Major League Baseball 2010 (mostly for me and Eggs)

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Since we don't have the TK Sports forum any longer, I'll post this here.

The 2010 baseball season is off to a wild start. Of course, my Phillies have the best record in all of baseball, with a 7-1 mark. Their offense is just silly-in 8 games they're averaging over 7 runs a game. There have been a couple of times they've been down 3 or 4 runs, and I just know they'll come back.

The only thing that will prevent them from winning 100 games, and the World Series, is injuries like the Mets had last year.

Our division sucks, but I think the Phillies are an American League team that plays in the National League.

In surprising news, the Oakland A's are off to a positively sizzling start. They've been getting good pitching and timely hitting. We'll see if they can sustain it.

OK, i'm sure Eggs and I (and possibly Conchaga) will be the only ones to post here, but I am so glad baseball season has started.

Big Dick McGee

^^THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WILL CRUSH THE NEW YORK YANKEES AND GRIND THEIR BONES TO DUST, AND THEN SUCK UP THE DUST IN A SHO VAC AND CRUSH IT EVEN FURTHER!!!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I love it when the Yankees lose. They can suck my balls. I'm a Mets and Red Sox fan.

The Mets are going to be giving me heartburn all season. They will end up playing 500+ ball, but it won't be enough. The pitching is still day-to-day. But Pelfry had an unexpectedly fantastic showing today. And Jeff Francouer has had a hit in every game so far this season.

Now if only Reyes can get over the hump and be Reyes again. Wright is looking good, a little shaky at first but getting back in the swing. The big question is, will Carlos Beltran ever be Carlos Beltran again? Possibly not.

But I'm just glad the season is up and running, and that I can see more games on ESPN and MLB TV.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Interesting...I wonder if the NY markets don't have as many viewers because they have their own cable channels. The other markets must still use broadcast channels for most of their games...also, there's too damn much else to watch on the 1200 channels on our cable systems...

Baseball Opening Week Scores Viewership Gains in Most Major Markets
April 15, 2010

An analysis of Major League Baseball’s opening week revealed more than half of the local markets outpacing last year’s viewing. At the top of the list? The surprising Oakland A’s. The AL West leader’s ratings are up an impressive 300% in the SF-SJ-OAK market compared to the same time frame last year. Overall, however, the Red Sox still have the highest local ratings of any team, with 11% of the Boston market tuning in during the first week.

Top Local Markets % Increase 4/5 – 4/11/ 2010

Market LOCAL HH RTG % Change
Oakland A’s 1.6 300%
Tampa Bay Rays 5.4 157%
Florida Marlins 3.6 112%
Washington Nationals 0.8 100%
Colorado Rockies 4.7 52%
Cleveland Indians 5.0 39%
New York Yankees 5.8 38%
Philadelphia Phillies 7.2 33%
Detroit Tigers 6.7 22%
SF Giants 3.6 13%

Source: The Nielsen Company

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
OK this has been one hell of a series this weekend! FIrst the Mets kill, I mean KILL the Phils Friday, the the Phils return the favor yesterday. Now, they are in the middle of a slugfest that was already 3-2 after the first inning.

David Wright and Rod Barajas make for good TV when they come into Philly, never fails. :D

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Hey! I like baseball. Helllooooooooooo....I caption sports. ;)

(was prolly left out due to sexism)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
We weren't aware! :D

BDM and I would be the lone baseball fans up in the Sports forum. Hopefully a few more will come out of the closet down here.

Tisiphone

It's okay. :)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Oh and FUCK THE PHILS lol. (Mets lost again)

It's going to be a looooong season.

Tisiphone

I'm just bitter because I'm a Cubs fan.

Tisiphone

And now my cutie Joe Mauer is week to week with his ankle, not day to day. And I'm happy the Dodgers are sucking because I loathe Manny Ramirez. Or Predator, as I call him.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I just don't know how Cubs fans do it. Even Boston got a reprieve after 85 years...

God Bless Ya! Keep the faith!

Tisiphone

OUR TIME WILL COME LIKE THE GOD WHO COMES

Big Dick McGee

Oh and FUCK THE PHILS lol. (Mets lost again)

It's going to be a looooong season.

When I saw that it was Jamie Moyer against Johan Santana, I was pretty worried. But it looks like the Phillies' bats have finally woken the hell up again. Hopefully this will continue tonight against the Cardinals.

I gotta say, Roy Halladay is the motherfucking man. He's been everything they advertised and more. So far he's 5-1 (and the one loss was 2-0, the damned Phillies couldn't score), and of those 5 wins, 2 were shutouts and 3 were complete games. Hell, the guy has SIX starts and only THREE walks. That's some good pitching right there!

I've once again realized just how much I love, love, love baseball. Sure, I follow the Eagles, and I'm watching/listening to the Flyers in the playoffs, but baseball is like a religion to me. Since I have to get the MLB package to watch every Phillies game, and since the Phils were playing in the evening, I ended up watching the Twins/Indians and then Seattle/Texas for a bit. You KNOW you love a sport when you could care less about the teams involved, but it's still good television.

BASEBALL ROOLZ!!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
How does the MLB package work, anyway? I thought most of the local games are blacked out, and all you get is everybody but the team you paid to see...is it worth the money?

Tisiphone

Did y'all see the 17-year-old get tasered last night?

Big Dick McGee

How does the MLB package work, anyway? I thought most of the local games are blacked out, and all you get is everybody but the team you paid to see...is it worth the money?

Yes, if the games are shown locally in your market, they'll be blacked out. So when the Phillies play the Dodgers in August, the games won't be available to me on MLB Extra Innings. But I can just watch them on my local affiliate, in HD. This works even if they're Nationally televised games, like Fox Saturday baseball. I luckily got the Phils/Mets this past week, but if the Phils/Braves game is not the FOX game we get, it won't appear on MLB Extra Innings.

For me, it's worth every penny. I make 4 equal payments of $44.95 for the season, since I ordered in March. That allows me to see every Phillies game with the exception of maybe 2-3 that are FOX games and not broadcast in the L.A. area. I record the games since they mostly air at 4:00, and LG and I watch them as soon as I get home from work. It's cool because I can FFWD through the commercials, when there's a pitching change, etc., and watch the games in like 2 hours.

One really nice benefit is that LG has become a real Phillies fan. We really enjoy watching the games together, and she gets even more heated than I do when the Phillies make a bad play, or get robbed on a call. It's awesome.

The added benefit for me is that on a slow Sunday when she's napping, I can check out a random game, or decide to follow another team. This year, I'll try and catch some Twins games, since they have that really neat new ballpark. If you really love baseball, then MLB Extra Innings is awesome. If you only follow your local team, don't spend the money, you'll get all the games anyway.

I can't ever imagine not ordering the package, even if the Phillies start stinkin' again, like they did in the 80's and 90's. It's just such a great part of our family's summer.

Big Dick McGee

Did y'all see the 17-year-old get tasered last night?

They never show it on television any more (to discourage idiots who want "face time", but I did catch the fan video this morning. Fucking idiot got what he deserved.