Justice.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
The two London drug dealers who knifed a friend of mine and his friend to death a year ago tomorrow were found guilty and sentenced for 30 years each today.

Farewell to more human trash.

Here's hoping they get a good welcome by some fellow prisoners in the laundry room while the guards back is turned.

That's great, but in the United States they both would've gotten the needle. Or, they would have plea bargained to avoid the needle, and gotten life in prison without parole. 30 years is a start, but I'm certain your friend would have lived beyond 30 more years.

My condolences.

I'm a strong advocate of the death penality, and couldn't agree more. Why should the state pay for convicted murderers who are of absolutely no value to society?

BDM, surely you know not all States have the death penalty?

Gagh, my father thinks I'm a barbarian, but I'm with you. My tax money can be better spent elsewhere.

As of October 2009, fourteen states and the District of Columbia have abolished the death penalty; and New York has declared a portion of its capital punishment statute unconstitutional. The difference between New York's status and that of the other listed states is that, while their judiciary nullified a portion of the current death penalty law, the state hasn't passed legislation officially banning capital punishment.

Alaska.......................1957
Hawaii.......................1948
Iowa.........................1965

Maine........................1887
Massachusetts............1984
Michigan....................1846
Minnesota..................1911
North Dakota..............1973
Rhode Island..............1984
Vermont....................1964
West Virginia..............1965
Wisconsin..................1853
Washington, DC..........1981
New Jersey.................2007

New Mexico................2009
New York...................2004, 2007*
* State death penalty statute declared unconstitutional.

Here's hoping they get a good welcome by some fellow prisoners in the laundry room while the guards back is turned.

daily violent anal rape for 30 years is a solid punishment for them

also a lot of studies show that it costs more to execute someone than to put them in a small concrete cell and feed them gruel for a lifetime especially if theyre put to use cleaning up highways and doing other prison 'jobs', also the death penalty means they wont have to worry about the violent anal rape theyd probably get in regular prison

As of October 2009, fourteen states and the District of Columbia have abolished the death penalty; and New York has declared a portion of its capital punishment statute unconstitutional. The difference between New York's status and that of the other listed states is that, while their judiciary nullified a portion of the current death penalty law, the state hasn't passed legislation officially banning capital punishment.

Alaska.......................1957
Hawaii.......................1948
Iowa.........................1965

Maine........................1887
Massachusetts............1984
Michigan....................1846
Minnesota..................1911
North Dakota..............1973
Rhode Island..............1984
Vermont....................1964
West Virginia..............1965
Wisconsin..................1853
Washington, DC..........1981
New Jersey.................2007

New Mexico................2009
New York...................2004, 2007*
* State death penalty statute declared unconstitutional.

I'm frankly surprised that some of the New England states have abolished the death penalty, as they are generally more conservative than that.

daily violent anal rape for 30 years is a solid punishment for them

also a lot of studies show that it costs more to execute someone than to put them in a small concrete cell and feed them gruel for a lifetime especially if theyre put to use cleaning up highways and doing other prison 'jobs', also the death penalty means they wont have to worry about the violent anal rape theyd probably get in regular prison

You seem fixated on the whole violent anal rape thing. You do understand that mostly happens on tv right?

I'm a strong advocate of the death penality, and couldn't agree more. Why should the state pay for convicted murderers who are of absolutely no value to society?

become a pen pal to someone doing multiple life sentences w/o parole, then accidentally let slip the two dealers are child rapists. That should solve the problem pretty quick...

You seem fixated on the whole violent anal rape thing. You do understand that mostly happens on tv right?

well if you hint at the kidtouching accusations then the likelihood of severe beatings increases. violent anal rape would just be a bonus

just saying, i think its more of a punishment to deal with prison bullshit for life than to live on a relatively safe death row facility for a few years and enjoy a painless death

U cant kill pple for killing pple...that's vengeance, not justice. And commonwealth sentencing for murder is average 16-35 years, rarely life.
I know a dude who was tortured to death and his killers got 30 each. Its normal sentence for murder; actually a pretty good one.

U cant kill pple for killing pple...that's vengeance, not justice. And commonwealth sentencing for murder is average 16-35 years, rarely life.
I know a dude who was tortured to death and his killers got 30 each. Its normal sentence for murder; actually a pretty good one.

It's only vengeance if it's done illegally. If it's done by state law, so be it. Are you happy that your taxes go toward keeping killers? Each case should be judged on its merits in terms of severity and the wishes of the victim's family.

I'm frankly surprised that some of the New England states have abolished the death penalty, as they are generally more conservative than that.
No, that's pretty much dead on. Massachusetts and Vermont have been traditionally quite liberal. Maine's a mixed bag. I don't know much about the politcal makeup of Connecticut & Rhode Island, honestly (except that they seem to have a hard-on for governors who are either corrupt, have horrendous toupees, or both.) New Hampshire's pretty much just a colder version of South Carolina.

I waffle on capital punishment. My sig takes one point of view (its a slight rewording of a Vonnegut quote.) Another pov would be this quote I like from H.L. Mencken:

The argument that capital punishment degrades the state is moonshine, for if that were true then it would degrade the state to send men to war... The state, in truth, is degraded in its very nature: a few butcheries cannot do it any further damage.

Back