Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek 2 (XII) Bits and Bobs

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Writers reveal Star Trek 2 details
It definitely won’t be a remake...

BY Josh Winning Jan 26th 2010 9:09AM

Adding to today’s sequel chatter, the writers of Star Trek 2 have revealed a few juicy tidbits about what to expect from their script.

Writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci got their fanboy on with TrekMovie and discussed what they’re been working on for the sequel.

First of all, they want to make it clear that they have no interest in re-visiting or remaking any of the previous Trek films.

As for where the sequel picks up, that’s still up in the air.

“Should we pick them up immediately the next day or should it be later?” Orci said. “We are still discussing that.”

Meanwhile, Kurtzman talked about the possibilities of the sequel’s villain:

“I think our idea on this is that the first of any series is about them coming together or the formation. I couldn't really tell you what Jeff Bridges was doing in Iron Man, but it doesn't matter at all because it is all about Iron Man becoming Iron Man.

“Whereas I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about.

“That is why Wrath of Khan was so amazing. Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the [ultimate] sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well.”

Star Trek 2 will go on general release on 29 June, 2012.

The longer, more complete Q&A transcript can be found HERE.

Every TV episode may not need a villain (like, say, The Inner Light or Children of Time or The Visitor), but popcorn movies do. And Trek movies are popcorn movies.

Any good story needs a real conflict to resolve. Insurrection showed that not having much at stake makes for a pretty silly (and dull) Trek movie. (Apologies to the memory of Mike Pillar)

So much for the scene at the end of STAR TREK XII where Khan says:

"Harry Mudd. Ruler of Pacifica. Activate the machine."

They could always time travel to the 1930's and have to dress like gangsters!