Movies seen in 2023

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Barbarian (2022) - I guess I watch horror movies now. This one was on Disney+ and I heard it was good so I thought "WHY NOT." It is good. It's very...twisty? You think the story is going one way then it goes somewhere completely different. Two people are double-booked in an Airbnb and...stuff happens from then. No spoilers. There's another character introduced fairly late in the movie who is entertaining to watch (while not being a good person) and it kind of takes away a bit from the person who's the main character from the first half? The ending felt a bit rushed. But it's a thrill-ride type of thing that held my attention all the way and is pretty funny in places. I didn't find it very scary, exactly, but there's a few jump scare bits if you don't like those. I enjoyed it!

Mirah

I love you
I watched White Christmas with my mom the other night. It might have been in 2022, I don't remember. But it was an enjoyable movie. I liked it.

CaptainWacky

The Menu (2022) - Disney+ continues to deliver. A celebrity chef (an excellent Ralph Fiennes) serves guests (including Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult) on a private island and things get weird! It's a kind of comedy, horror, thriller, thing? It's fun. At first you think (without spoiling anything) that maybe it's all just an elaborate performance by the chef but then things...escalate. Fiennes is really perfect as the crazy chef. Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult are as good as ever. What I will say is it starts kind of grounded in reality and isn't really by the end. Like...

I can understand the chef wanting to kill a load of rich assholes and himself, but he has two dozen people helping him who are all willing to kill and die for him and none of them given much background at all. I guess he just inspires that kind of loyalty!

But yeah it's fun there's funny food related stuff it's worth watching.

MODMAN

Top gun Maverick.

I liked it, good old fashioned action movie with a lot of actors really in jets.

Just finished it tonight. I concur - an unabashed 80's style flick.

The one thing that irked me was Rooster at the beginning - wearing his Dad's look, singing the same song on the piano... just a tad on the nose. Didn't detract from the film, just a bit of an eye roll at the time.

Over the weekend I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. Probably deserving of being called a masterpiece. Loved it.

The Menu (2022) - Disney+ continues to deliver. A celebrity chef (an excellent Ralph Fiennes) serves guests (including Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult) on a private island and things get weird! It's a kind of comedy, horror, thriller, thing? It's fun. At first you think (without spoiling anything) that maybe it's all just an elaborate performance by the chef but then things...escalate. Fiennes is really perfect as the crazy chef. Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult are as good as ever. What I will say is it starts kind of grounded in reality and isn't really by the end. Like...

I can understand the chef wanting to kill a load of rich assholes and himself, but he has two dozen people helping him who are all willing to kill and die for him and none of them given much background at all. I guess he just inspires that kind of loyalty!

But yeah it's fun there's funny food related stuff it's worth watching.

My Mother has been nagging me to download that for her - looks like I won't have to (not available here till Wednesday, strangely). Will have to watch it myself given your recommendation.

CaptainWacky

There's no cocks or tits so you can watch with your mum without being embarrassed!

Mirah

I love you
I'll keep that in mind too!

I wanted to watch some of the movies and shows from the Golden Globes but I don't pay for HBO MAX so the White Lily is out. Dang. I just turned on Bullet Train, but I'm unable to concentrate on it and I srsly feel like I can't find anything to watch anymore.

My mom has been binge watching Little House on the Prairie and she has watched more shows than me and I srsly might just watch that.

CaptainWacky

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) - Tagic comedy ("tragicomedy") set on an Irish island against the backdrop of the Irish Civil War one hundred years ago. Starring Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, with excellent support from Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan, at first it reminded me quite a bit of Father Ted with the style of humour and phrases used. I guess that's just what all Irish islands are like! It's very funny in places but it really is very bleak too, especially towards the end. The two leads are excellent and this is the best I've ever seen Farrell (who is usually good anyay!) He does so much with just his eyebrows. Excellent movie, highly recommanded. Disney+ does it again!

CaptainWacky

You little bollocks.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I also watched the menu, or what if Gordon Ramsey was a pyscho.

I liked it.

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
Silent Service (1995) - During the Cold War, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force jointly developed a nuclear submarine with the United States Navy. On its maiden voyage, the captain of the submarine, Shiro Kaieda, declares the submarine to be an independent state, "Yamato". Kaieda attempts to attend a UN summit in order to be recognized as an independent nation. However, many forces such as the United States Navy and the Soviet Navy try to stop Kaieda and his crew from reaching New York.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Jurassic world dominion.

It's kind of boring and by the numbers with very little sense of danger. Feels like it was wrote by an AI.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Wakanda forever.

It's ok, it's easily the most forgettable marvel film since the eternals.

Not sure I'll ever rewatch it.

CaptainWacky

*resists urge to shout "POST IN THE EXISTING WAKANDA FOREVER THREAD"*

whisky

Boobie inspector
Bullet train.

A fun tounge in cheek film about assassins on a train with lots of informative flashbacks.

Mirah

I love you
Marlowe

I don't recommend it. Set in the late 1930's or early 1940's, detective film. The most exciting scene happens at the end.

CaptainWacky

Fall (2022) - Two women climb up a big tower and get stuck. For fans of shouting "STOP CLIMBING" and "DON'T FALL" at the screen. It's pretty good!