US Position on Cease-Fire "Totally Unacceptable"

Tyrant

SPIEGEL: Minister, how can Syria contribute to resolving the crisis in the Middle East?

Moallem: First of all, Syria is not involved in the events that led to this crisis. Nevertheless, we support the Lebanese resistance, because it is based on a right defined in the UN charter: Resistance is legitimate for as long as an occupation continues.

SPIEGEL: You are referring to the Israeli-occupied Shabaa Farms region near the Golan Heights. But now US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has warned your country against obstructing efforts to achieve peace in the Middle East. Do you even want to help solve the conflict?

Moallem: Yes. We are in favor of an immediate cease-fire. We must stop the killing of innocent civilians and the destruction of the civil infrastructure. Then there must be an exchange of prisoners. Germany can be helpful once again in this regard, a German delegation was here in Damascus only last week. If these two efforts succeed, we can turn this crisis into a great opportunity. We Syrians want to get back the Golan Heights which have been occupied since 1967. This is the sixth Middle East war since 1948, it can't go on like this. We must finally tackle the roots and find a comprehensive solution to three problems: the Lebanese, the Syrian and the Palestinian problem.

[...]
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,429424,00.html

America should support a cease-fire when Hezbollah can no longer fire rockets into Israel.

I guess Britain should have asked for a ceasefire so Germany would stop firing V2 rockets into London during WWII.

-Ogami

Ogami said:
America should support a cease-fire when Hezbollah can no longer fire rockets into Israel.
Excuse me, but the whole thing started over 2 Israeli soldiers being kidnapped (In Lebanon, to boot!)

The existence of Hezbollah and its ability to fight back is now justified with Israel's invasion.

I guess Britain should have asked for a ceasefire so Germany would stop firing V2 rockets into London during WWII.

-Ogami
I guess Britian shouldn't have discarded the German peace offers despite the fact that Germany didn't want to go to war with them in the first place.

Back