RIP Andy Whitfield (39)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
How incredibly sudden...
Spartacus Star Andy Whitfield Loses Battle with Cancer at 39

By Seth Abramovitch Sep 11, 2011 11:44 PM

Andy Whitfield, the handsome Australian actor who starred in the first season of Starz's gladiator drama Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died at age 39 from non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, the network confirms.

His wife, Vashti Whitfield, issued this statement:

"On a beautiful, sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer. He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."

A statement from Starz president Chris Albrecht:

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life. Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans."

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Yeah, just saw this on IMDB. :(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OMG. Goodbye Sparty :(

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Ugh, lymphoma. God bless him.

RIP

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I really thought he was going to get better and be all ok. :(

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
RIP.

did I mention I fucking HATE cancer.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't a big fan of the show but that seems rather inconsequential now. It's kind of scary to see a guy that was that fit and seemingly healthy succumb to the big C so quickly and suddenly.

Just goes to show that all our asses are on borrowed time.

R.I.P Andy.