Keeping a Democratic Web

Caitriona

Something Wicked
It was only a matter of time...

Keeping a Democratic Web
From New York Times, May 2, 2006 www.nytimes.com
By Editorial

“Net neutrality†is a concept that is still unfamiliar to most Americans, but it keeps the Internet democratic. Cable and telephone companies that provide Internet service are talking about creating a two-tiered Internet, in which Web sites that pay them large fees would get priority over everything else. Opponents of these plans are supporting Net-neutrality legislation, which would require all Web sites to be treated equally. Net neutrality recently suffered a setback in the House, but there is growing hope that the Senate will take up the cause.

One of the Internet’s great strengths is that a single blogger or a small political group can inexpensively create a Web page that is just as accessible to the world as Microsoft’s home page. But this democratic Internet would be in danger if the companies that deliver Internet service changed the rules so that Web sites that pay them money would be easily accessible, while little-guy sites would be harder to access, and slower to navigate. Providers could also block access to sites they do not like.

That would be a financial windfall for Internet service providers, but a disaster for users, who could find their Web browsing influenced by whichever sites paid their service provider the most money. There is a growing movement of Internet users who are pushing for legislation to make this kind of discrimination impossible. It has attracted supporters ranging from MoveOn.org to the Gun Owners of America. Grass-roots political groups like these are rightly concerned that their online speech could be curtailed if Internet service providers were allowed to pick and choose among Web sites.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee defeated a good Net-neutrality amendment last week. But the amendment got more votes than many people expected, suggesting that support for Net neutrality is beginning to take hold in Congress. In the Senate, Olympia Snowe, a Maine Republican, and Byron Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat, are drafting a strong Net-neutrality bill that would prohibit broadband providers from creating a two-tiered Internet. Senators who care about the Internet and Internet users should get behind it.

This article is from New York Times. If you found it informative and valuable, we strongly encourage you to visit their website and register an account to view all their articles on the web. Support quality journalism.

and... from www.savetheinternet.com

Congress is pushing a law that would abandon the Internet's First Amendment -- a principle called Network Neutrality that prevents companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast from deciding which Web sites work best for you -- based on what site pays them the most. Your local library shouldn’t have to outbid Barnes & Noble for the right to have its Web site open quickly on your computer.

Net Neutrality allows everyone to compete on a level playing field and is the reason that the Internet is a force for economic innovation, civic participation and free speech. If the public doesn't speak up now, Congress will cave to a multi-million dollar lobbying campaign by telephone and cable companies that want to decide what you do, where you go, and what you watch online.

This isn’t just speculation -- we've already seen what happens elsewhere when the Internet's gatekeepers get too much control. Last year, Telus -- Canada's version of AT&T -- blocked their Internet customers from visiting a Web site sympathetic to workers with whom the company was having a labor dispute. And Madison River, a North Carolina ISP, blocked its customers from using any competing Internet phone service.

Yep, that's why I posted it here. TK might be a site to get slowed down because of content. That, and it will really create havoc with existing hosting companies who won't be able to guarantee any kind of service because they can be vetoed by an ISP.

I'm not sure, but I expect that "net neutrality" will eventually be the order of the day. I haven't researched the applicable law already out there yet, but I suspect anti-trust law might be applicable.

Blindgroping said:
are...Is anyone here in for some creative, constructive, purposefully organized trolling?

Yes , get it up and get it on..

Not only did you miss the meaning of that post, but you also missed the whole point of the system that goes on here.

Try again? ;)

FBI parte due said:
Not only did you miss the meaning of that post, but you also missed the whole point of the system that goes on here.

Try again? ;)

*snicker* You know, only they know about REAL trolling after all.

The internet is world wide. Why do we fucking Americans think we are in charge of it? I am so sick of our arrogance.

Hambil said:
The internet is world wide. Why do we fucking Americans think we are in charge of it? I am so sick of our arrogance.

Because we CREATED it, you worthless homosexual leftist piece of garbage!

And what's with the "half hamster/half gerbil"?? Gerbils wouldn't do it for you anymore down at the bath house so you had to step up to a larger rodent to smother to death up your bunghole?

Back