The heat is on: Global warming is the real deal

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
link
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/03/26/coverstory/t1.ntime.cover.sun26.jpg

No one can say exactly what it looks like when a planet takes ill, but it probably looks a lot like Earth. Never mind what you've heard about global warming as a slow-motion emergency that would take decades to play out. Suddenly and unexpectedly, the crisis is upon us. From heat waves to storms to floods to fires to massive glacial melts, the global climate seems to be crashing around us.
How long can repubo-heads run away from the truth? Will we survive their arrogance, selfishness and ignorance?

Hambil said:
link

How long can repubo-heads run away from the truth? Will we survive their arrogance, selfishness and ignorance?

unfortunately it won't be until a glacier is creeping down Pennsylvania ave.

Whenever I hear that "all credible scientists are supporting the theory of global warming" I'm reminded that in the early 1900s all credible scientists supported the theory of human eugenics. After 1945, you couldn't find an American scientist who would admit to having supported it.

Cloudscum said:
unfortunately it won't be until a glacier is creeping down Pennsylvania ave.

Global warming means there won't be any glaciers left to creep down it. It'll be under water. :P

CoyoteUgly said:
Whenever I hear that "all credible scientists are supporting the theory of global warming" I'm reminded that in the early 1900s all credible scientists supported the theory of human eugenics. After 1945, you couldn't find an American scientist who would admit to having supported it.
Different story. That's "Hey, wouldn't this be a neat thing to do? Yes or no?" Global warming is a question of "What's happening to us right now?"

There isn't a single credible scientist who disputes global warming is happening. Hasn't been for a couple decades; temperature measurements have become pretty hard to dispute. Disputing that global warming is happening to the Earth right now is like trying to dispute that the sky looks blue outside my window. The evidence is unmistakable that temperatures are rising.

The only thing some scientists have disputed in the past couple decades is the cause - and right now, very few credible scientists dispute that humanity has played some part in causing it.

Now, disputing what should be done about it... that's a different question. Will the Kyoto protocol help? Can we do anything to help cool the planet off a few degrees? All these questions aren't answered with absolute certainty.

What we do know, though, is that climate temperatures will continue to rise if nothing changes (with great certainty), that sea levels and temperatures will rise (with equal certainty), that hurricanes will get worse as a result (95+% confidence), and that climate zones will be rearranged on a massive scale (95+% confidence).

TJHairball said:
Different story. That's "Hey, wouldn't this be a neat thing to do? Yes or no?" Global warming is a question of "What's happening to us right now?"

There isn't a single credible scientist who disputes global warming is happening. Hasn't been for a couple decades; temperature measurements have become pretty hard to dispute. Disputing that global warming is happening to the Earth right now is like trying to dispute that the sky looks blue outside my window. The evidence is unmistakable that temperatures are rising.

The only thing some scientists have disputed in the past couple decades is the cause - and right now, very few credible scientists dispute that humanity has played some part in causing it.

Now, disputing what should be done about it... that's a different question. Will the Kyoto protocol help? Can we do anything to help cool the planet off a few degrees? All these questions aren't answered with absolute certainty.

What we do know, though, is that climate temperatures will continue to rise if nothing changes (with great certainty), that sea levels and temperatures will rise (with equal certainty), that hurricanes will get worse as a result (95+% confidence), and that climate zones will be rearranged on a massive scale (95+% confidence).

Apparently I wasn't clear or didn't go into enough detail. Let me expound a little.

Eugenics, at the turn of the 20th century, was science fact. Period. If you didn't agree with it, you're academic or scientific credentials weren't worth shit.

Additionally, because of this movement, many states in the US actually passed laws allowing the forced sterilization of the mentally ill, the habitual criminals, and other undesirables who were considered carriers for bad genes. The Carnegie Institute and the Rockefeller Foundation provided massive funding for the Eugenics movement, and when they wanted more, they took the show on the road to...guess where? Yup. In the 1920s...about a decade before the Nazis even took power there. That was a little more than "Hey, wouldn't this be a neat thing to do? Yes or no?"

Now the point I made in my earlier post, and you skipped in your attempt to further fuel the Panic of the Moment, is that just because the full weight of the scientific establishment is behind a theory doesn't make that theory true. I'm sorry if that offends or disturbs anyone, but that's the way it is...and the Eugenics scenario is a perfect example. They didn't know enough about human genetics then to rationally go to those lengths, and honestly...we don't know enough about our environment and how it works now to go to the lengths of the Kyoto Accords now.

Here's a little something interesting I stumbled across...it dates from 1999, sure...but I would think that if the sea had risen more than 30 cm in 7 years we'd all know about it: http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/467007.stm

So quit'cher damn panicking like a scared old woman.

Hambil said:
link

Right, because liberals have nothing to do with the problem. You're absolutely right. I mean, just because Barbra Streisand (who called for energy conservation 3 years ago when rolling blackouts were affecting CA) keeps her mansion at a frosty 55* year-round, to protect her fur coats, even though she doesn't live there, and the house is unoccupied, she's all for conservation and the limitation of energy consumption.

When you try to make one issue a "Republican" issue, you really do look like a fool.

Something else I'd like to point out is: saying the scientific community is in agreement that the average temperature of the Earth is rising is not the same thing as saying humankind is causing it or even being in agreement as to what is causing it.

The data obstensively shows a gradual climb in the average temperature, but there is potential for flaws in the data collection process...which I won't go into here unless someone is interested in knowing exactly what. So, saying "yes, there appears to be a gradual increase" does not equate to "and we're causing it." Some scientists say we are, some say we aren't.

Lastly, I love how some reports are saying "all credible scientists." I'm wondering if those who flatly disagree are being considered "non-credible."

DarthSikle said:
Why don't you check out global temperatures over a 5,000 year period rather than 10 years.

Heh, well...hard to do other than guessing from tree rings or something. Modern meteorology started roughly 1850...which, incidentally, is when our perceived warming trend began. We came out of a minor ice age that started in the Medieval Era and ended then.

An interesting side note: as a kid in the early 70s, I remember hearing scientists on television proclaiming in all seriousness that we were soon to enter an cooling trend that would last for several centuries. Gee.

CoyoteUgly said:
The data obstensively shows a gradual climb in the average temperature, but there is potential for flaws in the data collection process...which I won't go into here unless someone is interested in knowing exactly what. So, saying "yes, there appears to be a gradual increase" does not equate to "and we're causing it." Some scientists say we are, some say we aren't.
Most do, right now.

So, to review... essentially unanimous agreement that temperatures as measured are rising... pretty firm climate studies linking SSTs to hurricane season intensity... etc etc. As the link you referenced noted, the record of the past 100 years points pretty firmly to sea levels rising during this time, and if - as many project - significant amounts of ice cap melt, it will rise noticably. This will have substantial impact on humans - although not very much on ecology of the globe.

Life on the whole would actually enjoy average temperatures a few degrees higher in most places and more freshwater liberated from ice; it is simply coastal and island communities of humans that will really suffer.

Sure, scientists have been "wrong" in the past. The theory behind eugenics (like breeds like) remains generally accepted; the practice of eugenics is now considered unpalatable. That's as much a political fashion (in either direction) as anything else. I may also note just how much the scientific community has advanced in the past century. There's a lot more hard data and far better analysis, and the availability of measurements on how much of this and that we're putting into the atmosphere gives some pretty suggestive leads on causality.

Sure, it's difficult to firmly establish causality without having a control Earth to run experimentation alongside. That's the problem with climate science; experiments are devilishly hard to control.

Now, as far as the climate record going back thousands of years, climatologists have been studying ice cores to look at those.

TJHairball said:
Most do, right now.

Point?

So, to review... essentially unanimous agreement that temperatures as measured are rising... pretty firm climate studies linking SSTs to hurricane season intensity... etc etc. As the link you referenced noted, the record of the past 100 years points pretty firmly to sea levels rising during this time, and if - as many project - significant amounts of ice cap melt, it will rise noticably. This will have substantial impact on humans - although not very much on ecology of the globe.

An aside: what would you say about a nation that holds an election, and 99% of the voters support the incumbent?

Life on the whole would actually enjoy average temperatures a few degrees higher in most places and more freshwater liberated from ice; it is simply coastal and island communities of humans that will really suffer.

And anyone who lives their life on coastlines (I don't) know that coastlines are a relatively fluid environment.

Sure, scientists have been "wrong" in the past. The theory behind eugenics (like breeds like) remains generally accepted; the practice of eugenics is now considered unpalatable.

Your definition is wrong...you're defining genetics. Here is the definition of eugenics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

I may also note just how much the scientific community has advanced in the past century.

This is an interesting argument, especially since the US EPA has basically been using the same approach to the environment since the early 1970s and has ignored new theories such as Chaos theory, non-linear dynamics, and so forth...theories that have made their way into news broadcast meteorology, but not into government thinking.

There's a lot more hard data and far better analysis, and the availability of measurements on how much of this and that we're putting into the atmosphere gives some pretty suggestive leads on causality.

This sounds good on the surface. The problem is: the people who make the models are the ones who use them to predict future climate changes and present their findings to the UN. Anyone see a problem with that picture? Can you say "peer review?"

Honestly, there's no accurate method of predicting the weather with any accuracy for the next month...let alone 100 years. I'd be more intrigued if someone could produce a model that accurately predicts climate changes for the next 5 years. Ten years would be better.

Sure, it's difficult to firmly establish causality without having a control Earth to run experimentation alongside. That's the problem with climate science; experiments are devilishly hard to control.

Exactly.

Now, as far as the climate record going back thousands of years, climatologists have been studying ice cores to look at those.

Yeah, ice cores, tree rings, geological methods for testing gases trapped in rocks...there are other ways. I just couldn't think of many when DS asked the question.

CoyoteUgly said:
An aside: what would you say about a nation that holds an election, and 99% of the voters support the incumbent?
Generally, I'd say that there's probably not a choice being offered on the ballot box, or people are voting at gunpoint.

It's also faintly possible that everybody thinks the incumbent is a great guy.
And anyone who lives their life on coastlines (I don't) know that coastlines are a relatively fluid environment.
Which is why New Orleans was considered such a transient part of our history, right?

Coastlines shift, yes - particularly in the NC outer banks, which are basically giant sandbars that move around all the time, and are currently projected to vanish completely in a few decades, barring truly massive intervention.

And as we've seen in NC for decades, even agglomerations of poorly built beach houses are a pain in the neck to replace or shore up when the coastline moves a bit. Highly developed cities, like New Orleans, are much worse; you need major engineering projects to keep them safe from the consequences of climate shifts.
Your definition is wrong...you're defining genetics. Here is the definition of eugenics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics
Ah. "Eugenics is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through social intervention." Social philosophy, not scientific theory. Ergo, not even a credible point of comparison. I stand corrected.
This is an interesting argument, especially since the US EPA has basically been using the same approach to the environment since the early 1970s and has ignored new theories such as Chaos theory, non-linear dynamics, and so forth...theories that have made their way into news broadcast meteorology, but not into government thinking.
EPA =/= scientific community.
This sounds good on the surface. The problem is: the people who make the models are the ones who use them to predict future climate changes and present their findings to the UN. Anyone see a problem with that picture? Can you say "peer review?"

Honestly, there's no accurate method of predicting the weather with any accuracy for the next month...let alone 100 years. I'd be more intrigued if someone could produce a model that accurately predicts climate changes for the next 5 years. Ten years would be better.
Predicting weather precisely is difficult. But when you generalize your predictions, you get much better. Climatology is about looking where the baseline is likely to go.

It's peer reviewed, yes; subject to chaotic fluctuation, yes; this sort of thing is why there was a lot of question about the temperature trends in the 1970s. The global warming predictions panned out; average temperatures increased. This fulfillment is exactly why that type of model has become widely accepted.

TJHairball said:
Generally, I'd say that there's probably not a choice being offered on the ballot box, or people are voting at gunpoint.

It's also faintly possible that everybody thinks the incumbent is a great guy.
99% doesn't leave a lot of room for dissenters. No one's that good.

Which is why New Orleans was considered such a transient part of our history, right?
Which is why a great deal of what was NOLA was built on land engineered through levees. Why anyone would want to live in that situation is beyond me...but oh well.

Coastlines shift, yes - particularly in the NC outer banks, which are basically giant sandbars that move around all the time, and are currently projected to vanish completely in a few decades, barring truly massive intervention.

Why intervene?

Ah. "Eugenics is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through social intervention." Social philosophy, not scientific theory. Ergo, not even a credible point of comparison. I stand corrected.
Actually, a very credible point of comparison, if you would stop and think. There was a general consensus amongst western scientists as to the validity of the scientific theory of eugenics, as it was known then.

EPA =/= scientific community.
EPA=clout on Capitol Hill.

Predicting weather precisely is difficult. But when you generalize your predictions, you get much better. Climatology is about looking where the baseline is likely to go.
Assuming that the model isn't flawed, which is why peer review is important. It would also be better if the model creator and the model user were not under the same umbrella. You know...credibility, and all that.

It's peer reviewed, yes; subject to chaotic fluctuation, yes; this sort of thing is why there was a lot of question about the temperature trends in the 1970s. The global warming predictions panned out; average temperatures increased. This fulfillment is exactly why that type of model has become widely accepted.
Gotta hoist the BS flag on this one for two reasons:

1. Those of us who were concious and able to read back in the 70s might recall that climatological models predicted a cool down for the Earth. The general trend of thought for global warming comes about in the late 70s...but you can't tell me anyone had anything approaching an accuate model for a warming trend then.

2. I'd be more impressed if I saw a climatological model that incorporated two interesting elements:

a) a more accurate heat sink variance for large cities. The variance used to be...I think... 0.6 degrees back in the 70s/80s. It should be a lot more these days due to population increase and increased use of air conditioners.

b) definite evidence that temperature records from less developed nations...which you would need... are being accurately recorded. This has been a problem in the past. Woud you trust temp records from Sudan right now...or Belarus? I wouldn't.

In short, find me a climatological model with at least these two factors solved. I'll be back later to check on your progress.

CoyoteUgly said:
99% doesn't leave a lot of room for dissenters. No one's that good.
And? That's politics.

We're talking about science here. When you get 99% of scientists on board, we simply consider it convincing.
Which is why a great deal of what was NOLA was built on land engineered through levees. Why anyone would want to live in that situation is beyond me...but oh well.
Worked for 500 years or so.
Why intervene?
So that certain people don't lose loads of money.

If the Outer Banks vanish, for example, that's much of NC's lovely sandy beaches under the waves. Do that, and tourism/vacation drops like a rock across the coast.
Actually, a very credible point of comparison, if you would stop and think. There was a general consensus amongst western scientists as to the validity of the scientific theory of eugenics, as it was known then.
Where is this "scientific theory of eugenics" you're talking about? You just defined it as a social philosophy.

The only scientific theory being talked about there is the notion of like breeding like, which was accepted before Darwin.
EPA=clout on Capitol Hill.
And?
Assuming that the model isn't flawed, which is why peer review is important. It would also be better if the model creator and the model user were not under the same umbrella. You know...credibility, and all that.

Gotta hoist the BS flag on this one for two reasons:

1. Those of us who were concious and able to read back in the 70s might recall that climatological models predicted a cool down for the Earth. The general trend of thought for global warming comes about in the late 70s...but you can't tell me anyone had anything approaching an accuate model for a warming trend then.

2. I'd be more impressed if I saw a climatological model that incorporated two interesting elements:

a) a more accurate heat sink variance for large cities. The variance used to be...I think... 0.6 degrees back in the 70s/80s. It should be a lot more these days due to population increase and increased use of air conditioners.

b) definite evidence that temperature records from less developed nations...which you would need... are being accurately recorded. This has been a problem in the past. Woud you trust temp records from Sudan right now...or Belarus? I wouldn't.

In short, find me a climatological model with at least these two factors solved. I'll be back later to check on your progress.
I would trust those records inasmuch as being accurate... such as are being recorded. Precision may be lower, but it can be part of the picture.

Now, the data's density in terms of time and place are spottier. We're likely not to have as much available.

Are data and models being "peer reviewed?" Heck yes. They've been exhaustively examined by science foundations across the globe. It's not like we have the EPA sitting in a box in DC coming up with climate models based what they see outside their window, and using those models to implement policy.

There's still a very wide range of results that different accepted models of the climate produce... but it's a question of how much warming, not warming or cooling, and much of that is due to variance in the projection of human activity.

TJHairball said:
And? That's politics.

We're talking about science here. When you get 99% of scientists on board, we simply consider it convincing.

I think you get the gist of what I'm talking about...there's no need to be obstinate.

Worked for 500 years or so.
"Worked." Note that word.

So that certain people don't lose loads of money.

If the Outer Banks vanish, for example, that's much of NC's lovely sandy beaches under the waves. Do that, and tourism/vacation drops like a rock across the coast.
Agreed.

Where is this "scientific theory of eugenics" you're talking about? You just defined it as a social philosophy.

The only scientific theory being talked about there is the notion of like breeding like, which was accepted before Darwin.And?
Either you're being obstinate or you're simply thick. Let me spell it out, and that's the last I'll say on the matter because I think the point has been made:

Just because a resounding majority of scientists say something is so doesn't make it so. Eugenics, social philosophy that it is now, was an accepted scientific theory at the turn of the 20th century throughout western science. Through it, laws were enacted. Money was invested...on the order of millions (a lot of money in that time). Anyone who was someone either bought into eugenics as a scientific theory or they were considered "non-creditable." Sound familiar? The crazy thing was, after the effects of the US's exportation of organized eugenics to Germany resulted in the events of 1941-1945, eugenics was completely disavowed by the entire scientific establishment...not because it fell out of vogue, not because it was disproved, but because of the political ramifications involved in it. In short, the problem with everyone jumping on the bandwagon is that sooner or later the bandwagon will overload and turn over...and someone gets hurt.

Now it may not be distressing to you, but it sure as hell is to me, that when a) a sizable portion of any profession advocates something that consistently smells like junk science, and b) when dissenters are labelled "non-creditable" by proxy of saying "all credible scientists agree"...and allegedly educated individuals don't stop and think, then I detect crap.

I would trust those records inasmuch as being accurate... such as are being recorded. Precision may be lower, but it can be part of the picture.

Now, the data's density in terms of time and place are spottier. We're likely not to have as much available.
It's going to have to be a little more reliable before trillions of dollars are spent on something that also might be hooey.

Are data and models being "peer reviewed?" Heck yes. They've been exhaustively examined by science foundations across the globe. It's not like we have the EPA sitting in a box in DC coming up with climate models based what they see outside their window, and using those models to implement policy.
Well, that's an impressive list of reviewers on that report. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean every single one, or even half of the reviewers agree with the results of that report. But I said something about peer reviews, so I opened the door.

So, why didn't the reviewers catch this little gem? The problem with the 2001 report is that the data is based on Michael Mann's hockey-stick graph. More specifically, the report used 112 proxy studies for the last 1000 years. Well, they sort of had to, didn't they?

Mann used a non-standard formula that would turn any set of data into a hockey stick graph.

So, in light of that would it be more accurate to say that the list of reviewers were a) incompetent or b) hand picked?

There's still a very wide range of results that different accepted models of the climate produce... but it's a question of how much warming, not warming or cooling, and much of that is due to variance in the projection of human activity.
When it gets narrowed down for a 400% variation in predictions, then maybe I'll listen.

Now, let me throw this in: personally, yeah, I think we're getting warmer. Despite my differences with the measurement of this increase, I think we are...just based upon personal observation. The question is: are we causing it?

Despite the best claims, we don't know. And here's why we don't know: we don't know enough about how our ecosystem works. We don't know enough to start effecting changes in our own industry and civilization. Fuck, we might accelerate the process.

Remember this: prediction is another word for educated guess.

Back