Maya

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Is it something I could learn from scratch? With only 15-years-out-of-date Photoshop/Illustrator knowledge and a gazillion hours of MSPaint under my belt?

Also (since I'm in the market for a new desktop,) how powerful a system would I need to be able to run it effectively?

Further

MooGoo
Somehow I doubt any amount of Photoshop knowledge would be all that helpful in a 3D rendering application, MSPaint on the other hand, you'll be pro in a week.

And I imagine the more powerful the better, either way your computer is going to be tied up rendering for significant amounts of time.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Would, say, something with [copypasta]8 GB of memory (DDR3 1066), a 3.0GHz 64bit Quad-Core Processor (AMD Phenom II X4 945), an ATI RadeonTM HD 4650 graphics card with 1 GB dedicated graphics memory, along with a 1TB 5400RPM SATA hard drive[/copypasta] be sufficient enough to keep it from locking up while rendering?

While I'm at it, I've always been a little fuzzy how the whole Hz thing relates to processor speed, vis a vis multiple-core processors. For instance, is a dual-core processor running at 2.75 GHz always faster than a quad-core running at 2.5? Or only when you're not running ten programs at once?

Further

MooGoo
It all very much depends on the software you are using. All else being equal, a purely single-threaded application will run better on a higher clocked CPU regardless of the amount of cores it has. However, if you are running a modern OS such as Windows 7 or Snow Leopard that has a multi-core aware scheduler, then more cores could theoretically result in better performance as the OS would assign background tasks to alternate cores while giving your CPU hungry rendering app (almost) exclusive use of its own.

However 3d rendering is a highly parallel and thus easily multi-threaded task, so I would expect modern 3d rendering programs to be multi-core aware in which case more cores would defiantly equal better performance.

As for your video card, the ability for non-gaming applications to offload processing to the GPU is very much in its infancy at this point. AMD and Nvidia have released API's for this purpose. Check if the software you want to use supports CUDA for use with Nvidia GPU's, or DirectCompute for use with any GPU that supports DirectX 11 (such as the Radeon 5000 series or the Nvidia Fermi based series). If the software supports neither then your video card will have no effect on rendering performance.

Also, your 5400rpm hard disk is about the slowest speed you can get for modern drives, I would recommend at least a 7200rpm drive for running your OS and its applications.

But either way your computer should not lock up while rendering, it just might be somewhat laggy during the process. Having 4 cores should help alleviate this issue at least.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Ask (NAME), I think thats the program he uses.

I use 3D Max, which is similar, I am mostly self taught, but it has taken several years to get where I am now.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Fuddlemiff. ;)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
CURSE YOU MOO GOO MOO GAI PAN!

whisky forgot for a moment that this isn't LoNAF. :bill:

Bickendan

Shifty sumbitch
I don't think Fuddlemiff goes by his real name here at TK. Of course, given my constant presence in the MineFields...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
What, were not allowed to use real names now?
It's up to the person whose name you are using. But the real reason I edited it is because nobody but a few of us in the MF would have any idea who you were talking about up in this forum. It was more a courtesy than moderation.

whisky

Boobie inspector
No worries, I just hope I didn't upset the person in question by outing his first name.