The PEOPLE ARE STARVING IN CHINA Conundrum...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. I'm getting a little soft. Fat. Tubby. So I got back into exercising. (Where do people find time to exercise?! Christ! If that's all I did, I'd barely have enough time in a day.) And since the exercising is just part of it and I'm not as confident in how much time I'll have for it, I looked at caloric intake as well.

First off, let me say the serving size recommendations on food packaging are crap. No one eats what they call a "serving." You're really splitting a pint of Ben & Jerry's with 2 friends? C'mon. Still... Years ago I liked Tony's Pizza. Because it was smaller than, say, Red Baron. It was larger than "single serving" pizzas, but not so large that I couldn't have one for a meal. But! They decided to "fix" it by making it "33% LARGER!!!!" Again. And again. And again. Before long it was fully as big as Red Baron. So when I'd cut it into 6 pieces I'd give a slice to my dog. It was a routine. She knew to wait until I was done and the she'd come get her slice and I'd watch her eat it. (Watching a dog eat a slice of pizza is an amazing sight.) Well she died. And it wasn't like I could just throw away a slice. Because I grew up in the era when you got guilted that people were starving in China if you didn't clean your plate.

Today I officially ate 1/2 a pizza, leaving the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. We shall see if this is a viable option and the pizza remains edible after reheating (I guess I could've put it in a dresser drawer and ate it for breakfast, but maybe that only works with delivery pizza and hotel rooms. I dunno.) The point is, apart from attracting varmints that could get into the trash, truth be told, I'm thinking there's nothing actually wrong with just throwing away uneaten pizza. I could have, say, 2/3 and throw the rest away. It makes no difference. If I ate it, it wouldn't go to anyone but me anyhow. But eating the whole thing makes me fat. So when it gets down to it, throwing away food is actually *good*. *

*I mean I guess I could load it in my car and drive around until I find one of them guys at the freeway ramp with the cardboard sign and throw it at him. If he's really hungry and not a scam artist, he'd probably be happy to pick it off the ground and eat it. So it would be win-win.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. Booze is my demon for that right now. My nightly routine is to have dinner while watching the evening news. "Jeopardy!" is on after dinner, followed by 2 classic 1/2 hour episodes of "Dr. Who" before fucking off on the computer a bit before bed. I'll usually have a beer with dinner and a cocktail by the time "Dr. Who" is on. But it doesn't seem right to just sit at the computer so I'll have another cocktail. And finish that before I'm done online. That's bad enough. But the temptation is to make another. And then another. And another. I can pretty easily have about 4 cocktails if I'm not careful. Last night I was able to stick to 2 (and the beer). I'd like to get down to 1 (and/or the beer). There are people who say cutting it out is amazing. But that's the sort of thing vegans and crossfit people say too so...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
My wife had a small stroke recently and I'm the chief caregiver cook and bottlewasher. It IS possible to blend a coherent and effective exercise routine into your day. Takes a lot of diligence and planning, and then of course you have to stick to that planning.

She will experiemce a full recovery thank God, but it's a bit of a road between here and there and exercise keeps the nervous nellies and panic bugs at bay.

Yes I have tended to drift into a full bottle of wine over the course of the evening, and follow roughly the same schedule as you Volpone. A glass preparing dinner, a glass eating dinner and a glass or two relaxing into whatever we're binging on TV after. I tend to stay off the computer in the evenings because especially since this happened I like to spend as much time as possible by her side, so I don't have that as an enabler.

I do feel you about the alcohol though. So easy to slip into that kind of pleasure and numbness. Limiting is the key and it's much more effective than so-called abstinence.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I was contemplating this. Reheating the other half in the microwave is god-awful, BTW.