Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMFG, Bob Woodruff nearly got killed!

BlazerBoy

ABC news department is apparantly reeling from news of thier injured collegue. However, saavy americans with an iota of common sense are NOT SUPRISED BY THIS NEWS. Us left thinking people may be dense when it comes to bringing democracy to Iraq, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when you are in a war-zone, YOU MIGHT ALMOST OR FLAT-OUT BE KILLED. A press release is filled with questions like, "How could this happen" or "Can we really deal with this after losing Peter Jennings?" and while I most certainly am not disrespecting anyone who was hurt or killed, you have to wonder if people realize that there is a WAR in Iraq right now? Its not a movie where pretend people are getting killed, and you hear about it on TV, and then the actors get up off the ground, and go get their paycheck. PEOPLE ARE DYING. ITS REAL.

Maybe ABC will do a better job of sensationalizing the news less now. Or maybe, this will push them all the way into the EVERYTHING IS BREAKING NEWS camp, like CNN and Fox.

I was thinking of taking a $150k tax-free job in Iraq for a year. However, I don't want to die, so I quickly decided not too.

Theres a reason why they are paying such high wages over there....

Yeah.

Some people I work(ed) with actually did go. In fact, their year is almost up now. However, it was a gamble I just didn't think was necessary. They were closer to retirement then I was, and can retire to one of those cheap to live in midwest states and live like a king with their retirement pensions, plus that.

I had a rep come visit me after I retired late last year. I have one friend that took the offer and a second that was going to but passed it up.

I've heard Black Water is one of the shadier organizations out there. Local rumor has it it's a CIA front. Either way, not worth the money that they offer.

That's the decision I came to also.

I looked at all the paperwork my former co-worker's got, and decided that for my area of expertise, I would be rather low on the "want" list and would probably be guarding some convoy of oil that would get hit by IEDs or something. He was a former Marine with MP and other training and expertise, and was able to get a more lucrative position.