So PayPal can eat a bag of dicks...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You've given them access to your bank account. And every time they think you've committed a Thought Crime, they'll take $2,500 out. And by continuing to do business with them, you've agreed to this.

Oops.

That kind of blew up in their face. Tons of people canceled their accounts. Bigwigs that used to work for/found them spoke out against it. Their stock took a nosedive. So they were like "IT WAS ALL A MISTAKE! WE DIDN'T MEAN IT! IT WAS A TYPO!" But the damage is done. "Get woke..."

It's interesting, looking at their stock performance. Because it maps perfectly to the Coronapocalypse. It bumped along and did well enough until people weren't allowed to leave their houses. Then, a huge mountain of profits. And once people were allowed to leave their houses again, back to below where it was. Opportunity knocks once. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

The Question

Eternal
That kind of shit shouldn't be legal. And, in fact, it probably isn't.

"Meh-meh-meh-meh PRIVATE COOMPANEEEE!!!"

Doesn't matter.

Does. Not. Fucking. Matter.

If you rent a house, the Mayor of your town can't direct your landlord to hire a squad of mercenaries to kick your door down, rough you up, and steal your shit in retaliation for you burning an American flag.

There is some shit that neither the government, nor private businesses acting on its direction as proxies, have the legitimate authority to do.

And I don't know why Paypal would bother to lie and claim this was a 'mistake'. Maybe the mistake was, they didn't mean for us to be so loudly and broadly alerted to it. Most likely, this shit would have been crammed into fine print waaaaaay at the bottom of a ToS change notice.

"Oh, jeez, but we weren't really gonna!"

Bullshit. They just didn't really want to give anybody forewarning that they totally were gonna.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
You've given them access to your bank account. And every time they think you've committed a Thought Crime, they'll take $2,500 out. And by continuing to do business with them, you've agreed to this.

Oops.

That kind of blew up in their face. Tons of people canceled their accounts. Bigwigs that used to work for/found them spoke out against it. Their stock took a nosedive. So they were like "IT WAS ALL A MISTAKE! WE DIDN'T MEAN IT! IT WAS A TYPO!" But the damage is done. "Get woke..."

It's interesting, looking at their stock performance. Because it maps perfectly to the Coronapocalypse. It bumped along and did well enough until people weren't allowed to leave their houses. Then, a huge mountain of profits. And once people were allowed to leave their houses again, back to below where it was. Opportunity knocks once. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

You make a good point. However I use Paypal as a secure fund transferer (like Venmo) and nothing more. You can say a lot about both those services but my bank communicates with me fluently when there's any out of the ordinary transactions so I feel pretty secure.

Otherwise they don't have access to my account without my permission and consent.

FACT

The Question

Eternal
Interesting thing to ponder: Paypal does have the mechanism by which they could withdraw money from your bank account. Hypothetical: Let's say Paypal does that. Who do you think your bank will side with if you dispute it?

jack

Interesting thing to ponder: Paypal does have the mechanism by which they could withdraw money from your bank account. Hypothetical: Let's say Paypal does that. Who do you think your bank will side with if you dispute it?
The bank always sides with me in any dispute, although sometimes I have to get a new debit card out of it while they hash out the details.

The Question

Eternal
Guess what, kids? They snuck it back in.

42d0c8013a4d682ed3cf566c9b1f61fe.png

The Question

Eternal
What are the "restricted activities"?
2e99bbd260f97bce9225e1ee3329aba3.png

So, yeah. $2,500 "fine" for dissenting from orthodoxy is back.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Luckily I already cancelled.

jack

Its funny I rarely use paypal. I use Venmo a lot more (much easier and easy to access) so all of this dont mean a whole lot to me personally.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Of course Venmo is owned by PayPal, so keep an eye on the fine print.

The Question

Eternal
Of course Venmo is owned by PayPal, so keep an eye on the fine print.
Yep. Same company, same problem, just under what is basically an alias.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
In a related note, I got Venmo. I didn't want Venmo, but my problem child tenant asked if he could pay in Venmo this winter. Didn't get it set up in time so we did PayPal. Next month I had it set up and he claimed he didn't have Venmo. Bitch, you *asked* for it and I'm looking right at your account as you tell me this. So when his lease ended he became someone else's problem child. But I still had Venmo. So I went to cancel it. But it said I couldn't because I had a business account, so an admin would have to cancel that. Jumped through the hoops to make that happen but a few weeks later I realized I still had Venmo. So I went in to cancel it. And it told me I couldn't because I had a business account that an admin would have to cancel. :rwmad:

jack

broken-record.gif