Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What IS trolling?

The Question

Eternal
Trolling isn't just posting something outrageous. Real Trolling is manipulating circumstances on a message board to the point where people want to kill you while you piss yourself laughing

Well, now.

An off topic post that generates many post and flames among the other posters?

The object lesson in the original quote being that open obnoxiousness is often detrimental to good trolling, not beneficial to it.

I will only chime in that obnoxious behavior is in the eye of the reader. (There is over the top, but I'm talking about simple different tastes clashes)

The object lesson in the original quote being that open obnoxiousness is often detrimental to good trolling, not beneficial to it.

Narrow. Cherry-picking your circumstances.

And BTW: Trolling is not just about being an asshole.

Literally true.

I quoted both because they provide the contrasts to this board and the rest of the "trolling field."

TheQuestion's quote works for this board and perhaps others like it. Speck's quote is true in its entirety.

Maybe I can insert my own definition of trolling into the scheme, though it is by no means definitive: trolling is the attempt at shaking the target board out of its customary frame of reference.

Obnoxiousness, shock, discussion, flame - thay all have their places depending on the type of board. Whereas obnoxiousness may not work on some boards, it will work on others. Same with all the other tactics.