Props to my boy Dork Lord for this forum, and my first action figure custom

Zombie Superman

I came for the brains
First of all, I am an aspiring writer in my spare time (which is precious little these days with a two year old and a full-time teaching gig) and also am branching out into other expressions of my artistic ability.

I've always envied those cats who do action figure customs, how they take something and make it look amazingly professional and skillfully sculpted, painted, etc.

Well, I have two projects on the agenda right now. The first is making a Zombie Superman action figure from a DC Superheroes Wave 4 Superman. I should get to work on that next week, funds willing.

My second project will be a little bigger and more personal: I want to repair and refit my very first Transformer and very first Optimus Prime. I've had him since I was six (I'm thirty one now) and he's got a broken right leg (my bloody nephews in on holiday!) and a broken smokestack.

I've got a cat from a Transformers fan forum who will trade his also-broken Prime with me so that I can replace the leg and smokestack. He tells me it won't be easy, but it'll be worth the money/time to get him back to his original appearance. After that, I'm going to try and make a display case for him and hang him in a place of honor.

So next week, I'll show you cats the preliminary work on ol' Superman as he goes from Man of Steel to Man of Undead Hunger.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Zombie Superman said:
First of all, I am an aspiring writer in my spare time (which is precious little these days with a two year old and a full-time teaching gig) and also am branching out into other expressions of my artistic ability.

I've always envied those cats who do action figure customs, how they take something and make it look amazingly professional and skillfully sculpted, painted, etc.

Well, I have two projects on the agenda right now. The first is making a Zombie Superman action figure from a DC Superheroes Wave 4 Superman. I should get to work on that next week, funds willing.

My second project will be a little bigger and more personal: I want to repair and refit my very first Transformer and very first Optimus Prime. I've had him since I was six (I'm thirty one now) and he's got a broken right leg (my bloody nephews in on holiday!) and a broken smokestack.

I've got a cat from a Transformers fan forum who will trade his also-broken Prime with me so that I can replace the leg and smokestack. He tells me it won't be easy, but it'll be worth the money/time to get him back to his original appearance. After that, I'm going to try and make a display case for him and hang him in a place of honor.

So next week, I'll show you cats the preliminary work on ol' Superman as he goes from Man of Steel to Man of Undead Hunger.

I know a guy in Barre that's been doing some serious sculpting for years...he makes parts and joints for models, and creates his own characters, in addition to trying to do franchises. he's pretty good.

Zombie Superman

I came for the brains
I'm going to get started today.

The first step for what I hope will be an easy custom is going to be to use a hobby knife to do some sculpting of Superman's face, to make it look more skull-like.

Once that's done, I'll do the paint application and go from there.

More to come