Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nr_6, Help Some Guy Understand 'The Prisoner'

And such wacky left responses to the whole thing.

And, of course, the primary left answer is that you need to get high in order to understand.

Sigh. I'll need to work up a rant.

I took it to mean we are all prisoners of our own minds, and you will never truely be free until you ignore the self imposed binds that sociaty places on you, and always say exactly whats on your mind, and do what you want to do. (within the law)

I just find the whole "I think better when I'm high" argument to be complete and utter bullshit.

I don't think the problem is so much a left/right divide as it is that I'm an empiricist. Altered states of consciousness are interesting, but I don't think they are particularly helpful in gaining truth.

As a side note, I'm now watching "Arrival" in 1080i. What a very nice day it is.

I'm so happy with my new DVD player, I may not be able to get angry enough to rant.

There might be something to letting the mind find it's own way around, without consciously guiding it, however.

Frequently, I find answers to my problems in that twilight between sleep and wakefulness, when my mental guard is at it's lowest, and I allow my mind to do what it wants to do.

Maybe some people achieve this state thru mind altering chemicals.

Yay for the DVD player! :D

Number_6 said:
I just find the whole "I think better when I'm high" argument to be complete and utter bullshit.

I don't think the problem is so much a left/right divide as it is that I'm an empiricist. Altered states of consciousness are interesting, but I don't think they are particularly helpful in gaining truth.

As a side note, I'm now watching "Arrival" in 1080i. What a very nice day it is.

I'm so happy with my new DVD player, I may not be able to get angry enough to rant.

Heh. I didn't take offense at the "high" thing, I was just having fun.

I've heard "what is the Prisoner really about" discussions for years (decades, actually) and yeah, most of them are up there with the dopey responses in that blog. So I look forward to your rant, should you work your way to one soon.

While there may be some value to subsequent thinking without conscious guidance, I cannot see the value in actually watching the show while in an altered state of consciousness, because you need to be clear-headed to process the information with which you're being presented.

I also have mental breakthroughs in the twilight area between being awake and falling asleep (or being asleep and waking up); however, I wouldn't try to read a book during that period.

Number_6 said:
While there may be some value to subsequent thinking without conscious guidance, I cannot see the value in actually watching the show while in an altered state of consciousness, because you need to be clear-headed to process the information with which you're being presented.

I also have mental breakthroughs in the twilight area between being awake and falling asleep (or being asleep and waking up); however, I wouldn't try to read a book during that period.
Points well traken. I wouldn't initially embark on a mental endeavor, either, in that twi-sleep state. Clear headedness is mandatory for an accurate assessment of a thought.

However, once initially assessed, that natural altered state of consciousness can work wonders, at times.

As I look through the many replies to that post, it appears that most of the theories regarding the last two episodes have been presented. Myself, I'm partial to the notion that Number Six must recognize that he, himself is Number One. He has a choice: he can either accept his status as Number Six--meaning most likely that he allows himself to be psychologically broken, which seems to be the function of the various Number Twos we encounter--or he refuses the dictates of society and becomes Number One. In essence, I think that Number Six emerges from the series as the ultimate existential hero, in the vein of Camus's The Rebel.

But I'll have to watch the last two episodes again, to see if I can add more specific references to it and make certain that my memories of them are correct. I've not watched The Prisoner all the way through since college.

Stupid people often think they're much smarter than they are because they're not smart enough to know what being smart is. I imagine it's the same with getting high; you become so stupid that everything you say seems brilliant.