Wal-Mart's Sister Act

From the L.A. Times, July 23rd, 2006

Retail giant tries to scrub its reputation with a nun.

BEDEVILED BY CRITICS OF ITS labor practices and by sluggish sales, Wal-Mart announced last week that it has hired Harriet Hentges, a former executive director of the League of Women Voters and vice president of the United States Institute for Peace, to reach out to its enemies. But Hentges, who once worked as a mediator in Bosnia, isn't your average conflict-resolving do-gooder. She's also a former nun.

Wal-Mart is downplaying Hentges' religious past, but it's hard to imagine that her 14 years as a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet had nothing to do with her hiring. Like errant schoolchildren, boards of directors find few apparitions more terrifying than an angry nun. That's because nuns and other clergy have led much of the socially conscious shareholder activism of the last 30 years.

Sister Patricia Daly made headlines in 1998 when she questioned then-Chief Executive Officer Jack Welch on General Electric's environmental practices, goading him until he lost his cool. She's still a fixture at shareholder meetings. Institutional Shareholder Services reports that this year, religious investors were primary filers of 25% of social-issue related shareholder resolutions (including three of the nine resolutions filed against Wal-Mart), and they're involved in many more as co-filers. People of the cloth have special moral authority, shareholder advocates say, and can often command respect and attention from executives that others rarely receive.

In some ways, hiring a former nun is a ludicrously blatant public relations move. Wal-Mart, which has already been mocked for setting up seminars to "help" local businesses near its superstores, is now tapping into the nun network to gain credibility with the socially conscious set.

But siccing the sisters with one of their own is also brilliant. Perhaps now when a nun makes much of Wal-Mart executives' compensation, Hentges will be able to draw from her own store of moral authority and remind the critic that Wal-Mart is taking measures to improve health insurance for its employees. When a reverend complains about sweatshops, she'll be able to counter, credibly, with testimony of new "green" truck fleets. It's the same approach Nike took when it hired former U.N. ambassador and civil rights leader Andrew Young to report on conditions in its operations in Vietnam. (Young, incidentally, now works for Wal-Mart.)

Maybe some good can even come of it. To that, at least, we say: Amen.

From the L.A. Times:

BEDEVILED BY CRITICS OF ITS labor practices and by sluggish sales,

Actually Wal-Mart is not bedeviled at all. Sleazy Democrats and sleazy journalists who vote Democrat have decided that Wal-Mart should be attacked. They go where the money is, and if anyone in America is making money, you can bet there will be Democrats and their sycophantic reporters demanding that something be done about it.

Given that their critics identify more with Stalin and Mao, Wal-Mart has nothing to be bedeviled about.

-Ogami

Ogami said:
From the L.A. Times:

BEDEVILED BY CRITICS OF ITS labor practices and by sluggish sales,

Actually Wal-Mart is not bedeviled at all. Sleazy Democrats and sleazy journalists who vote Democrat have decided that Wal-Mart should be attacked. They go where the money is, and if anyone in America is making money, you can bet there will be Democrats and their sycophantic reporters demanding that something be done about it.

I don't know what you're crying about. The Republicans have conducted half assed inquiries and investigations that are guaranteed to ensure that large corporations can continue to gouge the American public for profits.

**Cough** Gas prices **cough**

We can only hope that the Democrats get the chance to change that come November. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind seeing some old-fashioned Wild West justice slammed down on a few corporate executives asses.

Get a rope…

Sarek wrote:

Why doesn't your ass cough over all those Democrat votes against drilling in ANWR?

We can only hope that the Democrats get the chance to change that come November. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind seeing some old-fashioned Wild West justice slammed down on a few corporate executives asses.

Yeah, the founders of Tyco, Worldcom, Arthur-Anderson, and Enron got away with it under the Republicans. If only we had some Democrats in charge to prosecute these people!

This explains why liberals live in perpetual outrage. Reality need never enter their daily life. We've got executives from all the above companies arrested and convicted for the crimes they committed, yet a liberal can whine that "executives" are getting away with something. I always knew "liberal outrage" was phony and manufactured, thanks for confirming that.

-Ogami

Also Walmart treats employees like crap. They lock them inside the store overnight. The make them forego lunch breaks at no extra pay. And they have the worst record on health insurance for employees. Plus they sell products made by slave labor in China. And they put small mom and pop establishments out of business. They are the devil.

Glammour Boy wrote:

Also Walmart treats employees like crap.

The Wal-Mart in my area starts new employees out at $6/hour.

You either choose to take it, or educate yourself and get a better job elsewhere. Wal-Mart isn't forcing anyone to do anything. (And that includes shop there.)

Wal-Mart's critics simply hate capitalism and hate free enterprise. Plus they figure they can tax Wal-Mart in some way and get their "cut", which is how sleazy Democrats operate.

-Ogami

Ogami said:
Sarek wrote:

Why doesn't your ass cough over all those Democrat votes against drilling in ANWR?

Excuse me? Wasn't it a republican senator that used sneaky backdoor politics to introduce the legislation to begin with? Granted, some Democrats voted for it, but it was Bush and a republican senate that tried to stop a preemptive bill introduced by democrats that would designate the remaining areas of the contested wildlife refuge officially off-limits to oil drilling.

Ogami said:
This explains why liberals live in perpetual outrage. Reality need never enter their daily life. We've got executives from all the above companies arrested and convicted for the crimes they committed, yet a liberal can whine that "executives" are getting away with something. I always knew "liberal outrage" was phony and manufactured, thanks for confirming that.

-Ogami

Token prosecutions at best. For every one corrupt exec that the government has gone after, there's hundreds waiting in the wings.

Anyone heard of Halliburton?

Sarek wrote:

Excuse me? Wasn't it a republican senator that used sneaky backdoor politics to introduce the legislation to begin with? Granted, some Democrats voted for it, but it was Bush and a republican senate that tried to stop a preemptive bill introduced by democrats that would designate the remaining areas of the contested wildlife refuge officially off-limits to oil drilling.

We need an ANWR drilling bill that ensures that every drill going into the soil goes through a wild animal first. You can't take any chances. Scott Adams drew a Dilbert strip like that, I actually found his take on ANWR:

My Environmental Guilt: Lately I've been getting flamed by people telling me I shouldn't put my political opinions in the comic strip. This surprised me because I didn't know I had any political opinions. In one recent comic I depicted an Elbonian oil worker drilling through the back of a unicorn. Apparently something about that psychotic mess looked like an opinion about drilling in the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve.

It's hard to have a righteous opinion on the environment when you're as selfish and uninformed as I am. On one hand, I'm a cat-loving vegetarian who ought to care deeply about the caribou or koala bears or bats or whatever they have in Alaska. On the other hand, I live in California so I'd be willing to squeeze schoolchildren to death if I thought some oil would come out.

I might feel different if I planned to visit the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve anytime soon. But I don't know what I would do once I got there, aside from praying that I froze to death before I got eaten by a caribou, or a koala bear, or a bat. I've seen pictures of the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve and I can sum it up in just two words: North Dakota. Do we really need two North Dakotas? I mean, we already have South Dakota as an emergency spare.

I don't know whom to believe about the number of critters that will get hurt by drilling in Alaska. The oil companies want me to believe that the drilling crews will be giving backrubs and chocolate to the penguins, possibly taking them to formal dances. The environmentalists want me to believe that herds of caribou will be squeezed into a single windowless igloo and forced to make sneakers out of their own hide for ten cents an hour. My confusion is compounded by the fact that I ran over a squirrel yesterday while taking my car into the shop. I don't know how that's related, but it seemed worth mentioning.

Many questions remain.

Will more animals die during,
a) oil drilling in the Alaskan Wilderness Preserve, or
b) production of footwear for the protesters?

How much oil is in the ground up there in Alaska anyway? In your heart you know that somewhere there's a guy in a cubicle who had to come up with an estimate for his boss. He probably didn't have the budget to do the kinds of tests he wanted to do so he just flew up there, stomped around in a big furry outfit, stuck some poles in the ground, and proclaimed it to contain five billion barrels of oil. He knew he'd be working someplace else before anyone was the wiser. As the data worked its way up the chain of management, every manager tacked on a few billion barrels to puff up his own importance. Now we're pretty sure that the entire planet Earth is comprised of nothing but two inches of topsoil covering a huge ball of oil.

To summarize my political opinions:

1. I don't like unicorns
2. There is no oil in schoolchildren
3. Everyone on earth is a lying weasel
---- Scott Adams

Back