The Saddam Troll

Tyrant

Fun and easy.

Step one: Find a group of people who are celebrating Saddam's death and interfere with their Power Process of cheering on the death of the Ebil Emperor.

Step two: Drop the Saddam bomb and question whether or not he should even have been hanged. The latter is something unimaginable to the peons. Again, the people must be celebrating his death.

Step three: The most difficult step of all. Defend your statement, like a true Adequacy-style troll. Doubleplus points if you manage to convince and turn someone to the darkside, thus further frustrating the anti-troll gay superhero who will inevitably appear.

An example:

h*tp://charas-project.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19160&forumid=12&catid=6

Controversial statements aren't new to trolls, but it's important to strike while the iron is hot in this case.

Try it.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Too easy, and too easy to spot as a troll. Like defending Hitler or denying the Holocaust just to get a rise out of people.

What's REALLY cutting edge right now is suggesting that expanded war is probably our best option for peace in the middle east (hint at the draft), and that we should consider the nuclear option against several middle east targets and possible even russian/chinese/etc. The trick is to see how far you can take this line of reasoning if you build slowly enough. I once got some radical lefties to agree that forced annexation of Mexico under the auspices of Manifest Destiny would really be a viable option for our nation's economic security.

Good times.

Tyrant

Donovan said:
Too easy, and too easy to spot as a troll. Like defending Hitler or denying the Holocaust just to get a rise out of people.
Bullshit.

Tyrant

Grammour Boy said:
The best troll is to troll the so-called trolls. Trolling regular people is so 2001.
The best way is to stay out of peoples' threads when you're a bitter know-nothing who cries on other boards about harsh treatment here.

Tyrant

Grammour Boy said:
LOL. The mission statement of TK is to cry about other boards.

If a poster dares think for himself or refuse to get on what passes for the current bandwagon, she/he is vilified for going against the grain or the norm (whatever that is).

And the karma system is useless and is the root cause of much of the board's ailments. The majority of posters is posturing for green karma and post count. Now it's all about posturing to remain in the good graces of the "IN" crowd. As a result, if a member doesn't "go with the grain", he is bullied and no one comes to her/his aid against the bullies because they are afraid they will get negrepped.

There have been so many recent instances of bullying, it's laughable. It's like a sport or something. Right now, I am the object of the bullying because I dare think differently. I dare to speak against necro'ed bump-fests which are against the rules and punsihable by a stint in daycare. As a result of speaking out I have a reputation for being a "deviant". Even though necro'ed bump-fest are against the few rules of the board. Apparently, following the rules is considered deviancy.

Sometimes, I think it's a big giant circle-jerk of duals and others patting each other on the back. Many of the members that have been there since 2002 behave in ways that indicate infliction with mild to severe mental instability. Either that, or they're going on drunken or rude obsessive tirade taking a crap all over the board which makes the whole thing unwelcoming to new members or visitors.

AHAHAHAHHAHA! Pwned.

You still don't know how this game is played, do you?

Hahahah...When are you going to learn to not let me run circles around you? Huh? n00b!

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
Donovan said:
Nonsense. The questioning of an execution based on objection to the death penalty is a very real and common viewpoint. If you can argue it correctly most wouldn't even see it as a troll argument.

Cranky Bastard

Messenger said:
If a poster dares think for himself or refuse to get on what passes for the current bandwagon, she/he is vilified for going against the grain or the norm (whatever that is).

And the karma system is useless and is the root cause of much of the board's ailments. The majority of posters is posturing for green karma and post count. Now it's all about posturing to remain in the good graces of the "IN" crowd. As a result, if a member doesn't "go with the grain", he is bullied and no one comes to her/his aid against the bullies because they are afraid they will get negrepped.

There have been so many recent instances of bullying, it's laughable. It's like a sport or something. Right now, I am the object of the bullying because I dare think differently. I dare to speak against necro'ed bump-fests which are against the rules and punsihable by a stint in daycare. As a result of speaking out I have a reputation for being a "deviant". Even though necro'ed bump-fest are against the few rules of the board. Apparently, following the rules is considered deviancy.

Sometimes, I think it's a big giant circle-jerk of duals and others patting each other on the back. Many of the members that have been there since 2002 behave in ways that indicate infliction with mild to severe mental instability. Either that, or they're going on drunken or rude obsessive tirade taking a crap all over the board which makes the whole thing unwelcoming to new members or visitors.

AHAHAHAHHAHA! Pwned.

I've come into this tizzy late, but this is worth a comment.

Yes, there is an "in" crowd ( a few separate ones, actually); yes, there is some "bullying" that goes on; yes, there is a "fear" of negrepping for some; and yes, there is some pointless forum behavior that is irritating.

But for shit's sake, it's a troll board (nominally) and you don't complain like a whiney little baby about it, you work with it to make your own contribution.

Complaining about it is auto-WTFpwn. I may not be laughing at you, GB, but I'm shaking my head and that's much worse than laughter.

Tyrant

Tyrant

Grandtheftcow said:
Nonsense. The questioning of an execution based on objection to the death penalty is a very real and common viewpoint. If you can argue it correctly most wouldn't even see it as a troll argument.
And since the entire Middle East is one big interconnected troll, you can blame the opposing view for subscribing to a viewpoint contrary to the JUSTICEFREEDOM movement: Controlled media, the war in Iraq, Israel, etc.

I bet supporting Saddam's execution could be spun into supporting the invasion.

Cranky Bastard

Did they really kill him? His jacket showed a suspicious padding (like a Hollywood harness) when the noose was around his neck.

Cranky Bastard said:
I've come into this tizzy late, but this is worth a comment.

Yes, there is an "in" crowd ( a few separate ones, actually); yes, there is some "bullying" that goes on; yes, there is a "fear" of negrepping for some; and yes, there is some pointless forum behavior that is irritating.

But for shit's sake, it's a troll board (nominally) and you don't complain like a whiney little baby about it, you work with it to make your own contribution.

Complaining about it is auto-WTFpwn. I may not be laughing at you, GB, but I'm shaking my head and that's much worse than laughter.
"Complaining" about it is a strategy. And it works as it accomplishes the "complainer's" aim.

Tyrant

Grammour Boy said:
"Complaining" about it is a strategy. And it works as it accomplishes the "complainer's" aim.

Ah, I see.

Yeah, many of the current members seem to be only interested in kissing each other's asses. Did you notice how much asskissing you got upon your return? You were instantly accepted based on your join date and a couple of the newer members were falling over themselves to kiss your ass. I'm glad you weren't that impressed.

I, myself, was recently threatened by a member who proposed that he would rally all of his friends to wage war against me on the board and that I "had no friends and therefore I had no protection"---whatever that means. But I can take care of myself, I have been on the net for so long and I have been in shark-infested corners of the net where posting on message boards used to be considered n00bish. I have the knowledge and the maturity level to run circles around these nincompoops that try to attack me. I've been repelling their lame attacks for a few months now and I don't tire of it. This is kidsplay as far as I'm concerned and compared to where I've been and what I've done in cyberspace in the past.

The thing that bothers me most, however, is NOT the bullying, per se, but the reaction--or lack thereof--of other members who stand idly by and allow non-conformist members to be bullied and run off the board. For example, there was a member named BlindGroping who was posting around the time I first registered there. I watched him get bullied by a clique of miscreants until he left the board. Why was he bullied? Because he wouldn't join the bandwagon.

I, myself, have recently come to the aid of a member named Starguard who was also constantly being bullied for no other reason than his posts are different but not against the rules. He likes to post jokes and other stuff that the clique considers retarded (as if necro'ed bump-fests for hours on end aren't retarded :rollseyes: ). I was the only one to stand up and say something against the bullying of this member--no one else did. And I'm a newbie--I joined a few months ago--who dared to speak against unfair treatment of another member. Who do I think I am? :rollseyes:

I guess I rubbed the clique the wrong way. I am constantly asked why do I not join the grain or the bandwagon. Here's a quote from a member asking me why I don't join "the grain":

I am dumbfounded that a supposedly free-speech board would require that members "go with the grain" or else face group-scale bullying. That is such an oxymoronic concept. I am embarassed for the member who uttered those words. That's so sad but that's the current status quo of the board. :sighs:

Sometimes, I think that board could have gone much farther than it has. Every so often, since I've been there I've seen many smart, intelligent members just leave after only a few weeks or a couple of months of posting. It is the same hard-core group of self-congratulating minions that are prevalent and in my opinion they are an obstacle to the progress of the board. The administration tries but it appears to me that their hands are tied because: 1) they are friends with the miscreants, and 2) the owner of the board often sides with the miscreants over her own admins/mods. Unbelievable. How would you like it if your boss gives you responsibility but doesn't stand by the decisions you make? Not good at all.

Recently, there were some aesthetic enhancements to the board's front page by way of rearrangement and archiving of old forums. As a result, a few members who had left started returning and posting, but that lasted only about two weeks before the board sank back to its status quo of circle-jerking and all-around childish acting out and throwing of temper tantrums by flooding and necro'ing threads. Recently when loki went on holiday, for instance, one member in particular, whom I believe is inflicted with some form of OCD (not making fun of that), decided to necro a whole forum--the largest forum. He proceeded to bump all threads starting with the oldest ones and ending with the newest ones, such that when he was done after a few non-stop hours the forum looked as if it had not been necro'ed since he did it in reverse. But still, while it was going on, board activity ceased and many members got turned off. And thus, began our latest exodus of returning members. Now for the most part, old members that had returned after the initial facelift have largely disappeared once again.

I hate GroupThink.

If you're still reading...thanks for taking the time to read this. I had to get this off my chest.

I am annoyed by the necro'ed bump fests and they do make the board unwelcoming to me and they are against the rules and I do speak out against them. Why shouldn't I speak out against breaking of rules on a free speech board?

Orange leters? Yes, that was a feature of my early membership but mostly it was to rebel against the treatment I received as a newbie. I hate bullying and I have always fought against it whether I am the target or someone else is.

And I stand by the quote you mentioned I wrote:

I come from a part of cyberspace where we take take a stand against all bullying and where we enjoy showing bullies how powerless they are. So yes, I enjoy showing up the bullies and make them jump up and down for me. It amuses me how I run circles around them and they don't even know it. Note that I only do that to those that attack me. Why do I do it? Because I want to show how powerless they are. Most bullies are weak cowards and so if you can prove they are truly weaklings and powerless they mostly go away.

I just want to contribute in my own way. But I will not be bullied into groupthink to fit in or to "go with the grain". I think that's insulting to my intelligence, frankly.

Edit: Note that I am addressing Mentalist's concerns here, not Wilford Brimley's post.

!!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Grandtheftcow said:

What I meant by "too easy" is that within the next few days and weeks we'll see hundreds of debates spring up over whether Saddam deserved to die because death tolls in Iraq via his regime are smaller as compared to death tolls caused by the "liberation" we started. For the uninitiated , it's an easy troll because of the volatility of the topic. For the savvy poster, it's a fairly obvious attempt to pick a fight. Not that there's anything wrong with deliberately picking fights, just that this wouldn't take a lot of skill or finesse.

The best trolls are more subtle and sneak up on people until they find themselves trapped into arguing a truly heinous position like, "Iraq would be more stable and safe if we had released Saddam and allowed him to retake power."

Here's a challenge: since Bush Bashing is currently vogue, start an argument to convince people that due to the successful execution of Saddam, Bush has had a better presidency than Bill Clinton.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
Grammour Boy said:
The best troll is to troll the so-called trolls. Trolling regular people is so 2001.

For once we agree.

Look how badly I've torqued Messenger with the simple statement 'Shut the fuck up Henoch.".

And it wasn't even directed at him. It made Henoch spaz AND sent Messy into an emotionally unstable tail spin. That's was just an added bonus. :bigass:

Tyrant

Sarek said:
For once we agree.

Look how badly I've torqued Messenger with the simple statement 'Shut the fuck up Henoch.".

And it wasn't even directed at him. It made Henoch spaz AND sent Messy into an emotionally unstable tail spin. That's was just an added bonus. :bigass:
S

H

U

T

T

H

E

F

U

C

K

U