my laptop

classichummus

on a break from forums
I think my fucking laptop has a virus or something. It is not working right. I'm not thrilled. I can't open my AV program, Windows Defender isn't running properly and won't update. This isn't very cool. I went to some site the other day and it opened a new tab that tried to get me to scan for viruses and tried to download something to my hard drive. I didn't let it, but somehow I think it got in. Last night MS Outlook started opening new windows over and over. they were cascading. I managed to get it to stop. I scanned for viruses with no luck. Today when I was on the internet, things weren't loading or connecting. I had to close all of my tabs and close the internet, except MSN was still working. It was strange. I can't wait for my neighbor to get home from work so he can help me fix this shit. I don't think I can call product support for Symantic since I don't think I have a legal copy. He just transfered it to my laptop so I'm not sure it's legal. This is frustrating. Thankfully I still have this piece of shit desktop!!!!

classichummus

on a break from forums
I was able to do a virus scan with Windows Defender and I found a Trojan: Win32/FakeXPA. I removed it. Symantec still won't open, so I'll reboot and hope for the best.

classichummus

on a break from forums
upon reboot I still got the message from Microsoft Windows:
"Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

A problem caused by the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
I was able to do a virus scan with Windows Defender and I found a Trojan: Win32/FakeXPA. I removed it. Symantec still won't open, so I'll reboot and hope for the best.
bolded the important part. You have two viruses.

Yub said:
format c:

Indeed. That's about the only way to get rid of norton sometimes as well.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
Heavily resource intensive, very invasive software that is overprotective and yet still completely ineffective. Also embeds itself so deep that it is a real pain in the ass to get rid of. You can get rid of Norton. It takes a team of trained professionals, but you can get rid of Norton.

classichummus

on a break from forums
format c:

No thanks! However, I might have to. :(

Originally Posted by classichummus
bolded the important part. You have two viruses. bolded the important part. You have two viruses.

I am lucky though. I don't have normal Norton, I have Symantec for business'. I said that to my neighbor when he deleted AVG from my computer and gave me Symantec. He said normal Norton is a virus, but this one is super light and just has anti virus and nothing else. This has made my comp run faster since it isn't loading so much extra shit like with other AV programs. It doesn't have the anti spyware, firewall, etc. He just transfered the folder to my laptop and did some more things I think and we were good to go. I have been happy with this one now.

Wait...what? I use Norton. Is Norton bad?

YES!!!! Normal Norton is a piece of shit. It took me awhile to go through on my desktop and remove it. I'm still not fully sure it's gone. Try and remove it and get something else. I was pretty happy with AVG, but my C drive was really full and it was making my comp slower. DON'T GET McCAFEE!!! IT IS A PIECE OF SHIT!!!! Research some good AV programs and get a better one. To fully delete Norton, you have to go deep within program files and such. It is a pain in the ass!! Unfortunately, many reviews for 2009 say the new Norton is great, but still it just has sooo much pointless shit that it makes it a pain in the ass!!!

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
As frustrating as McAfee is it's not actually that bad. The issue really with McAfee is it's overprotective and damned too good at it (large quantities of false positives and the updater takes almost all your RAM while it runs). At least it's not as hard as Norton to get the fuck rid of later.

Also, McAfee is probably the one antivirus program IN THE WORLD capable of attacking and destroying Norton. So, while it's not a fantastic product, if it's between Norton and McAfee, definitely go with the latter. It's at least capable of protecting you (if disabling half the net and telling you the sites are all evil to do so).

classichummus

on a break from forums
I AM BACK ON MY LAPTOP!!! NO MORE TROJAN!!!!! or at least I don't think... When I turned on my laptop this morning, it allowed me to open Symantec and run a full scan. It came up with NO threats!!! I was able to run the Windows Updater and Windows built in security features were fully working!!! It is great!! I am happy. I hope that this piece of shit is fully gone!!!

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
YES!!!! Normal Norton is a piece of shit. It took me awhile to go through on my desktop and remove it. I'm still not fully sure it's gone. Try and remove it and get something else. I was pretty happy with AVG, but my C drive was really full and it was making my comp slower. DON'T GET McCAFEE!!! IT IS A PIECE OF SHIT!!!! Research some good AV programs and get a better one. To fully delete Norton, you have to go deep within program files and such. It is a pain in the ass!! Unfortunately, many reviews for 2009 say the new Norton is great, but still it just has sooo much pointless shit that it makes it a pain in the ass!!!

Yes I knew about McCafee being shit. I will look into alternatives to Norton.

classichummus

on a break from forums
my only 2 problems with AVG were that it took up like 2 gb, making my comp slower and the firewall is super super secure and that it is annoying. I just turned it off and used the Windows firewall plus my router's firewall. If you have a good CPU, lots of hard drive space, and a good amount of RAM, it should be fine.
My laptop had only like less than 20 gb left on my C drive, 2 gb RAM, and a 1.7 GHz AMD Turion 64x2 processor plus I'm running Vista. So this thing was running slow. Now I have 3 gb ram and not running AVG so it is faster.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
Avast. I like the outside of Windows scan feature.