Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Privacy takes another hit in war on terror

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
U.S. opening some private mail in terror fight

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/09/terrorism.mail.reut/index.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. officials are opening personal mail that arrives from abroad when they deem it necessary to protect the country from terrorism, a Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman said Monday.

News of the little-known practice follows revelations that the government approved eavesdropping on U.S. citizens without judicial oversight after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, which sparked concern from civil liberties advocates and some lawmakers, who called for congressional hearings.

"Customs and Border Protection is charged with making sure that terrorists and terrorists' weapons don't enter the country," said Suzanne Trevino, a spokeswoman for the customs agency, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

And?? So what? They're not destroying your mail, or preventing you from receiving it. They're merely screening it. Guess what? Sending and receiving mail isn't a right, it's a priviledge.

Big Dick McGee said:
And?? So what? They're not destroying your mail, or preventing you from receiving it. They're merely screening it. Guess what? Sending and receiving mail isn't a right, it's a priviledge.

Guess what? Privacy isn't a privilege, it's a right.

This is why I am so very glad I don't live in the United States.

PreatorX said:
Guess what? Privacy isn't a privilege, it's a right.

This is why I am so very glad I don't live in the United States.

Getting and receiving mail through The United States Postal Service is a privilege. Your privacy rights aren't being violated any more so than when you're being screened by airport security.

Big Dick McGee said:
Getting and receiving mail through The United States Postal Service is a privilege. Your privacy rights aren't being violated any more so than when you're being screened by airport security.

Let's see you say that when you get a body cavity search at the next airport you go through....

"Customs and Border Protection is charged with making sure that terrorists and terrorists' weapons don't enter the country," said Suzanne Trevino, a spokeswoman for the customs agency, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

"One of our areas of responsibility is to inspect international mail coming into our country," she said. "We respect privacy and always keep that at the forefront, but at the same time we need to make sure we do our job in keeping U.S. citizens safe."

Anyways, according to the article, the main purpose is to look for terrorists or terrorist weapons that may be being brought into the US through the mail. When I get to work this afternoon, I'll see if my M4 will fit in a standard size envelope and get back to you tonight.

And before you say it BDM, I'm aware that substances like anthrax can be sent through the mail in a plain white envepole. I'm also aware that the government has electronics that are capable of detecting trace amounts a small as 1/1 millionth of an ounce. I use one at work. It's called a Itomizer and can detect chemical, biological, explosive and narcotic residue in microscopic amounts. So I fail to see the justification for opening personal mail in the war on terrorism.

^^Does the article say that the US Government is opening mail sent from one location in the United States to another in the United States? No, it does not. The US Government is screening mail that originated outside the United States before it's delivered to an address within our borders. How is this any differen that going through customs when you get off an international flight? I've been to Japan eight or nine times now, they certainly make you fill out all the appropriate declaratory forms. They also have the right to search you, at random, to ensure you're not bringing contraband into the United States. How is mail screening any different?
Sure, guns can't fit into standard-sized envelopes, but the nature of these searches is random. The article mentions one specific instance of screening, and it happened to be a letter. That's pretty lazy on your part, to assume this one instance is indicative of all instances, or even the average instance.

Yeah, you're right. I never should have brought it up. Open one personal letter, tap one private phone conversation. No big deal. Didn't happen to you or me.

Tapping phone lines is wrong because it's illegal. The American public has determined (through lawyers and legislators) that we'd rather keep our telephone conversations private. Without a warrant, you're violating Federal Wiretap Laws.

There are no such laws on the books when it comes to screening or opening mail. If it's a big enough deal, and enough citizens express their concern or outrage, the practice will no doubt be made illegal.

I bet Cheneys having them check for kids birthday gifts from grandparents. I can see him now ripping envelopes with a letter opener, pulling cash out of them, and stuffing it in a big sack filled with money, and tossing the remaining letter into a fireplace.