My computer is fixed now.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Well, after replacing the power supply, and finding out that wasn't the problem, someone told me I should examine the capacitors on the motherboard. 6 of them were blown, so I ordered a new motherboard/processor combo. This time I decided to stay away from the piece of shit ECS motherboards. I bought an ASUS M4A78L-M with a Phenom II X2 550 3.1 GHz processor. I already had 4 GB of very nice OCZ DDR2 800 memory, and I had recently upgraded my video card to a GeForce GT 240. In fact, I suspect the video card upgrade is what caused the extra strain on the motherboard and the capacitors to blow. The piece of shit ECS apparently couldn't handle dat pimpin'. The system is operating quite well now, and I haven't yet found a game that slows down even with all the effects turned on. Translation: I'm a very happy Romulan.

Further

MooGoo
You need to play newer games. My 3.2ghz quad core i7 with 6GB of DDR3 memory and a Radeon 5850 video card gets quite a bit taxed when running Crysis at 1920x1200 max details.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I usually play Star Trek Online, Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect 2. I had never played Crysis, so I downloaded the demo. That's the only game I've tried that I can't max out the settings completely without imperfections. I have everything turned up to high, and it runs flawlessly no matter what's on the screen. If I turn it up to very high, I get some dropped frames when there's heavy action, however it's still very playable. Interesting thing, I notice almost no difference in visual quality between high and very high.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I have a 15" monitor so it only supports 1024x768. However I also have a 55" tv that I use sometimes. It will accept 1920x1080. Keep in mind though, it's a CRT based rear projection, so that resolution is interlaced.

Further

MooGoo
Well no wonder. At 1024x768 and the equivalent of 540p most games will have no performance issues on modern PC's.

I like this CRT rear projection TV. I did not know that any 16:9 ones still existed. I miss my 21" Trinitron CRT monstrosity of a monitor. That thing was a tank.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
It's not a straight tube tv that would be impossibly huge. Its a Mitsubishi rear projection, three bulbs. They were all 16:9. This is a picture of a similar model.
WS55413.jpg