Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Springfield micro-compact

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
GAmicro_080405A.jpg

I have to admit it caught my eye. I've always been a revolver-girl, but this is... well cute! Light weight, 3 " barrel and it's a Springfield!

:D
mm

Is that the new .45 G.A.P that they were going to be putting out?

I'm not too keen yet on the G.A.P. I can see the possiblities, but till its been around for a while and more companys start using it I'm going to hold on to my optimism.

Not to mention, there are two very, very good things about standardization of ammunition -- competition results in better quality at lower cost (ideally, at least) and in a worst-case scenario, the rarer the ammunition, the less likely it is that you'll be able to restock your supply of it.

I'm a life-long fan of the 1911A1 and all of it's clones and I've owned a few of Springfield's "Ultra-compact" models. I have no qualms with Springfield's quality and I own several to this day.

But, I'll caution you to one thing. Having grown up shooting 5" full size 1911A1's the balance is just "off" and it doesn't feel "right" in my hands. However, if you're not a life time devotee, this may not be problem for you.

When you say the balance feels off, do you mean too little fore and too much aft? I can see how it might feel that way, but it's something you could get used to, right?

I could go either way on the wheelgun/semiauto issue. Semiautos have a higher capacity (even the beyond-6 revolvers I've seen only went to 8 or 9 chambers), but if I understand it correctly, revolvers are more reliable.

The Question said:
When you say the balance feels off, do you mean too little fore and too much aft? I can see how it might feel that way, but it's something you could get used to, right?

You're exactly right. There's not enough weight on the front of the weapon to keep it down.

Also, this weapon is, indeed, a "lightweight" and when you figure the felt recoil of 230gr +P .45ACP ammo in a full-size 5", well, I bet it's a nice thump and I bet you get a beautiful fireball out the other end.

But, if we're going to go full on geek mode...

I still say one of the best concealment guns every thought of is a Colt Commander slide on an Officer's Model frame. They were big back in the late 70's and early 80's, but they're very hard to find now and I own neither to cannabalize.

^ And with the current 1911 craze, it would be pricey to undertake nowadays.

I was just looking at the S&W site. They want a grand for a Scantium framed 1911. :shock:

I do believe he meant Scandium which is a silvery-white metallic element found in various rare minerals and separated as a byproduct in the processing of certain uranium ores