what will we do when the oil runs out?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
It isn't what are "we" going to do when the oil runs out. What are the oil producing countries going to do when the oil runs out? What are the oil companies going to do when the oil runs out? The rest of us will do what we've always done. We'll survive. We'll switch over to the fuel cells, batteries, pedal powered, and whatever alternative fuel and method of transportation that we need to switch to so we can continue to get around and consume. That is what we do.

I'm not so worried about it. There is an electric car recharging station at my local grocery store. Guess my next car will be electric.

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
nice ideas, but is any serious money really being put into researching these alternatives? And pedal power? What a great advancement for mankind! Would you want to pedal to work every day? And pedal everywhere else?!!!

And will they be enough?!!!! It's not just our cars that rely on oil - just about every facet of modern civilization does.
When it runs out - and it will - the suburbs will become the slums of the future!!!!!!!!!! We're living in a fool's paradise and nobody has the foresight to do anything about it!!!!!!!!!!

and why would you care about the big oil companies? Poor, poor multi-billionaires. Fuck em. They're partly responsible for this impending catastrophy

and the oil producing countries are so wealthy already it won't matter. Besides, they can go back to living in tents and riding camels.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Corn is a renewable source and would be good for our farmers too.

Pedal power is not a bad thing. Quite a few civilized areas rely on pedal power as a mode of mass transportation.
So far as big oil/gas companies, who do you think already has the infrastructure in place for refueling stations? It has already begun. There are electric recharging stations at gas stations and grocery stores now. It is in their best interest to convert as they are just as capable of seeing the writing on the wall as everyone else. They've got the money and the real estate.

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
the big oil companies are conspiring together to supress renewable sources of energy. Fact. Some environmental scientists have even wound up mysteriously dead. Fact.

Pedal power as a means of mass transportation? LOL 3/4 of the population are morbidly obese and can barely walk let alone ride a bike.

Horses are a much more likely means of future transportation. Or dogs.

Skin Of Evil

Undeniably Plausible
Make the hippies stand in big bowls, hose them down, and run our machinery on the extracted grease.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
What exactly are "hippies" BG?

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
The real problem is not oil running out, it is Chinese refrigerators.

The Chinese middle class is estimated at 300 million people. That is just under the entire population of the United States. Guess what - they all want the pointless shit we own. Household appliances need massive amounts of crap to build them, then we need to burn lots of crap to feed the electricity needs of this massive population.

Then we all burn in hell, because the Chinese really couldn't give a toss about the environment.

So, worry about a Chinese washing machine if you want, but not the oil running out.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
Horses will make a comeback on a massive scale. They'll eat hay and grain and their own gas -- wait a minute they woud cause air pollution -- there goes the ozone layer!

We can utilize the used grease from fast food places to run our vehicles -- wait a minute, we'd all smell that french fry exhaust and be hungry for more junk food.

We could run our cars with batteries like the pretentious snot box the Prius -- wait a minute, it ruins the environment digging for the minerals used to run those batteries and then they become a deadly land fill problem.

We can run our vehicles on corn/ethanol -- wait a minute, if we divert corn for cars/trucks that means we can't feed the world's starving people. Cars or people?

We could walk or ride a bike to and from work like the Chinese -- wait a minute, the rich will have access to fuel t run their limos and run the pedestrians/bycycalist over.

No matter what we choose the choice will be fraught with problems. I have faith that everything humans need to survive can be found on this planet. There are all sorts of options besides oil. We can recycle all that old plastic to make new products. We can become more frugal with all our resouces. We did so in WWI & WWII, we can do it again.

Don't worry, be happy.