Well, I can't find my "A Serious Question for the Question" thread soo....

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I was going to resurrect that thread for Serious Discussion instead of petty gay trolling, but I can't find it, so...new thread:

Is the MCU the benchmark/canary in the coal mine of Woke Disney? Particularly the Avengers movies. But yeah. Iron Man. Arms dealer. Sure he feels bad about it and takes steps to fix things, but at the end of the film Tony Stark is still an eeeevil merchant of death. So eventually we get to the first Avengers movie. Coulson shows Cap his uniform and Cap says something about maybe the American flag being hokey and corny and Coulson says something about how people still want to believe in America. Hulk regularly, nonchalantly, beats the shit out of gods. By the last Avengers movie, Cap is wearing his am-bi-guos dark blue suit and rocking a full hippie beard. Hulk is a pussy. Thor is a fat chickenshit pussy.

Trying to think at exactly what point in the MCU Disney went woke is a bit like trying to decide specifically what episode ST: Voyager sucked on (probably the one where they landed the ship on that planet). But it is maybe a fun exercise.

The Question

Eternal
I'd say Captain Marvel was the drop off the cliff. Civil War was the last installment that was mostly free of that shit.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I was going to resurrect that thread for Serious Discussion instead of petty gay trolling, but I can't find it, so...new thread:

Is the MCU the benchmark/canary in the coal mine of Woke Disney? Particularly the Avengers movies. But yeah. Iron Man. Arms dealer. Sure he feels bad about it and takes steps to fix things, but at the end of the film Tony Stark is still an eeeevil merchant of death. So eventually we get to the first Avengers movie. Coulson shows Cap his uniform and Cap says something about maybe the American flag being hokey and corny and Coulson says something about how people still want to believe in America. Hulk regularly, nonchalantly, beats the shit out of gods. By the last Avengers movie, Cap is wearing his am-bi-guos dark blue suit and rocking a full hippie beard. Hulk is a pussy. Thor is a fat chickenshit pussy.

Trying to think at exactly what point in the MCU Disney went woke is a bit like trying to decide specifically what episode ST: Voyager sucked on (probably the one where they landed the ship on that planet). But it is maybe a fun exercise.
If half my friends got snapped out of existence, I might grow a hippie beard and turn into a pussy. Death changes you. We all deal with grief and trauma in our own way. Anyway, what about Hawkeye? He became a cool vigilante assassin by the last movie. Ok sure it was all undone with the Hawkeye series a few months later.....

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
How the hell is Disney "woke" exactly? I think you guys have twisted up what it actually means somewhat.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
How the hell is Disney "woke" exactly? I think you guys have twisted up what it actually means somewhat.

Disney is woke because they aren't as racist anymore and actually try to give equal screen time to non white characters and promote peace and love instead of war and violence. Let's be more like Dennis Leary and less like Dennis Queery.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
woke
/wōk/

Learn to pronounce

verb
  1. past of wake1.
adjective
informal•US
adjective: woke; comparative adjective: woker; superlative adjective: wokest
  1. alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
    "we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

2. Guess that leaves Chuckie out.

MODMAN

A Hollywood production: "We are diverse and looking to tell / reimagine a story for a modern audience."

Trolls: "Well fuck blacks and chicks - so woke."

Some Internet People: "Troll! Bigot! Racist!." (correct observation)

Mainstream Media: Racist Trolls Campaign against A Hollywood Production.

<A Hollywood production premiers>

Some Internet People: "Incredible! I love it. Fuck the haters.."

Other Internet People (previous silent on the matter): "Well that was boring / badly written / shitty."

Some Internet People (pointing at Other Internet People): "Troll! Bigot! Racist!"

Mainstream Media: A Hollywood Production Review-Bombed by Bigots and Trolls.

Other Hollywood People / Influencers: "We stand in solidarity against hate with A Hollywood Production."

Other Internet People: "But the writing is shit. Huh? The acting is cringe. What are you all on about?"

Some Internet People: "LOL well don't watch it then and keep your negativity to yourself. This is phenomenal."

Other Internet People: "But ... I offered a reasoned, well-constructed critique. A Hollywood Production is terrible."

Some Internet People: "Haters gonna hate."

Other Internet People: "That's not an argument! Being diverse and woke is not a substitute for quality!"

Some Internet People: "Bigot / racist confirmed."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Here's the thing about storytelling: The key is to include things that tell the story well. Especially if you make your living as a storyteller (and truth be told, we all do to some extent). So you need to explain why Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are at each other's throats. Or who Stitch is and how he can pass for an Earth dog. You don't need parents to have to explain to their kids why those two ladies are kissing in a cartoon (unless that is important to the story) or why The Little Mermaid isn't a ginger anymore. This was my gripe with the "Sandman" series too. The comic was always cutting edge and pushing boundaries. But it did it in ways that advanced the story. Making Dream's sister black or making Lucifer a chick or whatever else doesn't advance the story. It only confuses the story. People have to stop and go "wait. Why is the Devil a chick?" "Why is he white but this black chick is apparently his sister?"

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you hit the nail on the head: "Civil War." The heroes were still heroic. They were on different sides, but standing for what they thought was right. Spidey's first appearance in the MCU was a lot of fun. It all worked. Everything supported the story. The most confusing thing was Ant Man becoming a giant. And if you read the comics, that's no surprise.

The Question

Eternal
"Woke" occurs when race and/or gender swapping of characters is done for no story-based reason -- or, especially, when doing so runs contrary to the story. "Woke", additionally, occurs when "representation" is ham-fisted and extrinsic to the story; for example, when "Special Demographic" is all the character in question is.

An example is the Marvel depiction of Heimdallr; casting Idris Elba was an instance of wokeness, because there was not only no reason to cast a black actor to play a white character, doing so ran contrary to the pretense, however flimsy, that the 'Asgardians' were supposed to represent the Aesir-gods of Norse mythology. The wokeness in this example was, admittedly, made more mild by the fact that Elba's portrayal wasn't written such that 'black' was All He Is.

Lastly, "woke" occurs when the characters involved lack flaws, internal conflict, or just generally any capacity for learning or growth, because they're already "perfect."

Contrast Rey "Skywalker" or more recently Jennifer Walters against Sarah Connor or Ellen Ripley. The latter two characters are beloved because we watch them earn their Badass merit badge.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
For various reasons, I found myself looking at clips. The "...First Avenger" suit is fairly muted. As is the "Civil War" suit. Really, the only loud and proud red, white, and blue suit is Cap's "Avengers" suilt--which is really not that great a suit for various reasons.

But I digress. Next question, Question. A two-parter:

1) What is the best taco?

b) Can a taco really ever be better than a burrito?

The Question

Eternal
1. It's a tie between carne asada and al Pastor.

b. Definitely not.

Bonus answer:

3. Carne asada fries > poutine, because fuck Canada.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
1. It's a tie between carne asada and al Pastor.

b. Definitely not.

Bonus answer:

3. Carne asada fries > poutine, because fuck Canada.
Oh my fuck yes Canada for French fries and gravy and poutine. My fat ass 49 year virgin self may never have sex but those foods I reckon are pretty damn close.

(I jizzed in my pants just typing the above sentences)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A San Diego-style carne asada burrito is as close to heaven as you can get with food.

That said, there is also something to be said for a good Tex-Mex restaurant's "wet" burrito meal. And that...I just might go with chicken or even pork over beef. And then drenched in sauce and cheese with a big dollop of sour cream with refried beans pooling up against it.

The Question

Eternal
The Navajo taco -- particularly "Christmas" style* -- is not to be missed.

*so named due to the "Christmas colors" of red and green from the inclusion of salsa picante on one side, salsa verde on the other side, and topped with a generous plop of sour cream.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Found the old thread back...and lost it again. You're gonna think this is more trolling, but it is a serious question: If you could make good money off an OnlyFans page, with relatively little work--but most of your Fans were gay men, would you do it? You wouldn't have to interact with the Fans, just put up content.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Heh. Came up with a (hopefully) interesting follow-up question while walking The Dog: Say a person could actually make good money writing leftist moonbat stuff. And say you could actually convincingly write it. Would you? You could use a pen name.

The Question

Eternal
That one: Yes. Yes, I would. I'd take their money and insert even more absurd clownshit into their mass consciousness.

I'd make them even more hilarious laughingstocks of themselves, for pay. 100%, absolutely.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Interesting. I did not expect that answer. For me it would be totally the opposite. What do I care if dudes are jacking off to pictures of me as long as I don't know and it makes me money? They aren't hurting anything. On the other hand, if I were writing things that influenced leftist dingbats to be even more leftist, it would seem that I'm hurting the country (assuming I don't actually believe in the leftist viewpoint); I'd be using my skills and abilities for harm.