Thor: Love and Thunder

MODMAN

Hmmm. I thought I'd definitely go see this at the movies. Aggregate score on RT is just holding over 70%.

Might wait until it premieres on Disney+. Dr Strange 2 was a disappointment and that popped up on Disney+ within a couple of months. I watched Black Widow and Shang-Chi for the first time on the big screen (living room style) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Since we got the 65" in the living room it's been a blast. Given how quickly films are released on streaming services, why pay the extra?

I do feel legit bad because Natalie, though. And my partner might insist for Chris Hemsworth nudity (partial / butt shot / whatever) reasons.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Bump for anyone who's seen it but can't find this thread.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I was looking forward to seeing it, but I think I'm going to wait for it to come on D plus, I'm not really in the mood for a combination of comedy and cancer right now.

CaptainWacky

Nowhere near as good as Ragnarok and actually bad in some places. The first half in particular feels so off. I loved Ragnarok and have no problem at all with a movie containing both comedy and drama (that's every MCU movie), but you have to take some things seriously. You can't present the movie's plot as a complete joke. There has to be stakes. But the scene where the Gods are being butchered all across the galaxy and Thor and the Guardians are watching it on tv feels like a comedy skit. The scene with Sif even more so (though "maybe your arm's in Valhalla" was one of the funnier lines.) These are the scenes that establish the threat of the rest of the movie and they're a total joke, so how can I take anything else seriously?

I liked Korg in Ragnarok (I won't mention Ragnarok again, just making the point that I don't have a problem with this type of movie) but he got really annoying here. None of his lines were particularly funny (though I kind of smiled at Dwayne the Rock) and many made me cringe. I felt relieved when he died - and thought maybe it would be the point where Thor starts taking things more seriously - but of course he just comes back to life right away as the blowjob paving slab from Doctor Who because nothing matters it's all stupid.

Things improve a bit as it goes on and it actually got good when it switched to black and white. It felt like a proper movie for a while there and the fight scene with the shadow monsters on the moon was cool. I kind of liked the kids getting powered up and fighting back, it was cute. But when it ended the movie felt too short because it only really go good in the last third. Why did we need to spend like three minutes on the stage play cameo fest which wasn't as funny as the one in Ragnarok and didn't have the plot relevance that one had (it was where Thor figured out Odin was really Loki)?

Natalie was great: she's a great actress. The cancer plot has some weight to it (as you'd hope!) but even that I felt could have been better. If the first time we saw Jane in the movie she was already Thor then we gradually found out about the cancer through flashbacks at it went on I feel it could have avoided the tonal whiplash of Thor being a total clown with the guardians cutting right to Jane in chemo. Thor and Jane have a nice scene on the boat talking about her cancer but it's interrupted right away by another stupid Korg line. It would be like if Odin's death scene in Ragnarok had ended with Thor comically stumbling and falling off the cliff. There was a brief sweet flashback to Thor and Jane on rollerblades that I really wanted to see more of. Basically the movie could have used a lot more of the actual romance and less of the jokes about Thor's ex hammer.

Christian Bale was good but again the total lack of God butchering hurt a lot. And really given that every God we see in the movie apart from Thor is evil or insane I can't say I felt any stakes in his evil plan. Having him act like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in one scene was certainly...a choice.

Tessa Thompson was fun as always (great English accent too) but Val has nothing in the way of an arc. There's one scene where Fucking Korg (I LIKED HIM BEFORE) recaps her romantic history...but that's it. I thought for sure she'd be shown on a date at the end with the girl she flirted with on God City but no.

So yeah there's good stuff here and probably a good movie in there but the first hour was almost painful at times. DISAPPOINTING (I'm referencing Hercules because there's a Hercules in it.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Disney seems determined to slaughter all its cash cows. I'm glad they made it through the Infinity arc before this tendency got too bad.

CaptainWacky

Oh yeah, one more thing: 'Immigrant Song' played twice > four different Guns 'N' Roses song.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I heard originally they wanted one of the songs to be from ABBA but they thought it might have been too much, they might also have been scuppered by a recent Kate Bush song on stranger things, so just said fuck it, everything is guns and roses.

CaptainWacky

I saw the "child soldiers" criticism but don't really agree since they were like literally about to be attacked by unconvincing CGI monsters.

I heard originally they wanted one of the songs to be from ABBA but they thought it might have been too much, they might also have been scuppered by a recent Kate Bush song on stranger things, so just said fuck it, everything is guns and roses.

There was an ABBA song in it.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I liked it, not as much fun as Ragnarok, not sure it's rewatchabke, but time will tell.

MODMAN

Just finished it. Sweet Zeus that was unhinged.

The majority of dialogue was attempting to land jokes and it got tiresome - I say this as someone who enjoyed Ragnarok. Some of the humor worked (screaming goats were initially funny), but much of it fell flat or drifted into cringe territory.

Music was great, as was Natalie. But there needed to be some restraint / rebalancing.

Less is more. I'd give it a 2 1/2 out of 5.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The korg stuff about having two dad's contradicts the last film where he talked about not liking his mum's new boyfriend.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I did appreciate Darryl and Milynors little bed becoming cannon.

CaptainWacky

Maybe he previously called one of his dads his "mum" before realising he shouldn't be ashamed.

Or they decided gay man in moustache is funny lol.