Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEEP ON STAR TREKKING EVIL SCIENTISTS!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
These scientists have obviously found a way to communicate with Scotty!

Transparent aluminium is ‘new state of matter’

27 Jul 09

Oxford scientists have created a transparent form of aluminium by bombarding the metal with the world’s most powerful soft X-ray laser. ‘Transparent aluminium’ previously only existed in science fiction, featuring in the movie Star Trek IV, but the real material is an exotic new state of matter with implications for planetary science and nuclear fusion.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2009/090727_2.html

Well, I think we've already got some Star Trek medicine since when I went into the doctor's office last week, she took my temp by running some wand over my forehead!!!!

I never used to know they were talking about aluminium when I watched Star Trek 4 because Americans say it different.

Since we Brits invented it, maybe they'll call it Transparent Aluminium too. You're not supposed to translate proper nouns, are you?

here's the funny thing up here: in English we say aluminum, the American way, yet in French we say aluminium.
c'est la vie.

Doesn't most science start in either philosophy or science Fiction?

Hello, Capt. Nemo.

And, like, aren't we STILL working on Warp drive and light sabers?

There's a story about some country or something building a submarine based on Frank Herbert's book The Dragon in the Sea.

I don't think fiction necessarily creates politics so much as it mirrors it. Heinlein had a lot of cold war politics in his novels.