What is the appeal of horse racing?

Similar appeal to NASCAR, only instead of hoping to see a car crash we hope that our horse wins us lots of money.

I've been to the horse races a few times, it's kinda fun but you have to wait a long time between races. I had money to gamble with, so I gambled on the other races around the country while waiting for the next race to start.

NASCAR is enjoyable to watch.

They should attach lasers to the horses.

I'd get more enjoyment watching my nephew run around in a circle than watching cars.

They should attach rocket launchers and/or mini-guns onto the cars.

Serious deja vu -- have we had this conversation before?

I don't see the appeal, I do see the unnecessary rough treamtent of horses, as well as the brutal self-abuse that jockeys do to keep their weight down.

Watch the documentary Jockey, it's been on HBO for years. They're more fucked up than supermodels. They all puke, and take laxatives, and sit in steam boxes for hours, and ruin their livers, kidneys, skin and teeth in the process.

It's one of those vestiges of what I call "Old Earth" that I hope will fade away in this century the more we evolve (or Republicans die off, same difference).

Yeah I don't see the appeal and after that behind the scenes glimpse its even less appealing. OTOH when my brother won that $500 wager from a radio station it was appealing knowing we'd win some amount no matter the outcome because he put money on all the horses in the 4th race.

[YOUTUBE]OjUcbe7W2Cg[/YOUTUBE]

Horse Racing and Cricket are the only sports I know that require all day drinking and bad behaviour while dressed in nice clothes.

I would go to Nascar if you had to dress up a bit.

BECAUSE WHEN YOU WIN THE TRIFECTA, LIKE I DID 2 YEARS AGO, YOU GIVE THEM $50 AND IT BECOMES OVER $1,000, WITH WHICH YOU CAN BUY CANDY AND COMIC BOOKS AND A DATE WITH TV'S TRICIA HELFER

Horse racing is only exciting when the horses buck the rider and tries to made a run for it. Only when they go charging through the stands at full gallop causing a stampede of screaming drunks and hoodlums does it really get good!

:techman:

Without horse riding there would be a lot less glue in the world.

[Harry Hill]Hm, hm, do you know they make glue out of horses? hm hm? Funny thing is, if you touch a horse, they aren't really that sticky.[/Harry Hill]

Back