Remakes you'd like to see.

Sredni Vashtar

the beautiful
As the spark of originality continues to dwindle from the Hollywood zeitgeist, I'm hereby jumping on the Retro Bandwagon {or whatever they're calling it now) and declaring what shows & movies I'd like to see remade:

The Six Million Dollar Man: Honestly surprised that they haven't done this yet...and of course these days $6M will probably fund a bionic toenail.

StarBlazers: Lose the "lets hollow out a derelict WWII battleship and make a starship inside!" idea; throw some more chicks in it and you have a hell of series: A real timeline drama with great characters and plot twists, all ready to go.

Soylent Green: I actually watched the whole thing for the first time a few months ago. With CGI like Massiv (?) they could really go nuts portraying the hordes of an overpopulated earth. And putting the whole "...it's PEOPLE!!!" part a little earlier in the narrative, so we can see what effect this revelation has on the populace, would make the ending slightly less retarded.

Laserblast: One of the dumbest movies ever made so I say WHY THE FUCK NOT? It could only improve by comparison to the original. (In case you've never heard of it: A teenager gets an alien weapon attached to his arm which possesses him and he roams the countryside, randomly blowing shit up until the aliens track him down. The End.) Seriously, It's like a film for people who thought Repo Man was too intellectual, but with the right director & script the potential for both satire and popcorn-gnoshin fun is gigantic.

The Car: Very obscure horror flick (don't know if it's even available on DVD or VHS...I have an old bootleg) from '77 about an indestructible, driverless, hearse-like car that roams the highways mowing people down. It's essentially a 100-minute Twilight Zone episode that rode the demon-possession wave of films like Exorcist and Omen. But again: Lots of potential, and the ending kicks prodigious ass.

More later.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
There was a rumor going around last year or the year before that "they" were going to remake "The Six Million Dollar Man" as a theatrical release starring Jim Carrey. I think it was supposed to be a comedy. Thank fuck that didn't happen.

StarBlazers I've never heard of.

Soylent Green doesn't need to be touched.

Laserblast: Man, that was a piece of shit. I suppose it could be remade, but WHY? Maybe as a tax writeoff for some poor dying studio.

The Car: I actually liked this one, sorta. I'm pretty sure the demon-possessed car motif was strictly a trend from the 70s and early 80s..."Duel", "Christine", etc. Although it might be funny if they remade it with the villain being a classically restored Yugo or something. VROOM.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
They are advertising a new t.v. show about the Bionic Woman -- will that do?

I saw the movie "The Car". I vividly recall some of those hysterical scenes. It was an obscure enough made for t.v. movie that it could probably be improved upon with a remake. Other than that, I don't care for remakes. Most of them suck air like a Dyson. If a old movie was that good, it absolutely does not need a remake hack job. Leave the good movies alone, go with trying to improve schlock movies.

Dark Link

Morituri te salutant
The Black Hole. It was a good old school Sci-Fi movie, but I think with a little help from ILM and a director with some vision, it could turn into one of the greatest movie remakes ever.

Sredni Vashtar

the beautiful
Enkephalen said:
I saw the movie "The Car". I vividly recall some of those hysterical scenes. It was an obscure enough made for t.v. movie that it could probably be improved upon with a remake.

That one actually got a theatrical release. I remember sneaking into a matinee in my long-gone hometown movie theater with my older bro, when I was like 6.

Other than that, I don't care for remakes. Most of them suck air like a Dyson. If a old movie was that good, it absolutely does not need a remake hack job. Leave the good movies alone, go with trying to improve schlock movies.

My thoughts EXACTLY.
:D

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Sredni Vashtar said:
As the spark of originality continues to dwindle from the Hollywood zeitgeist, I'm hereby jumping on the Retro Bandwagon {or whatever they're calling it now) and declaring what shows & movies I'd like to see remade:

The Six Million Dollar Man: Honestly surprised that they haven't done this yet...and of course these days $6M will probably fund a bionic toenail.

StarBlazers: Lose the "lets hollow out a derelict WWII battleship and make a starship inside!" idea; throw some more chicks in it and you have a hell of series: A real timeline drama with great characters and plot twists, all ready to go.

Soylent Green: I actually watched the whole thing for the first time a few months ago. With CGI like Massiv (?) they could really go nuts portraying the hordes of an overpopulated earth. And putting the whole "...it's PEOPLE!!!" part a little earlier in the narrative, so we can see what effect this revelation has on the populace, would make the ending slightly less retarded.

Laserblast: One of the dumbest movies ever made so I say WHY THE FUCK NOT? It could only improve by comparison to the original. (In case you've never heard of it: A teenager gets an alien weapon attached to his arm which possesses him and he roams the countryside, randomly blowing shit up until the aliens track him down. The End.) Seriously, It's like a film for people who thought Repo Man was too intellectual, but with the right director & script the potential for both satire and popcorn-gnoshin fun is gigantic.

The Car: Very obscure horror flick (don't know if it's even available on DVD or VHS...I have an old bootleg) from '77 about an indestructible, driverless, hearse-like car that roams the highways mowing people down. It's essentially a 100-minute Twilight Zone episode that rode the demon-possession wave of films like Exorcist and Omen. But again: Lots of potential, and the ending kicks prodigious ass.

More later.

Cool. I'd love to see a remake of Carnival of Souls, along the lines of the remakes being done with TCSM and Dawn of the Dead.

The Birds. It's Time.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (actually all they have to do is edit this one properly)

Eaten Alive - Hooper did this right after the first TCSM, so it was still shot in that grainy 16mm negative, but it's totally perverse, and worthy of decent retreatment.

Tourist Trap - that Chuck Connors obscurity should be redone. Maybe they could CGI him?

Motel Hell(o) Remember the "Cabbage Patch"?? What a blast. "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent Fritters" LOL

American Psycho - I'll bet after The Machinist Bale could redo this one properly.

More later. Great thread!

Harry Balzac

Fuck this place.
Fuck every movie made or re-made.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
jack said:
Cool. I'd love to see a remake of Carnival of Souls, along the lines of the remakes being done with TCSM and Dawn of the Dead.

Maybe. That film holds a special place in my heart, though.

The Birds. It's Time.

Why not? I've never trusted birds, btw.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (actually all they have to do is edit this one properly)

Eaten Alive - Hooper did this right after the first TCSM, so it was still shot in that grainy 16mm negative, but it's totally perverse, and worthy of decent retreatment.

I really wouldn't mind seeing a remake of either of these.

Tourist Trap - that Chuck Connors obscurity should be redone. Maybe they could CGI him?

Or just substitute a 1970s JC Penney mannequin with an unkempt hairdo...

Motel Hell(o) Remember the "Cabbage Patch"?? What a blast. "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent Fritters" LOL

This is actually the reason I'm responding to this post. Best. Tagline. Ever.