TrekBBS loses UGO sponsorship, faces closure!?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Well it's probably not going to close, but it makes me sad, a bit.

The Trek BBS

I guess no one cares about Star Trek anymore? Is UGO still even a thing?

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Besides a crappy 90's car, what's a "Ugo?"

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Good post, Wacky. :D

CaptainWacky

I WONDER HOW MANY GOT THE REFERENCE LOL I'M SO CLEVER.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The ones who were around before the SEVENTEEN POST PRUNING PURGES will get it.

Funny, at this point I don't really care if it closes. The only posts of mine before 2007 that still exist are replies to Trek News items. Everything we made there has been erased, except for THE STARSCREAM ANNIVERSARY THREAD.

CaptainWacky

I haven't used my MadBaggins dual for a year or so either.

SAUSAGEMAN

A "friend" of mine in interested in watching Trek. Where should I start.

(I'm thinking Emissary and just vaguely letting him know there's a bald captain.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Start with the TOS episode where Kirk is ridden like a horse by a midget while Spock dances uncontrollably.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Will there be handies this time?

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I would start with TNG, followed by DS9.

He should also watch some TOS once he gets more acquainted with Star Trek.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Start with the William Shatner episodes of The Twilight Zone, and the Leonard Nimoy eps of Sea Hunt.

CaptainWacky

Start by showing him the "row row row your boat" bit from Star Trek Five then order him to stare at a picture of William Shatner for an hour.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The Shat in one of those fetching "go climb a rock" t-shirts.

CaptainWacky

And see if he goes and climbs a rock after.

SAUSAGEMAN

So, four episodes into DS9, it's been fun. It's really refreshing being with someone who has no inkling of what's coming up or of Trek history and is actually taking the concepts the show comes up with seriously and at face value. So far, we've paused the show to talk in depth about evolutionary biology as it relates to Trill physiology (and similar relationships between different species here on Earth) and the philosophical implications of a religion where your gods exist but don't seem to care about you.

It's been nice! I'm taking the series and its ideas much more seriously than if I were rewatching it alone (I'd be going "yeah of course the Trills are symbiotic what of it" instead of actually gaming out what it meant), and I'm pretty sure Kira wasn't my favourite character first time around.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
So...no handies yet?