Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router help!!

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I'm finally replacing my 5-year-old Linksys router with a new one. The linksys is just too slow for good streaming video, plus when my phone and PS3 and laptop are all connected, the speed isn't great.

I stupidly bought a Belkin N300 Surf from Best Buy because they didn't have the Cisco I wanted in stock. The Belkin is going back, I couldn't even get it to work, despit its claim of a 3-step setup. I can't be bothered to call some Indian and try and get it to work.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with a Cisco router, most likely this one. It got great reviews on Cnet.com

Anyone have any input??

My Belkin is nice and has some flashy buttons.

Occasionally I turn it off to annoy / frustrate my teenage son, When I turn it back on again it always works.

I just love to see my son desperately looking cross as he can't access facebook, but well aware that he cannot say anything as it is past the time in the evening he is supposed to be on it.

^^LOL, nice. Gonna make the switch on Friday. I'm sure the Belkin would work, but I don't have the time or energy for something that doesn't work straight out of the box.

Does any wireless router work straight out of the box? I've never seen one like that...

At minimum you have to program a password so your neighbors don't freeload off your bandwidth.

When my IT people said I needed a bigger, stronger router to handle all the work equipment in my house, they got me a Linksys WHP400. It has served me well.

Cisco owns Linksys, BTW.

I killed all my neighbours and buried them in the garden. It was simpler than working out the password settings on my router.

Does any wireless router work straight out of the box? I've never seen one like that...

At minimum you have to program a password so your neighbors don't freeload off your bandwidth.

When my IT people said I needed a bigger, stronger router to handle all the work equipment in my house, they got me a Linksys WHP400. It has served me well.

Cisco owns Linksys, BTW.

Yeah, the Cisco router I'll be getting is the Linksys E2000. The old Linksys I have works well, it's just slow, especially when I have a laptop, iPhone and PS3 all connecting at the same time. Plus, my Kindle, she no likely this router sometimes.

I know I'll have to create a wifi network name and password. When I say "work out of the box" I mean I won't have to sit there and get error messages that the router can't connect to my modem and it's the modem's problem and I need to call India and be on an episode of "Outsourced".