Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Railroaded Onto Death Row

Caitriona

Something Wicked
Interesting facts in this case. What the hell would you do?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184992,00.html

Railroaded Onto Death Row?

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

By Radley Balko

On Dec. 26, 2001, police in the small town of Prentiss, Miss., executed a marijuana search warrant on a small duplex.

On one side of the duplex lived Jamie Wilson, described in the search warrant and police affidavit as a "known drug dealer." When police pounded on her door, Wilson answered and surrendered. That, of course, is what you'd expect a small-time marijuana dealer to do.

On the other side of the duplex, 20-year-old Cory Maye had fallen asleep in an easy chair. His 18-month-old daughter lay asleep in the next room. Maye had only recently moved out of his parents' home. He had moved in with his girlfriend, because, he says, he wanted to be a father to his daughter. Maye was uncomfortable in his new home, and had expressed concerns to his mother about the seedy neighborhood surrounding it. Still, he promised to stick it out until after the holidays.

Late that night, Maye said he awoke to a furious pounding on his front door. According to his court testimony, he became frightened for his safety, and for the safety of his daughter. He ran back to the bedroom, where his daughter was asleep on the bed. He retrieved the gun he had for home protection, loaded it, chambered a round, and lay down on the floor next to her, hoping the noises and/or intruders outside would subside.

They didn't. Soon enough, Maye says, the door to Maye's bedroom flew open, and a figure entered from the outside. Scared, Maye fired his gun three times.
The figure was police officer Ron Jones, and one of Maye's bullets struck Jones in the abdomen, killing him. Worse for Maye, Jones also happened to be the son of the town's police chief.

The above is Cory Maye's version of events. As you might guess, the police offered a different account of the raid. They say they repeatedly announced they were police, and asked Maye to open up. They say an anonymous informant had told the investigating officer that there was a "large stash" of marijuana in the apartment Cory Maye shared with his girlfriend. And they say Cory Maye knew that Ron Jones was a police officer when he shot him.

A Mississippi jury believed the police. Last year, Cory Maye was found guilty of capital murder, or the intentional killing of a police officer. The same afternoon, he was sentenced to death. And today he sits on Mississippi's death row.

That Cory Maye is even in prison is an appalling failure of Mississippi's criminal justice system. Police had no reason to be in his home that night, much less to break down his door. His case is just the latest in a series of tragic consequences resulting from the overuse of paramilitary tactics when police serve drug warrants.

But it's the details of Cory Maye's case that make it particularly compelling:

Cory Maye had no prior criminal record. He had no history of violence. Police found one gram of ashen marijuana in Maye's apartment (that's about a sixth of a teabag's worth). There was no "large stash," and Cory Maye was no drug dealer. In fact, Maye's name appeared nowhere on the search warrant, only his address and the phrase "persons unknown."

Then there's the matter of the informant. We'll never know who that informant was, nor will we ever know what kind of corroborating investigation was done before securing the warrant. That's because the entire investigation leading up to the raid was conducted by the same Officer Ron Jones who was killed in the raid.

According to District Attorney Buddy McDonald, Jones kept no notes or documentation of his investigation of the Wilson-Maye duplex; and any investigation he may have done, in the words of McDonald, "died with Officer Jones."

Cory Maye may well have been a recreational pot smoker. But then, possession of a misdemeanor amount of pot doesn't justify an armed home invasion. Cory Maye may also have fired his gun too quickly. But what would you have done? You have no criminal record. You aren't a dangerous person. You have no reason to think police would break into your home in the middle of the night. You awake to find that your home is under attack. The door flies open. Do you wait to see who it is? Or do you defend your family?

Don't think it can't happen. There are dozens of examples of late night "no-knock" drug raids executed on the wrong home, or on people guilty of, at worst, misdemeanor offenses. Any gun owner willing to defend his family from intruders could well be in the same position Cory Maye was in four years ago.

At the very worst, Maye is guilty of recklessness. It's horrifying to think he could be executed for an error in judgment, an error compounded by volatile circumstances, a frightening assault, and high-stakes drama, none of which were of his making.

But it gets worse. For the last 10 years, Bob Evans has been public defender for the town of Prentiss. Late last year, Evans says he was warned by town officials not to represent Cory Maye in his appeal. Evans ignored the threats, and gave Maye representation. In January of this year, Prentiss made good on its promise, and fired Evans.

According to Evans, Prentiss Mayor Charlie Dumas told him point blank that he was terminated for representing Cory Maye. In a phone interview, Mayor Dumas confirmed having a conversation with Evans, but declined to go into specifics. Calls to the town's aldermen weren't returned, or were answered with "no comment."

If Evans version of events are true, the firing of Evans stinks. It's the kind of thing public officials do when they have something to hide. And it only adds to the already obvious notion that the town of Prentiss doesn't much care about giving Cory Maye a fair shake at justice.

Cory Maye should unite both liberal death penalty foes and conservative gun rights advocates. If Tookie Wilson's execution bothered you, Maye's should terrify you. And if you're troubled by Waco, you should be outraged by Prentiss.

I think Maye deserves an apology. He certainly doesn't deserve death.

Death Row is chock-full of "innocent" men. In fact, the prisons are also about 99% "innocent men".

I mean, that's what the convicts always say.

Big Dick McGee said:
Death Row is chock-full of "innocent" men. In fact, the prisons are also about 99% "innocent men".

I mean, that's what the convicts always say.
Well, the evidence says that many innocent men have been put to death in the United States.

LOL it was worth it.
gsthumb.gif

MessengerX said:
Well, the evidence says that many innocent men have been put to death in the United States.

LOL it was worth it.
gsthumb.gif
This has been studied, yes...

...that's what brought about death penalty moratoriums in some states, the sudden discovery of how many demonstrably innocent individuals were sitting around on death row, or had already been executed.

^^Right, like the guy in Virginia who swore as they put the needle in him that he was innocent, they were executing an innocent man. He convinced 100's of supporters, they kept the facts of the case alive, so sure were they that an innocent man had been executed.

Sometime last year, DNA evidence was found. "At last!" they cried, "We'll prove that the State executed an innocent man! At last they'll see how wrong they are!!!"

Except, what? That's right, the DNA proved that the "innocent" man had raped and murdered the woman he was executed for raping and murdering. Oopsie.

Big Dick McGee said:
^^Right, like the guy in Virginia who swore as they put the needle in him that he was innocent, they were executing an innocent man. He convinced 100's of supporters, they kept the facts of the case alive, so sure were they that an innocent man had been executed.

Sometime last year, DNA evidence was found. "At last!" they cried, "We'll prove that the State executed an innocent man! At last they'll see how wrong they are!!!"

Except, what? That's right, the DNA proved that the "innocent" man had raped and murdered the woman he was executed for raping and murdering. Oopsie.
So because one guilty person claimed he was innocent, innocent people who claim they are innocent should die? Are you seriously this daft?

No, I'm saying I don't believe there are any innocent people who have been executed. Innocent people In prison? Maybe. Probably. But not executed. There are far too many appeals to go through, it's pretty impossible to execute an innocent person.

As the above case illustrates. There have been countless cases reopened (just ask Al Dershowitz) to take advantage of new DNA tests, and not one has been found to be a case where an innocent man was executed.

Of course, you'll probably claim that the State "rigged" the tests to avoid being blamed. Dang! Took that excuse away from ya, didn't I?? :)

You proved my point! Thanks! Was he executed?? Um, no, he wasn't, he was released. During the appeals process he was found to be innocent.

My point stands, there has not been one case where an innocent man has been executed. Some have sat on death row, but none have been executed.

Big Dick McGee said:
You proved my point! Thanks! Was he executed?? Um, no, he wasn't, he was released. During the appeals process he was found to be innocent.
No, that man was released because the true criminal was found.

What if he wasn't?

My point stands, there has not been one case where an innocent man has been executed. Some have sat on death row, but none have been executed.

OMG!!! Have you even bothered to study this more?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/executg2.htm

Equal Justice USA has documented 16 instances where individuals were executed in spite of their probable innocence.

Hugo Adam Bedau and Michael L. Radelet found that at least 23 probably innocent people were executed between 1900 and 1987.

You're opinion has been rendered as being totally fallacious. Now, do you have some more emotions to add?

I like that they were probably innnocent. Just like the guy in Virginia that had 100's of people believing he didn't rape and murder a young mother. Only yeah, he did do it.

I'm sure if you approach your research with a specific agenda, say, proving that innocent people have been executed, I'm sure you'll "probably" find a couple.

And let's cut the bullshit about going back to the 1900's. I would say that any data prior to like 1920 is suspect, because law-enforcement wasn't exactly a whole lot better than the Keystone cops. Of those 23 that were "probably" innocent, how many executions occurred prior to the 20's?

Big Dick McGee said:
I like that they were probably innnocent. Just like the guy in Virginia that had 100's of people believing he didn't rape and murder a young mother. Only yeah, he did do it.
Why do you continue citing examples of guilty people?

Are you a Texan?

Probably innocent isn't a shadow of a doubt? You'd be singing a different tune if you were wrongly accused.

Big Dick McGee said:
There are far too many appeals to go through, it's pretty impossible to execute an innocent person.

Except that is not how an appeals process works. They do not look at the facts of the case again to determine guilt or innocence. The appeals process is there to appeal procedural problems. If there is some procedural error they can order a new trial. Applet courts do not even look at new evidence unless there is some procedural error that can be tied to the evidence not being heard by the trier of fact originally [there are some exceptions and it is state by state].

It's not like each appeal is a new trial. That's just not how it works at all.

It could happen that an innocent man could go through the entire appeals process and be executed.

Big Dick McGee said:

No, that's not what happened. Another man was found to be the guilty party and the state probably decided to petition the court to release the originally convicted man. He was not release through any appeals process.

That's what you're not getting. The appeals process is not another bite at the apple to prove innocence or guilt.

Exactly. The conviction and the system which brings it about is considered infallible in itself. As long as every worker bee does its job, the guilty are always guilty, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Boo hoo hoo. Give me an hour and I'll post my sob story. The news here is that the system is fucked up, is anyone ever surprised? That's why you have to keep your nose clean.

Hugo Adam Bedau and Michael L. Radelet found that at least 23 probably innocent people were executed between 1900 and 1987.

Except, this case didn't happen in 1900. Or in 1987. It happened in 2001

The death penalty has become a very contentious issue in this country. Even more so than in 1987, for the very reasons you've pointed out here MX. A group of 12 people decided that this man was guilty of murdering a police officer in cold blood. Those same 12 people (most presumably) decided that he needed to pay the ultimate price for that crime.

I can believe that 12 people can find someone guilty of murder. However, I cannot believe that 12 people would recommend the death penalty, just based on circumstantial evidence like the stuff posted in the original article. (Which, btw, only posted one side of the story and had the aura of an opinion piece, rather than an actual "just the facts article", but hey, that's just me). There are two sides to every story. Only one was posted here.

And lets not mention the fact that some judge, somewhere, thought that there was enough presumption that narcotics activity was happening in this residence that a search warrant was issued to search it. That doesn't happen on just a word of a junkie who's looking for a deal. Judges need something concrete to base their decision on. Stuff that's written down. Even if it says "confidential source" he can seal the document so that nobody except those who "need to know" have access to it.

And its also funny that you mention appeals. Any appellate court would look at the fact that the public defender was fired becaue he defended this guy. They would take that all into consideration when looking at the inevitable "there should have been a change of venue because the trial court had a bias and/or could not get a jury pool that was unbiased due to the proximity or media attention in the case" appeal that happens 100% of the time in death penalty cases. Its an absolute given that a change of venue appeal will happen in a case like this, among other appeals that calls everything into question.

Anyhoo, this article only shows us one side of the story. Yeah, what it says could lead one to believe that a miscarriage of justice has happened. But not everything has been said, and there are some very big holes in the story.

Big Dick McGee said:

And in many other cases, DNA evidence being dug up has demonstrated that someone else did it.

In a number of cases, years after the execution. It's a very well known fact that innocent people get executed. What can be disputed is the precise fraction of executed people who are innocent - but that, given the studies into the matter, only by so much.

While we don't have the whole picture, what we have gives us good reason to doubt the honesty, integrity, and legality of that town's police department's habits. They didn't keep any notes, any documentation, or anything else on record... and smash into an apartment that they weren't supposed to. The warrant was for someone else's apartment. WTF, dude?

Given they weren't following proper procedure to that degree, it's no surprise that many of us reading the article came to the conclusion he was telling the truth about the police not identifying themselves clearly before he shot.

This makes more than reasonable doubt in what is otherwise a case of one man's word against another, both of whom could be found guilty of wrongdoing depending on the truth of the matter.

This makes more than reasonable doubt in what is otherwise a case of one man's word against another, both of whom could be found guilty of wrongdoing depending on the truth of the matter.

Then why did a jury of 12 convict and recommend that he be executed? Hmm? Surely they had all of the facts, and not just what's been said in this article?

Remember, this is Post LAPD Rampart scandal. Nobody trusts "secret police infomants" anymore. Everything has to have a factual proof before judges issue warrants.