'aged'. It looks pretty good, but I forgot to bring my camera to the theatre tonight.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I don't see macramé as much as I used to. I like the font. It reminds me of the Chrysler building.

curiousa2z

I love Art Deco. Alas, they didn't have more of that element in the set design.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Bad art deco is really bad but good art deco is wonderful. Shiny metal, tall purposeful lines, old-school cold war pride, elegant power. Yeah baby! Polished rivets. I love me some polished rivets.

curiousa2z

we had one truly beautiful such edifice in town. It was perpetually "for Sale", but each time I passed it I fantasized about the town(or me if i won the lottery!) buying it and turning it into a "cultural centre" with a café for poets and other ne'er do wells to hang out at. But one day it mysteriously burned down (hmm poured concrete..highly flammable) and the owner collected the insurance.

About seven years later his failed B & B , a fantastic century-plus four storied brick, also had an "accidental fire." He claimed he left a pot on the stove. "MY BAD". House gutted. Insurance paid up.

Then I discovered he had been the landlord for this beautiful old apartment complex built back in the days 150 years ago to house workers for the lumber/shipping industries. Beautiful red brick, mansard roofs, carved thick wood on the doors and verandahs,etc.etc. He sold that to some drug store chain...(cuz we need three storefronts of the same franchise in one town!) and the wrecking ball made short work of that, despite large opposition from many townsfolk. As it wasn't officially declared a 'heritage site', too bad, it was his property.

I hear he's living in another town now...I pray they never allow him near their heritage buildings!

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
That's ugly. Maybe no one would be too surprised if his house burned down while he was asleep inside...

Not that I advocate direct action mind you.