Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight is Supernight!

dogbert

King of Sarcasm
Supernight is the night they run the Illinois championship harness races at Balmoral Park! Lots of people show up and pay $5 for hot dogs, bet down the favorite horses to ridiculously low odds and it is hard to get around the grandstand. Well off I go to get my free t-shirt.

Hot Dogs for $5.00 each? Bet they are the "parts is parts" kind of dog with mystery meat in them...you know, pig's snout, and other delicacies. Still, you can't fault a guy for going out and being excited about an evening at the races and reconnecting with his fellow man. There's just something about large crowds that can make one nervous about the "herd" mentality taking over. Be careful out there Dogbert, don't let the masses sway you over to their way of thinking.

The only way they sway my thinking is who not to bet on. Supernight starts off with some 2 year old trotting races and anything can happen in those and betting the favorite usually ends up in a losing ticket. I'm very disciplined at the track nowdays, I start off with my 3 horse $2 exacta box that costs me $12 and end that way. Learned the hard way that winning happens only once in a while so betting big after a win is only suicidial so I keep betting the same amounts each race. I won $288 in the second race and left after the 5th race, standing in a big crowd can get tiring after 2 hours. So I got my t-shirt, a bratwurst, a beer, and a little over $200 for my night out. Had a good time. :)

I love the races..... I go with a budget...so much per race, any winnings go in a different pocket. I usually come out a few dollars ahead.

;)
mm

You are a wise and disciplined race goer.

I've only been to one race in person but it was the regular horse race at Paradise Downs in Phoenix. I bet $2.50 on each race with the except of two races that I didn't bet at all -- even money. I won three trifectas in a row, and in the last race, a claiming race, I even won $150.00 with a "show" bet. I came home with $1,400.00. I haven't been back since.

^^hmmmmm, now that I think about it, I may have splurged and spent $6.50 on each race. Whatever, it was the minimum bet you could place. Still, an excellent return on my cash outlay.