Story for the day (Tuesday)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
He couldn't take it anymore. He had to move.

He enjoyed lying on his bed. It was what he'd look forward to, all those years. He could still remember them. Time was still moving at the same rate. Nothing had changed. Of course, the army of nano-bots maintaining his body and mind to make sure nothing changed. He'd go and see Lisa. He did that every decade.

He found he couldn't move his legs.

No problem, of course. As soon as he noticed, there were nano-bots working on the problem. He could feel his legs growing stronger. Ah yes, they were fine now.

"Is anything amiss, sir?" asked his android. It had went through many different personality over the centuries, but, in the end, he'd went back to having it speak like an English butler. It just seemed proper.

"No, Jeeves, everything is fine," he said. He was pleasantly surprised at how the words came out.

"I am most glad to hear it."

He floated along to the door. He wasn't actually floating, of course, they he could have programmed the nano-bots to make him float if he had wanted to. He headed along the corridor, serenly. Nothing had changed. He didn't see anyone lounging around the corridor. He remembered the time when John had slept on the floor outside his room for three years. He smiled at the memory.

He pressed the buzzer on Lisa's door. It opened automatically. Good, she was accepting visitors.

Lisa was sitting on the bed, her VR helmet on, but not turned on. Still, her eyes looked glazed over. Hmm, not good. Shoudln't her nano-bots fix that? Then again, maybe she'd turned them off. That was worrying. Would he get anything out of her? He looked for her android. It was lying in pieces on the floor. Not good at all. He sat down on the bed beside her. She still didn't move.

"Hello, Lisa," he said. "Been a long time." No response. "Your helmet isn't turned on, you know," he said. He couldn't think of anything else.

"I know," she said, surprising him. She still did not look at him, though. Her eyes remained the same.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Waiting," she said.

"Oh?"

"French Revolution," she said.

"You're waiting for the French Revolution?" A few times in the past, he'd gotten confused about the flow of time. His VR games had even mixed up with his memories at times, and he'd thought he was somewhere in the past. He didn't like that. It was startling, it was wrong. He'd made sure to tell his nano-bots to not let it happen again.

"No," she said, still impassive. "It's my favourite game. I played it, fairly recently. Fourteen years. Don't want to play it again so soon. So I'm waiting. Have another two years to wait."

"Oh, right," he said. "At least you can still enjoy yourself!" She said nothing. "I though, maybe, we could do something together."

"Did we used to date?" she asked.

"Umm, yeah, Lisa," he said, hurt that she didn't remember. He remembered every moment of it. "For two hundred years."

"I dated once gay for five hundred," she said. "Who was that?"

"John," he said. "He slept outside my room for a while...I don't know why."

"I liked him better than you."

"Oh. Well, I suppose it's important to keep busy, while we wait, so I just thought..."

"Wait? This is eternity."

"It's not, it's..."

"A billion years," she said. "It's eternity."

"We've already been here for thousands!" he said. "It will pass! And then..."

"Then we can die," she said.

"Well, maybe not. I still believe that something else will happen, a new phase of existence, that there must be some point to all this..."

"I remember you now," she said. "You're a retard."

"Oh."

"You can leave now."

He got up. "Lisa...do you remember anything of the time before we came here?"

"No," she said instantly. A lie? Well, it didn't matter. Even if she did remember her real life, she wouldn't remember it the way it really was. She wouldn't remember that he had been a part of it.

She wouldn't remember that it was his fault she was here.

CaptainWacky

BUMP because this is a plot-heavy continuing story and the lack of replies (or thread views) probably doesn't justify it continuing BUT I SUPPOSE I SHOULD KEEP WRITING FOR THE LOVE OF WRITING?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
PLease never stop writing.

CaptainWacky

I cater to a niche market (the Cassie niche.)