Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Impersonal Nature of the Internet

Tyrant

Humans need to be able to look each other into the eye when speaking.

Some of the relationships which develop over the Internet obviously lack certain attributes which make them less desireable than relationships in RL. It is possible to find intellectual reprieve.

I believe it's easier to offend people over the Internet than in real life during misunderstandings.

And I think the lack of contact over the internet manifests itself in frustrations which humans aren't at all familiar with.

Is Messenger attempting to pull the strippers by being intellectual and aloof?

It's a new angle for him, I have to admit.

The Internet is a forum for all sorts of things, including unique and diverse human relationships. I think its easier for our "generation" though, because we grew up doing things like this. X-ers to some degree have readilly embraced our e-culture, but once you move up after that, it just seems eternally silly and in some cases, sad. A recent Time or USNWR article concluded that parents of children of teens should "unplug" us/them more often because we are growing up with a warped sense of reality. Here's what I think though: For years young people have been told that everything we do is a rehash of some other groups. Nothing we do is unique, and we just jump from rehashed fad to fad. Well, we are the Net-Gens. That is "ours" and I seriously doubt our propensity to live as well on the Internet as we do outside of these virtual walls is going to destroy society. As it is, the Baby Boomers have done a pretty decent job of fucking the whole world up all by themselves, and though I don't know what the future holds for us, I do know that we can change the world, hopefully for the better. If we never lose sight of that can-do spirit and not let the dissaproving clucking tongues of wiser, but nonetheless irrational generations hamper our potential, then I don't think us "Net-Gen's" will destroy the world when its our turn and our children are the ones in danger of unraveling society, :D

Sorry for the veer, but I can't resist the chance to rant about my favorite ranting subject: generational relationships dynamics. :D

Messenger said:
Humans need to be able to look each other into the eye when speaking.

Some of the relationships which develop over the Internet obviously lack certain attributes which make them less desireable than relationships in RL. It is possible to find intellectual reprieve.

I believe it's easier to offend people over the Internet than in real life during misunderstandings.
I believe this is due to the larger pool that is the internet.

When I go on an active online forum, I encounter literally thousands of people. Through networking sites and online games, a million people have passed through my scopes; a few stand out.

I can find cameraderie or nemesis so much more easily.

BlazerBoy said:
The Internet is a forum for all sorts of things, including unique and diverse human relationships. I think its easier for our "generation" though, because we grew up doing things like this. X-ers to some degree have readilly embraced our e-culture, but once you move up after that, it just seems eternally silly and in some cases, sad. A recent Time or USNWR article concluded that parents of children of teens should "unplug" us/them more often because we are growing up with a warped sense of reality. Here's what I think though: For years young people have been told that everything we do is a rehash of some other groups. Nothing we do is unique, and we just jump from rehashed fad to fad. Well, we are the Net-Gens. That is "ours" and I seriously doubt our propensity to live as well on the Internet as we do outside of these virtual walls is going to destroy society. As it is, the Baby Boomers have done a pretty decent job of fucking the whole world up all by themselves, and though I don't know what the future holds for us, I do know that we can change the world, hopefully for the better. If we never lose sight of that can-do spirit and not let the dissaproving clucking tongues of wiser, but nonetheless irrational generations hamper our potential, then I don't think us "Net-Gen's" will destroy the world when its our turn and our children are the ones in danger of unraveling society, :D

Sorry for the veer, but I can't resist the chance to rant about my favorite ranting subject: generational relationships dynamics. :D

Interesting point of view...

BlazerBoy said:

BB there is a lot of good shit in here. In particular, I've been getting interested in how we view the Internet as an extension or addition to our lives -- not the RL replacement our elders feared or the overmind the Sci-Fi writers envisioned. It's a new tool.

I feel like the way we use the internet is best compared to how the first auto enthusiasts used cars -- we're all in love with the mechanics and the novelty, but if we're lucky we're also developing a familiarity we can parlay into hilarious stories of the good old days and maybe a "OMG i feel bad for that guy" fuck at a high school reunion in 15 years. Because they totally feel bad for us, whoever they are and whoever we are and stuff like that.