The Best Money I Ever Spent and Why I'm No Rocket Scientist

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I live in an old house with old drains and the drain pipes get plugged up on occasion. I used to deal with the hand-cranked pipe spinners and sometimes called a plumber when I just couldn't get the thing plugging up the pipes. Then, a few years back, I saw an electric pipe spinner at the hardware store and bought the thing. It works fantastic and is easy to use. It is one of the best things I've ever bought. I know - you are thinking why not put a drain cover on the drains. We've tried that and for some very odd reason - read into that ghosties or some other odd phenomenon - the drain covers all come undone and wind up in the pipes, bent up and causing problems.

Well, the bath tub drain has been getting slower and slower to drain the past few days and this morning my shower turned into a bath. So, tonight I got out the snazzy handy-dandy electric pipe spinner and set about clearing the drain. I fed that pipe spinner into the pipe for a long time before it finally got hold of the plug. The plug was tough, too, and I had to manually pull the pipe spinner back out of the drain because the motor just wasn't strong enough. Turns out it was a piece of wash cloth - looks like about half of one. I was so proud of myself and so pleased with my investment that has once again paid off.

Now, this is why I'm not allowed to be a rocket scientist. Curious at how far the pipe spinner went down into the tub drain, I stood up to measure the length pulled out against my height. I'm just under 5'4" or just over 5'3-1/2". The pipe spinner had fed out my height plus about a foot. The bathtub drain is a long one. So, my curiosity satisfied and standing there with the really long twisty pipe spinner dangling from my hand over my head, next to the shower curtain, I stepped on the foot pedal to start retracting the pipe spinner back into the auto spinner body so I could put the thing away.

Did you catch that part about standing next to the shower curtain? Yeah. Immediately the pipe spinner got twisted up like a pretzel in the shower curtain and the shower curtain liner. Thank goodness it wasn't my hair! Had to take the shower curtain rod down, slip the curtain and liner off the rod, cut part of the curtain and liner away and unwind the rest so I could get the spinner retracted to put away.

Should I mention that two cats were sitting in the bathroom window extremely interested in what I was doing with electrical things and wirey things and sharp things? Well, they were. I think they were laughing at me too.

Fortunately, I had recently purchased a new liner, curtain and shower curtain rings because it is the time of year I freshen up the house with cleaner and newer stuff that can easily and inexpensively be replaced.

So, I'm guessing there is a moral to this story. Like - don't be so pleased with yourself at what you do because you could wind up being entertainment for the cats.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
So, I'm guessing there is a moral to this story. Like - don't be so pleased with yourself at what you do because you could wind up being entertainment for the cats.
The cats are probably the ones responsible for both ghost-moving your drain covers and stuffing them, the 1/2 washcloth and whatever else down the pipes, --AND they're getting a free show out of it, courtesy you and your roto-rooter (the brand name for that kind of device over in my neck of the woods.)

Moral to the story: CATZ ROOL