When Smitty Tried to write!

BitchSlapSmitty

He fell down and broke his crown, haw!

Ok, i can't find the better draft, so this will have to suffice.

“Fast Breakâ€

Fiction by J.M. Hunter, for Engl.280. Creat.Writ.

11/02/02

Dane Michael Xavier bounced the ball on the hard-wood gym floor, once, twice, three times. He liked to get a rhythm going, to get a feel for the ball in his hands. Hearing the basketball hit the floor three times; Dane felt each bounce was a confirmation of confidence building within him. Four, five, six, the affirmation set, a rising crescendo for him to get to his goal. Only one thing in his way, Malcolme, his younger brother.

Malcolme moved in rhythm as well, keeping ready, waiting for Dane to advance. Dane bounced the ball again, seven, eight, nine, bounced the ball again, ten , eleven, twelve. The look of determination on Mal’s face softened, annoyance and thinning patience set in. It was this instant Dane was waiting for.

He charged, faking towards the left then moving to the right, Malcolme stayed with him- barely. Dane spun to the left again, leaving Malcolme, and stormed directly towards the basket. The sound of thunder rebounded off the gym wall, or was it coming from their feet hitting the floor, maybe the driving blood pumping in their veins? Dane was almost underneath the basket. Malcolme was on him instantly. He had caught up.

Dane vaulted off one foot. He extended his outside arm, holding the ball, while simultaneously pushing the other arm against Malcolme’s body, in an effort to build a defense against his younger brother’s aerial assault towards the ball. Dane released the ball from his fingers, off the tips, giving it that extra lift towards the basket, its’ home.

Mal reached for it, incoming denial so imminent. Dane leaned in, pushing his weight on his guarding arm against Malcolme. Both brothers were stretched out, bodies tangled in mid-air; Dane more thickly built than younger Malcolme, who was leaner and taller, but lighter.

Mal fell away, as the ball arced towards the basket. It went in softly, swishing in as if there never was a doubt. It knew where it belonged.

Malcolme’s feet hit the floor first, heavy with disappointment. Dane landed next, despite his heavier bulk. Not fat, but fit, he landed lightly. Then the ball joined the two brothers; bouncing once, twice, three times, before rolling and stopping against the wall, its mission accomplished, a point made. The point made. Malcolme felt betrayed. He ignored the ball and rested his hands on his hips; shaking his head disappointedly, he huffed.

“Damn, man, you always do that shit!†He said with a pouting _expression.

“What?†Dane shrugged, wiping sweat off his brow with the bottom of his shirt. He walked over to the wall and picked up the ball. It stayed silent now. Malcolme held out his hand gesturing to the recently vacated court where the two brothers just battled for supremacy, the ten-point championship.

“That shit, brotha! What the hell was that?â€

“What? You mean a lay-up?†Dane replied, tilting his head to the side, raising a perplexed eye-brow toward Malcolme. Malcolme let out another huff of air, sounding like a bicycle tire hissing flat.

“Shiiit, more like charging fool!†He shook his head for emphasis.

“Whatever gets the job done, and to answer your question: That wuz yo ass, game point sucka.†Dane smiled, walking past, but not before throwing the ball towards Malcolme’s mid-section, getting a grunt and a slight flinch in response.

“Yeah, well I wanna rematch, sucka!†He stuttered with his hand up. Dane turned slightly. He regarded his little brother standing defiantly straight up. He was his full height now of six-three held the ball out with one hand. A similar challenge, like the one that got his ass handed to him just a little while ago. Dane looked into his brother’s brown eyes; this little cupcakea, trying to look hard. Dane wondered how long he could keep that look. Had he learned it while Dane was away serving in the Marines? Did Mal look like that when others tried to front on him? The gangs? Dane couldn’t stand them. He’d watched them go in and out of the pen, and seen some of them disappear forever. He didn’t like being treated or looked at like he was one of them too. He served some time in the brig himself when he was in the Corps. There was an unfortunate incident involving his commanding officer’s arm when he tried to beat Dane during a training session like he was his kid. It got Dane kicked out of the Marines and shipped back home. Which is where he’d rather be now anyways.

He looked at Malcolme studying that hard look so intently and wondered how much he may have missed of his brother and sister, Tanya growing up. If he could help it, he’d never be away from his family again. It was something that worried him on occasion. Some serious shit, this game of life was. Suddenly as if on cue Malcolme’s face cracked into a wide smile, lightening the mood . They both started laughing. Malcolme threw the ball at Dane, hitting him on the lower part of his thickly muscled leg.

“Let’s go. Momma’s waitin.†Dane said, picking up the ball again.

Malcolme locked up the Boys and Girls Club. Dane looked on

“You really like workin here. Don’t you? You like what you do.†Dane asked then handed Malcolme his bag, adjusting his own on his shoulder. Malcolme then dropped the key into his pocket. He looked at Dane.

“Yeah, it’s cool you know. I get to show a lot of what I know to these kids. Some of them, don’t have much, they don’t have an older brother, or at least one that actually gives a damn!â€

Dane figured that this wasn’t the first time Malcolme had been asked this question, or at least thought about it before.

“So what you sayin, I actually give a damn!†Dane glowered. Malcolme smiled in response, knowing his brother was messing with him. Dane didn’t joke much, or smile a lot. He was like a stone, but he was a good man, a family man.

“Jus sayin, that there’s more to life than dealin crack, or gang bangin, or workin the drive thru is all. Even this basketball game is fleeting. You could be the bomb ass cupcakea, and try to play for the pros, but if you get hurt, that’s it! Your out, you know? Game of life, dog.†Malcolme sighed, somber now. Dane nodded once, in silent agreement, then broke the silence.

“Of course lil brother, we all know you ain’t N.B.A. material, kinda weak game you got!†He snorted.

Mal flipped him the finger in response, smiling. His brother was all right. He was young and smart, wanting to make something of himself. Dane, the oldest of three children belonging to a single, hard working mother, felt it was his responsibility to take care of his two younger siblings. He had to help his momma out, with Mal and their younger sister Tanya, who was seventeen, and about to graduate high school. He’d do anything for his family and always protected them whenever they needed it.

A humming noise of exhaust, metal breaking, and churning broke him of his stirrings. Malcolme reacted first, looking at Dane, wide-eyed, with an “oh shit†look on his face. Dane’s face matched his, replacing his usual complacent, grim visage. Malcolme broke into a run.

“Damn, the bus!†His tall legs carried him towards the corner bus stop. Dane ran after him, he was a lot shorter and heavier than Malcolme, so he had to break into a sprint to catch up. He had almost caught up to the younger man when the large white and green transit bus zoomed by. They both turned the corner; Malcolme waived a hand in the air, yelling out frantically.

“Hey, wait up! Stop!†He stopped running. His hand still in the air he angrily dismissed the disappearing bus with a wave, “Maaan, that’s some cold shit!†He stomped at the pavement as Dane approached, slowed down, and caught his breath. Tight lipped, he didn’t say anything, not particularly surprised at this turn of events. Mal on the other hand wasn’t ready to let it go.

“Man what the hell! I know he saw my ass!†He put his hands on his waist and shook his head again, like he always did when something wasn’t going right.

“Malâ€, Dane finally said. Malcolme looked at Dane waiting for his brother to speak in that quiet baritone of his. “We ain’t in our neighborhood. This the city man, they ain’t gonna stop for two blacks all hollering, running down the street.â€

“What you mean two blacks all hollering?†He jokingly glared down at Dane; “You was eatin my dust, trying to catch up!†Dane chuckled at this, and shook his head. He started to think about what to do next, but Malcolme was just getting started.

“Dude, that’s still fucked up though! He coulda stopped, yeah he could stopped.†He held up his hands in mock surrender, “What the hell we gonna rob a bus for, huh? For some mother-fucking change?†He snorted, then continued. Dane let him. Malcolme hunched over holding his hands in front of him shaking them, langly fingers and all.

“Exeeeecuuuuse me, Mistah bus drivah, suh!†In his best Po black man’s voice. “Wit this here hand fo’ of change, I jus robbed from ya’sâ€, He finished in his best Bryant Gumble impersonation. “I can save a buck or two!†Dane let out a laugh at this point, barely able to hold it in, Malcolme joined in too.

‘It’s still jacked up man! That was the last bus!â€

“I know, I know.†Dane said calming down. The two brothers looked at each other, laughter abated now. Dane knew already what was on Malcolme’s mind. Still the nineteen year old said it.

“It takes almost two hours to go all the way around. Momma will get worried.â€

“Straight.†Dane agreed.

“We could call her to let her know. Should we?â€

Dane shook his head no. “She’ll worry even more, want to pick us up. No. I don’t want her driving out this late.â€

“So we gonna do it then?†Malcolme asked, taking a deep breath, zipping up his jacket as he suddenly got colder. Dane stood up, rolled his wide shoulders back. He looked off in the distance, his voice just as far.

“If we do, we go thru quick, no stopping and we’ll stay by the empty buildings. We hurry up and we can make it home in a half an hour, in time for dinner, and Momma’s cornbread.’

Malcolme nodded. He patted his head, smoothing over his fade while looking off distantly towards a mass of broken buildings, some abandoned, some infested.

“You know anybody in there?†his concern showing.

Dane frowned, eyes narrowing, grim again. â€Not anymore, not since before I went off to the corps. You?â€

Malcolme shook his head. “Only a couple ofiggas, shady peeps, nobody really.â€

Dane picked up his gym bag. Malcolme followed suit. They started toward a vacant lot that led to rubble piles and abandoned buildings. Dane said nothing, wearing a bull dog look on his face, his muscles tensed. Malcolme hunched his shoulders, he tried to look wider, more menacing like his big brother.

He hissed under his breath, “Fucking projects, yo.â€

BitchSlapSmitty

Fuck it, i can't find the script. This just ain't my day when it comes to finding shit.

but, yea i had plans to take the above story into the horror/sci-fi genre's but then opted to take those ideas and apply them to other projects, so this is just gonna have to stand as a start of a short story.

VKD

Banned
Too long, didn't read

BitchSlapSmitty

The Question

Eternal
That's not bad. One question for you, and a (constructive, I hope) criticism, but on the whole very nicely written.

Question: Is this the entire story? The impression I get from it is that of a very promising beginning to something a little larger in scope.

Criticism: You do appear to need a good editor for technical stuff -- basically, just a proofreader -- and no, I don't mean for the dialect. I see exactly what you're doing there.

Just punctuation and spelling, nothing big. And that's not exactly a very harsh criticism -- most writers do have difficulty with the finer technical details, and that's why editors exist in the first place.

On the whole, though, very nice -- honestly, better than average, and better than I expected.

EDIT: That last sentence sounds a little condescending, and that's not how you should take it at all. You just surprised me with your ability, which is definitely above average.

BitchSlapSmitty

The Question said:
That's not bad. One question for you, and a (constructive, I hope) criticism, but on the whole very nicely written.

Question: Is this the entire story? The impression I get from it is that of a very promising beginning to something a little larger in scope.

Criticism: You do appear to need a good editor for technical stuff -- basically, just a proofreader -- and no, I don't mean for the dialect. I see exactly what you're doing there.

Just punctuation and spelling, nothing big. And that's not exactly a very harsh criticism -- most writers do have difficulty with the finer technical details, and that's why editors exist in the first place.

On the whole, though, very nice -- honestly, better than average, and better than I expected.

EDIT: That last sentence sounds a little condescending, and that's not how you should take it at all. You just surprised me with your ability, which is definitely above average.

Yea, that's just the intro and to meet the dead line, i had to cut it off there. When I was in college,i ALWAYS hit the writing lab for assitance and edits. I have several philosophy essays somewhere as well, but I can't find all my files.

Like i mentioned in the other thread, this story enabled me to tap some other angles i hadn't seen in comics before, more of the urban nature. If things pan out like they're supposed to, then the outcome will be seen in future publications. Just need to get off the computer and get to work.

but yea, thanks for the crits. They were valid critiques.

BitchSlapSmitty

No worries, I aim to please, when I'm not um...aiming to offend.

BitchSlapSmitty

I found that script.

I found the script, but i'm looking for another thing i wrote, which is a bad example of horror writing, but pertains to what we were talking about when it comes to capturing the genre.

“PROCRASTI-cupcakeAâ€
A Slacker-Noir Mini-comic
By J.M. Hunter
1/24/04

PAGE ONE.

P-1: EXT. Open with a shot of a brick building, a loft where we see in one of the windows, a silhouette of a television and a body on the couch. Laughter comes out from said window.

Vox, off- panel

“HA, HA, HAH!-“

P-2: INT. A slothful looking long-haired dude named LLOYD sits on the couch laid back wearing a stained t-shirt and shorts; he’s got a hemp bracelet on his wrist. He has one arm resting behind his matted head, and the other holding the remote. He’s watching TV. cackling at the program. Beside the couch he’s on is a small table with a bong on it and other debris. In front of LLOYD is a longer coffee table with various slothful debris, such as cups, plates, cigarettes and beer bottles. It’s the usual slacker, loady garbage that collects itself on the table.

LLOYD

“HEH, HA, HAH, HEH,
AHHH, THIS SHIT IS FUCKED! YO!â€

P-3: A figure walks in front of out p.o.v. We see only from his shoulder a little pass his waist. He’s dressed in a jacket, t-shirt, baggy pants and we can see a wallet chain. LLOYD struggles to look around the figure still into the program. He doesn’t stop laughing. It’s like the greatest thing he’s ever seen.

FIGURE WALKING BY.

“’SCUSE ME LLOYD.â€

(1)

PAGE ONE CONT’D.

P-4: The figure sits down on the couch next to LLOYD. We now can see most of him. He’s a young twenty something male with short, spiky, black hair, dark sullen eyes, and both of his ears are pierced with hoop earrings, plus his cartilage is pierced as well. His features are mixed. He’s of different ethnicities which add an attractive appeal to him. Hell anyone could look good sitting next to LLOYD. His name is MICHAEL, but he often goes by MIKEY. Again, he sits staring at the TV. with a jaded stare and an apathetic expression. He’s a contrast to LLOYD’S jovial amusement.

LLOYD

“HEH, THIS SHIT IS WHACKED YO!
THIS BITCH JUST MAKES FUNNY FACES
AND WAVES HER HANDS IN THE AIR WHEN
SHE’S ANGRY, THERE’S NO SOUND ON THIS
SHIT, HEH. “

P-5: A side shot of both, with MIKEY in the foreground, watching the silent film. We can see more of the loft now. It’s a little cluttered, but stylish. The TV. casts reflecting light on MIKEY’S otherwise stiff posture.

MIKEY
“IT’S A SILENT FILM.
HER NAME IS ANNETTE KELLERMAN,
SHE’S THE FIRST AMERICAN ACTRESS TO STAR NUDE IN A FILM.
SHE’S FROM THE EARLY 1900’S.
THEY DIDN’T HAVE SOUND BACK THEN, SO SHE HAS TO BE MORE EXPRESSIVE. “

END OF PAGE ONE.

(2)
PAGE TWO.

P-1: Straight shot on LLOYD, grabbing his crotch with a lewd sneer.

LLOYD.

“WHATEVER.
SHE CAN GET EXPRESSIVE ON MY JOHNSON! HAH!
HOW DO YOU KNOW SO MUCH ‘BOUT THIS SHIT MIKEY????â€

P-2: On MIKEY now mostly as LLOYD sniffs his hand. MIKEY wears the same expression as if he either doesn’t notice LLOYD, or doesn’t care much at this point.

LLOYD, (off panel)

“SNIFF, WHEEEEW!â€

MIKEY

“I USED TO DATE THIS GIRL THAT WAS INTO THESE KINDS OF MOVIES A LOT. ANNETTE KELLERMAN WAS ONE OF HER FAVORITES.â€

P-3: On LLOYD again leaned back, glad to have someone listen to the sound of his voice. His expression still lewd.

LLOYD

“HEH, SO YOU HAD TO WATCH ALL THIS LAME ASS SHIT, JUST TO GET SOME PUSSY? HAH.â€

(3)

PAGE TWO CONT’D.

P-4: Back on MIKEY, as he rises from the couch.

MIKEY

“YEAH, PRETTY MUCH.
PUSSY DOES STRANGE THINGS TO A MAN.â€

P-5: A long shot of LLOYD looking over his shoulder as MIKEY’S form walks behind the couch towards off panel.

LLOYD

“HELL YEA IS DOES, BRO!
WHERE YOU OFF TO,
ALL DRESSED NICE AND SPIFFY?â€

END OF PAGE TWO.

(4)

PAGE THREE:

P-1: A big panel of MIKEY in the foreground, face darkly lit, grim. LLOYD in the back ground looking at MIKEY with an eye-brow raised expression from his spot on the couch.

MIKEY

“I’M GOING UP TO THE ROOF, TO COMMIT SUICIDE.â€

LLOYD

“FER REALS?
THAT’S COOL MAN,
YOU’RE A BRAVER SOUL THEN I.â€

P-2: Full shot on MIKEY as he’s spun around now, holding open his jacket and wearing a mischievous grin. This is the first time we see him smile even. He looks like he’s modeling his clothes.

MIKEY
“YUP, GOT MY FAVORITE DICKERS JACKET ON.
MY PLAGUE OF YOUTH TEE FROM THE 99 TOUR, THE WATCH MY MOM GAVE ME LAST YEAR….

P-3: Close on MIKEY’S fingers pointing to his shoes, his sneakers draped over by his baggy pants.
MIKEY

“AND MY FAVORITE VANITIES SNEAKS ON!â€

LLOYD

‘DAMN, MAN YOU GOING OUT IN STYLE BRO!â€

END OF PAGE THREE.
(5)
PAGE FOUR.

P-1: The angle switches now to where we the reader can see from LLOYD’S p.o.v. We see his hand holding out a joint as an offering to MIKEY, who’s got his hand on the door knob, ready to open it. MIKEY’S smiling.

MIKEY

“TAKE IT EASY LLOYD.â€

LLOYD

“WILL DO DOG.
HEY YOU WANNA HIT THIS BEFORE YOU JUMP?
GOTTA TRY IT AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE YOU LEAVE THIS PLANE MAN?â€

P-2: Shot of MIKEY holding up his hand in a declining gesture. The door is open now. He’s almost thru it.

MIKEY

“NAH, MAN, I’M STRAIGHT. THANKS ANYWAYS DUDE.â€

LLOYD

“AIGHT MAN, PEACE OUT BRO.â€

P-3: MIKEY is outside the apartment he shakes his head and smiles as LLOYD’S voice yells from inside the apartment.

LLOYD

“YO, DOG, I’M GONNA TAKE YOUR BEDROOM, OKAY!â€

P-4: MIKEY looks up serious, anxious now at the stair case that leads to the rooftop.

P-5: Tighten in on MIKEY’S expression. P-6 shows a dark stair case. And that ends page four.
PAGE FIVE.

P-1: Wide shot panel across the page of MIKEY as he’s perched on the edge of the roof top of the apartment building. From here on it’ll mostly be captions so we can “hear†his inside voice. It’s much more moody now.

MIKEY

“THIS IS IT, MY SWAN SONG WHATEVER THAT MEANS.
I HATE FOR IT TO BE SO DRAMATICâ€

P-2: Were looking up at MIKEY, close up of him looking down. He’s darkly lit, very moody.

MIKEY

“BUT ANY SUICIDE, NO MATTER HOW PASSIVE IS DRAMATIC.â€

P-3: Shot looking down at the street from MIKEY’S p.o.v we can see his sneakers on the ledge. And a vacant street waiting below.

MIKEY

“I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO DRAW IN LIKE SIX MONTHS.
CAN’T AFFORD THE RENT MOST OF THE TIME,
HELL I HAVEN’T HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN TWO YEARS.â€
“THE LAST ONE WASN’T ALL THAT GREAT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
SHE DID A REAL NUMBER ON ME. I GOT MIXED BLOOD, SO IT’S NOT LIKE I ACTUALLY FIT IN ANYWHERE.â€

P-4: MIKEY looks up at the sky. The sun is setting below the San Diego horizon. His arms are spread out; his eyes are closed as a gust of wind blows thru his hair.

MIKEY
“WHAT’S THE POINT?
THERE ISN’T ONE IS THERE?â€
“I’M A SLACKER, COMPILED WITH AN ADDICTIVE COMPULSIVE PERSONALITY.â€
“JONESY WOULD JUST SAY I’M BEING A WHINY BITCH. BUT THIS AIN’T JONESY’S PROBLEM. NOT ANYMORE.â€
PAGE 6.

P-1. INT. Back in the loft, LLOYD still on the couch takes a big fat bong rip. The phone next to him rings.

SFX: BIG FAT BONG RIP SOUND: “SWOOOOOOOOOOP!â€
SFX: PHONE RINGING SOUND: “BRIIIIIIING, BRIIIIIIIIING!â€

P-2: Almost the same panel, LLOYD doesn’t answer it. He’s too busy holding his breath, little puffs of smoke come out of his mouth, as his eyes bug and his cheeks puff out. His posture’s like an asthmatic, taking a deep breath.

SFX: PHONE STILL RINGING SOUND: “BRIIIIIING, BRIIIIIIIIIIIING!â€

P-3: LLOYD looks at the phone while still holding his breath, he looks strained. The phone keeps ringing. More smoke seeps out.

SFX: PHONE RINGING STILL: “RIIIIIIIIING, RIIIIIIIIIIING!â€

LLOYD

“ *shit*, COUGH, COUGH!â€

P-4: LLOYD finally blows out a long plume of smoke followed by him hacking and coughing.
LLYOD

“HACK!COUGH!COUGH!GASP!â€

P-5: LLOYD bugged-eyed now with the phone to his ear.
LLOYD

“HELLOOOOO?â€

P-6: LLOYD eyes are slits now that the bong rip’s settled in. The voice on the phone however is in contrast to the subdued LLOYD.

VOX ON PHONE(angry, shouting)

“FINALLY MAN, SHIT!
MUTHAFUCKA, YA SURE TOOK YOUR SWEET ASS TIME ANSWERING THE MUTHAFUCKIN PHONE!!â€

LLOYD

“WHO’S THIS?â€

VOX ON PHONE, (bigger, louder font.)

IT’S ME FOOL!
JONESY!
I LIVE THERE, REMEMBER!?!â€

END OF PAGE SIX.

PAGE SEVEN.

P-1: The captions here on out are mostly of JONESY and LLOYD going back and forth on the phone, while we the viewers stay with MIKEY on the ledge. He’s still procrastinating. Even with something like this, he’s having a hard time following thru. We see the back of him on the ledge. The captions will have to be different for each voice that speaks.

LLOYD

“OH, YEAH JONESY.
WHAT UP?â€

JONESY

“YEAH, JONESY, SHIIIIIT.
MAN LAY OFF THE SMOKE!

I NEED YOU AND MIKEY TO HELP ME GET THIS SOUND SYSTEM OUTTA MY RIDE..â€

LLOYD

“HUH?
WHAT SOUND SYSTEM?
WHERE YOU AT?â€

P-2: Side shot and a close up on MIKEY, his head’s tilted back, his eyes are closed. He actually looks peaceful. The phone conversation continues.

JONESY

“THE ONE I JUST BOUGHT FOOL!
I’M ALMOST THEREâ€

LLOYD

“OHHHH, OKAAAAY.â€

P-3: A quarter-view shot of MIKEY holding the bridge of his nose in between his fingers, as if he’s got a sinus headache. It’s as if he can hear the phone conversation and is getting equally frustrated.

JONESY

“YEAH, WHATEVER, LISTEN.
I’M AROUND THE CORNER NOW,
GET MIKEY AND MEET ME DOWN STAIRS, AIGHT?â€

LLOYD

UH, MAAAAN, I JUST GOT RELAXED AND SHIT.
I DON’ WANNA LIFT ANY HEAVY STUFF YO.â€

JONESY

“WHAT DA FUCK YOU MEAN?
YO, I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS SYSTEM. IT’S WEDGED IN MY RIDE.
WHERE’S MIKEY AT
PUT MIKEY ON THE PHONE DOG,
YOU PISSIN ME OFF SOMETHING FIERCE!â€

LLOYD

“UHHH, HE’S NOT HERE.
DUDE, CHILL-

JONESY

--WHERE’S HE AT?â€

MIKEY

‘FUCK ME.
I’M OVER-ANAYLSING THIS TOO MUCH.
JUST FUCKING DO IT PUSSY!â€

END OF PAGE SEVEN.

PAGE EIGHT.

P-1: As the conversation with JONESY and LLOYD goes round and round, MIKEY smacks his head in frustration.

MIKEY

“DAMN, MY HEAD HURTS, CAN’T EVEN GO OUT IN PEACE.â€

LLOYD

“UHH, NO MAN, MIKEY’S NOT HERE.
HE’S ON THE ROOF DUDE.â€
JONESY

“SAY WHAT!
WHAT’S HE DOIN UP THERE?â€

P-2: MIKEY still holding his head. He grits his teeth.

MIKEY

“DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, MUTHERFUCKING DAMN!â€

LLOYD

“UHHH, HE SAID HE’S GONNA JUMP OFF THE ROOF.â€

P-3: MIKEY looks up trying to focus.

MIKEY

“MAYBE THIS ISN’T WHAT I WANT AFTER ALL.
MAYBE I SHOULD JUST GO INSIDE AND TAKE AN ASPRIN FIRST.â€

JONESY

“WHAT!
WHAT THE FUCK YOU TALKING ABOUT LLOYD!?â€

LLOYD

“YEA, MAN, HE SAID HE’S GONNA COMMIT SUICIDE DUDE.â€

JONESY

“YOU LET HIM GO UP THERE AFTER HE TOLD YOU THAT SHIT?!â€

LLOYD

“HEY MAN, IT’S HIS CHOICE. I’M RESPECTING THAT.â€
JONESY

“ RES--?!WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FOOL!
I’M ON MY WAY!â€

P-4. MIKEY turns from the ledge, he’s about to step off back on to the roof.

MIKEY

“YEAH, I’LL TALK TO JONESY.â€

P-5: A close up shot of MIKEY’S foot as it slips on some bird shit.

Sfx: “slipâ€.

P-6: Shot of MIKEY wide eyed, with an OH SHIT look on his face, as his body goes out under him, arms flailing wildly in mid air, off the roofs ledge.

MIKEY

“OHH, FUCK!â€

END OF PAGE EIGHT.

PAGE NINE.

P-1: Shot of MIKEY upside down falling from the edge of the roof, his arms are flailing, desperate for anything to grab on to.

Mikey

“OHSHIT,OHSHIT,OHSHIT!â€

P-2: Close up of MIKEY’S face, he’s got a scared expression on his face.

MIKEY

(in captions): “OHSHIT, OHSHIT,OHSHIT!â€

P-3: MIKEY’S body hits a wire snapping it, and causing his to spin sideways. He’s still falling though.

SFX:
“SNAP!!â€

MIKEY

(in captions): “OHSHIT,OHSHIT,OHFUCK!â€
“UGGGH!â€

P-4: MIKEY’S the wire wraps itself around the descending body of MIKEY, as it’s closer to the pavement.

MIKEY

“OH, GOD!â€

P-5: A close up of MIKEY’S face, terror stricken combined with a shot of a closing concreted sidewalk.

MIKEY

“I’M FUCKED,â€

“THIS IS IT!â€

END OF PAGE NINE.

PAGE TEN.

P-1: A car bursts onto the panel just as MIKEY’S wrapped up body slams onto the top of the car, bursting the window’s out from the inpact.

SFX: (car speedsound): VROOOOOOOOOM!
SFX: (loud impact and glass breaking sound): THUMP! SPAAAASH!

MIKEY

“UGGGGGGH!â€

P-2: A shot of the car spinning, peeling out inverted with MIKEY’S limp body wrapped in the wire on the roof of it. The tires shred, since theres no winshield now, we see the top of a persons braided hair tucked behind the steering wheel.

SFX: (car peeling, tires shredding) ERRRRRRRR SCRREEEEEEEEECH!

P-3: A shot of the car, still now, but hissing, MIKEY’S body lays motionless, on the roof, his eyes are closed.

P-4: A car door opens, a figure’s hand reaches out and we see the top of a mans braided hair.

JONESY

“FUCK, DOG! DON’T BE DEAD, MAN, DON’T BE DEAD.â€

P-5: JONESY, now full faced, fearful expression of concern on his face, reaches for MIKEY’S body. MIKEY’S hand moves slightly.

MIKEY

“(moans) OHHHHH, SHIIIIIIIIIIT*â€

JONESY

“THAT’S RIGHT MIKE, I’M HERE, IT’S JONESY! “

P-6: A close up shot of JONESY from MIKEY’S p.o.v as he loses conciousness.

JONESY

“HOLD ON DOG, I’M GONNA GET YOU TO A HOSPITAL!â€

END OF PAGE TEN.

PAGE ELEVEN.

P-1: Int. We’re in a hospital and the shot is of MIKEY, alive! But seriously fucked up in a hospital gown and in a bed with i.v.’s and shit, he’s upright sitting, in bandages with an odd, perplexed look on his face. He’s got one bandaged arm over the blankets and we can’t see the other arm, but we can see his knees raised underneath the blankets. There’s a drissling sound coming from underneath the blankets.

SFX: “DRIIIZZZZLE.â€

P-2: A NURSE comes to the room already talking, but stops abruptly when she notices MIKEY and the raised covers along with the drizzling sound which stops abruptly as well. MIKEY can only raise his eyebrows with an “oh shit look†on his face.

NURSE

“GOOD MORNING MICHAEL IT’S GOOD TO SEE YOU AWA---kk!

MIKEY

“ummmâ€.

P-3.- MIKEY can only pull out the piss filled container and grimace as he holds it outward to the NURSE, who obviously doesn’t want to touch it.

MIKEY

“UM, SORRY, BUT I’VE FILLED IT UP.â€

NURSE

“UHHH, RIIIIGHT.â€

P-4: The NURSE, disgusted, takes the container with two fingers by the handle, some urine drips out a little, only furthering the uncomfort of both individuals. MIKEY’S form is even more huddled, shrunken.

NURSE

“AHHH, YOU HAVE A VISITOR.â€

P-5: Shot of JONESY, holding a coffee cup, smiling ear to ear.

JONESY

“DAMN, SON!
YOU STILL SO FLY WITH DA LADIES HOMEY, HAH!â€

MIKEY

“JONESY!â€

P-6: Shot of the two in the foreground, JONESY leaned up against the bed’s edge, while they both look at the NURSE in the background stepping on a trashcan lever to get the lid up, and dropping the piss jar into the trash in a hurry.

NURSE

“UGH!â€

MIKEY

“DUDE, I HAD TO GO REAL BAD!
I COULDN’T HOLD IT!â€

JONESY

“DON’T SWEAT IT MIKE,
SHE’S STILL NEW TO THIS SHIT.â€

END OF PAGE ELEVEN.

PAGE TWELVE.

P-1: JONESY, now looking at MIKEY, MIKEY, stares forward straight, dazed, or medicated possibly.

NO COPY.

P-2: Same panel. To add to the tension.

MIKEY

“DAMN.â€

JONESY

“YEAH.â€

P-3: The angle changes and we pull in a little tighter on the two. MIKEY looks down, somber, while JONESY pulls up a chair next to the bed.

JONESY

“DOG, WHAT HAPPENED?â€

MIKEY

“DUDE, I JUST GOT SO DOWN.
I WAS FEELIN’ NUTHIN,
NUTHIN AT ALL.â€

“USUALLY, I AT LEAST FEEL LIKE SHIT!
BUT LATELY, NOT A DAMN THING.â€

P-4: Tighten in for a CLOSE-UP on JONESY, his face contorted with concern.

JONESY

“MAN, ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU WANNA JUMP?!â€

MIKEY

“YEAH.â€

P-5: CLOSE-UP on MIKEY looking down at the blankets, still deep in thought.

MIKEY

“YEA, AT LEAST AT FIRST.
THOUGHT, I HAD MYSELF CONVINCED DOG.
THOUGHT IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.â€

P-6: CLOSE on JONESY, face tight and grim.

JONESY

“MIKEY, DOG, THAT AIN’T EVER THE ONLY WAY TO GO MAAN.â€

MIKEY

“YEAH, YEAH, I KNOW.
BUT I THOUGHT I HAD ALL THESE VALID REASONS!â€
SHITTY JOB, ALWAYS BROKE, NO WOMAN, NO ART—
THAT SUCKED THE MOST JONESY…
NOT BEING ABLE TO PUT PENCIL TO PAPER IN MONTHS ON END.
A LIST OF REASONS, I GUESS?!â€

P-7: JONESY holding his hand up in a pointy finger gesture, facial expression decided.

JONESY

“IT’S CAUSE YOU SLEEP IN THAT FUCKING CLOSET MAN!â€

MIKEY,(off panel).

“ SAY, WHAT!?â€

END OF PAGE TWELVE.

PAGE THIRTEEN.

P-1: Biiiig, BIRDS-EYE-VIEW of the room, filled with a thought/image bubble shared by both guys of a small closet with a bed, four drawer dresser, one poster and some clothes hanging up, very dull looking. It’s like a bubble image out of the “Family Circusâ€. This is where MIKEY sleeps.

JONESY

“DOG, YOU SLEEP IN A FUCKING CLOSET.
IN THE MORNING YOU WAKE UP AND ALL YOU SEE IS THOSE FOUR LITTLE WALLS!
HOW MUCH EFFORT DOES IT TAKE YOU TO GET OUTTA BED? HUH?
THEN YOU GOTTA CRAWL OUT THAT LITTLE ASS DOOR,
ALL BECAUSE YOU CONFINED YOURSELF TO THAT BUNK-ASS EXECUSE YOU CALL A ROOM.â€

MIKEY

“DUDE, YOU KNOW I NEEDED THE SPACE!â€

JONESY

“YEA, BUT WHERE?
IT’S LIKE IN THAT CLOSET AND YOUR LIFE, RIGHT?
EVERYTHING’S CLOSED IN!
YOU AIN’T GOT NO SPACE HOMEY!â€

P-2: FULL on both as JONESY leans in closer to MIKEY to drive the point home. MIKEY, looks a little defensive, while he listens to JONESY, he’s nursing his bandaged arm.

MIKEY

“BUT, JONESY, I NEEDED THE ROOM FOR MY ART?â€

JONESY

“ART?
YOU SAID SO YO’ SELF,
YOU AIN’T DONE NO ART IN MONTHS MIKEY!â€
“SO, WHERE’S ALL THAT ROOM GOING TO?
NOT YOU?
RIGHT?â€

P-3: Shot of MIKEY looking at JONESY, feeling his words. JONESY’s hands are up in the air as if to further demonstrate his message. He grins mischievously.

JONESY

“BESIDES, MY MAN,
HOW YOU GONNA GET LAID IN A FUCKIN CLOSET!?â€

“HALF-NEGRO PLEEEEZE!
YOU’D HAVE SOME FREAKY GIRL IN DERE,
TRYING TA RIDE YOU,
BUT SHE HITTIN HER HEAD ON YOUR CLOTHES HANGING UP!â€

MIKEY

(small chuckle), “heh, heh.â€

JONESY

“SHE SPOSE TO BE HITTIN HER HEAD UP GAINST’ THE MUTHA FUCKIN HEAD BOARD,
WHILE YOU HITTIN IT DOGGY STYLE YO!â€

END OF PAGE THIRTEEN.

PAGE FOURTEEN.

P-1: MIKEY is laughing hysterically now, while JONESY goes into full demonstrating mode, up out of his chair with one leg raised, hands out like he’s humping air “doggy styleâ€. His expression is of some real, crazed focus.

MIKEY

“HAH, HA, HA, AH, HAH, IT HURTS SOOO MUCH, STOP IT MAAAAN!â€

JONESY

“YEA, THAT’S WHAT SHE SAYS MAN!
IT’S LIKE THIS,
“YEA BABY, BUMP!
DON’T WORRY GIRL, BUMP!
I’LL GET YOU AN ASPIRIN, BUMP!
WHEN I’M DONE BABY, BUMP!â€

P-2: CLOSE in on JONESY as his head’s thrown backwards howling into the air.

JONESY

“AAAOWWWW! DON’T STOOOOOOP!â€

P-3: CLOSE UP on MIKEY, holding himself in laughter and in pain.

MIKEY

“AHHHH,HAHAHAHH!
SERIOUSLY, IT DOES HURT WHEN I’M LAUGHING
MUTHERFUCKER!â€

JONESY

“WELL, IT SHOULD HURT!â€

P-4: Serious shot of a non-crazed laughing JONESY now, looking pissed at MIKEY.

JONESY

“THAT WAS SOME FUCKED UP SHIT YOU PUT US THROUGH YO.â€
YOU COULDA CAME TO ME MIKEY,
I’M YOUR FRIEND, MEMBER?â€

P-5: FULL on both now, as MIKEY looks shameful now. JONESY sits back in the chair with his arms crossed. Waiting.

MIKEY

“JONESY, I KNOW THAT DOG. I WAS GONNA SAY SOMETHING TO YOU.â€

JONESY

‘YEA, WHEN?
AFTER YOU WERE A SHITSMEAR ON THE MUTHA FUCKIN BLOCK?â€

P-6: CLOSE in a little on MIKEY now. Dark in the background.

MIKEY

“THAT’S JUST IT, MAN, I DECIDED NOT TO GO THROUGH WITH IT.â€

P-7: CLOSE in on JONESY, with his facial turned upward, looking at MIKEY scrutinizing.

JONESY

‘WHAT DA FUCK YOU MEAN DOG?â€

P-8: angel change now, were looking at MIKEY from over JONESY’S shoulder, MIKEY has his hands up in a “I don’t know what the fuck happened†gesture.

MIKEY

“IT’S TRUE, MAN, I FUCKING SLIPPED ON SOME PIDGEON SHIT, WHEN I TRIED TO COME OFF THAT FUCKING LEDGE!

I WAS ON MY WAY TO CALL YOU DUDE.â€

JONESY.

‘YOU SHITTIN ME?
YOU BEING STRAIGHT WITH ME?â€

MIKEY

“YEAH, FER REELS MAN.â€

END OF PAGE FOURTEEN.

PAGE FIFTHTEEN.

P-1: JONESY laughs out loud head thrown back. MIKEY looks annoyed.

JONESY

“laughterâ€.

MIKEY

“PRICK.â€

JONESY

“THAT IS SOME FUCKED UP SHIT MIKEY!â€

MIKEY

“WHATEVER.â€
P-2: MIKEY head cocked to the side, looks at JONESY, who’s still got a small chuckle left in him.

MIKEY

“SO, WHAT NOW JONES?
YOU SAYIN I SHOULD MOVE OUTTA THE CLOSET?â€

JONESY

“HELL YEA! THAT’S A START MIKE.â€

MIKEY

“WHAT ABOUT MY STUDIO?â€
WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO MY ART?
LLOYD’S GOT THE LIVING ROOM.â€

P-3: JONESY, turns his head to the side, and glares at MIKEY. MIKEY’S eye’s JONESY, with a wide-eyed look of question.

MIKEY

‘RIGHT?â€

P-4: JONESY, has his head tilted up, but still looks over at MIKEY, with a tight jaw.

JONESY

“I KICKED HIS FUNKY ASS TO THE CURB DOG.â€
HE’S OUTTA DERE!â€

MIKEY

“WHAAH!?
WHY JONESY?â€

P-6: Shot of the two side panel across the bottom of the page.

JONESY

“CUZ.â€

MIKEY

“DUDE, BUT IT WAS MY FAULT, NOT LLOYDS.â€

JONESY

‘HE SURE AS HELL DIDN’T STOP YOU NONE,
FUCK HIM!â€

MIKEY

“BUT…..â€

END OF PAGE FIFTHTEEN.

PAGE SIXTHTEEN.

P-1: Wide shot of the two across the top of the page as MIKEY bent forward in shock and protest towards JONESY, who also is bent forward, not backing down as he looks piss and disgusted talking about LLOYD, there now former roommate.

JONESY

“BUT, NOTHIN MIKEY.
LLOYD LET YO ASS GO UP THERE IN DA FIRST PLACE.â€

MIKE

“YEA, BUT IT WAS MY CHOICE MAN.â€

JONESY

“FUCK ALLA THAT SHIT. IF I WAS THERE…

P-2: On MIKEY now as he looks angry.

MIKEY

“YOU WHAT?!â€

P-3: On JONESY as he looks firm, determined.

JONESY

“I’D TRY TALKIN YOU OUTTA IT MIKE.
AND IF THAT DIDN’T WORK, I WOULD BEAT YOUR ASS UNCONCIOUS AND TIED YOU TO YOUR FUCKIN ART TABLE!â€
YOU DIG?!â€

P-4: On both as MIKEY holds up his bandaged arm to his face, and JONESY still leaned forward expecting more conflict or protest from MIKEY.

MIKEY

“SHIT, SAY IT DON’T SPRAY IT.â€

JONESY

“BITCH PLEEEEEZE, HEH.â€

END OF PAGE SIXTHTEEN.

PAGE SEVENTEEN.

P-1: FULL ON both. JONESY is sat back in the chair, MIKEY tired looking, runs his hand through his hair.

MIKEY

“HOW’D LLOYD TAKE IT?
WHEN YOU TOLD HIM
I MEAN?â€
JONESY

“HAH, HE TRIED TO GET BOLD!
HE TRIED TO SAY, HE CONTRIBUTED TO THE RENT AND SHIT.â€
I TOLD HIM HIS SERVICES WERE NO LONGER NEEDED.â€

P-2: Looking at JONESY suspicious, as if he knows his friend all too well.

MIKEY

“ANNNND, “

JONESY

“ANNNND, NOTHING.â€
I GAVE HIM HIS MONEY FOR THE MONTH THAT HE ALREADY PAID AND SLAPPED IT DOWN ON THE TABLE.â€

P-3:SHOT of JONESY, as he looks away from MIKEY, not making eye contact.

MIKEY

THAT WAS IT?
NO MORE PROTEST FROM LLOYD?â€

JONESY

“NOT MUCH. HE BITCHED ABOUT THE COUCH, THAT HE’S TAKING IT WITH HIM.
AND CALLED ME A THUGGED OUT FASCIST.â€

P-4:MIKEY, with his eyebrows raised, anticipating…

MIKEY

“AND WHAT DID YOU DO, JONESY?â€

P-5: FULL shot of them both as JONESY, still refusing to look at MIKEY directly, and MIKEY in shock, stunned.

JONESY

“I THREW THE MUTHAFUCKIN COUCH OFF THE BALCONY AND WATCHED IT HIT THE PAVEMENT
THAN I TOLD HIM NO CHARGE FOR THE HELP.â€

MIKEY

“?!â€
I, I, I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU-“
FUCKIN A JONESY!â€

P-6: JONESY looking at MIKEY, like ‘WHAT?†look on his face, not apologetic at all.

JONESY

‘FUCK HIM, I AIN’T WANNA CLEAN THOSE FUCKIN STAINS FROM HIS HIPPY ASS OUTTA THAT COUCH ANYWAYS!â€

MIKEY

“BUT, YOU DON’T THINK THAT WAS HARSH?â€

END OF PAGE SEVENTEEN.

PAGE EIGHTEEN.

P-1: FULL ON, both as JONESY, clamps MIKEY’S shoulder.

JONESY

“LETTIN MY MUTHAFUCKIN MANZ,
GO OUT ON THE ROOFTOP TO KILL HISSELF,
WAS FUCKING HARSH.â€
HE GOT OFF EASY, THE BITCH-ASS!â€

MIKEY

“OW, YOUR’E HURTING ME.â€
JONESY

SHIT, SORRY MY BAD.

P-2: JONESY rises to get up. MIKEY looks up at him, painfully not wanting to be alone right now.

JONESY

“MAN, WHY WE FUCKIN WASTIN TIME ABOUT
MOTHERFUCKIN LLOYD’S FUNKY ASS?
FUCK HIM!â€

MIKEY

“HEY, YOU LEAVIN?â€

JONESY

“NAW, PLAYA, I BROUGHT SOMETHIN FOR YA.â€

P-3: JONESY, now at the closet in the room disappears behind the open door. MIKEY, looks at the door, waiting.

JONESY

“HERE IT IS!â€

MIKEY

“HERE WHAT IS?â€

P-4: Shot from MIKEY’S p.o.v as JONESY produces what looks like to be an art portfolio. JONESY smiling, MIKEY’S surprised.

MIKEY

“M, MY, PORTFOLIO?â€

JONESY

“THAT’S RIGHT PARTNAH!â€
YOU GONNA BE IN HERE AWHILE,
MIGHT AS WELL GET BUSY.â€

P-5: JONESY puts the portfolio in MIKEY’S lap. This can be a full shot from a b.e.v.

MIKEY

“I DON’T KNOW, JONESY.â€

JONESY

“YEAH, YOU DO MIKE.
REMEMBER WHEN WE WAS IN SCHOOL?â€

P-6: CLOSE IN ON JONESY.

MIKEY

“WHAT?â€

JONESY

“WE USED TO BATTLE EACH OTHER IN ART CLASS ALL THE TIME, MAN.
WE USED TO DRAW OFF, SEE WHO COULD TOP WHO?â€

P-7: CLOSE IN ON A BEWILDERED MIKEY.

MIKEY

“YEAH, JONESY YOU STOPPED DRAWING
AND STARTED RAPPING.â€
YOU FOUND WHAT YOU WERE GOOD AT.â€

JONESY

“SHIIIIIT, HOMES.
I’M STILL GOOD AT DRAWIN,
BUT YOU’RE RIGHT, DRAWINS MORE
YOUR THING, MIKEY.â€
SO, DO YOUR THING.â€

P-8: SHOT OF MIKEY, looking down at the portfolio. JONESY, smiling at his friend.

MIKEY

“I DON’T KNOW JONESY.â€

JONESY

“FUCK ALL THAT, YOU OWE ME A NEW
SOUND SYSTEM cupcakeA!
BEST GET THE LEAD OUT AND ONTO THE PAPER!â€

END OF PAGE EIGHTEEN.

PAGE NINETEEN.

P-1: JONESY, holds up his hands and looks up as if he seeing a vision. MIKEY looks up too, but skeptical as to what JONESY sees.

JONESY

“HOMEY, THERE’S A WHOLE WORLD WAITIN FOR US TO CONQUER,
TO SHOW THE WAY. IT’S OUR MISSION TA BRING IT!
OUR, OUR, MOTHERFUCKIN CIVIC DUTY, YO!â€

MIKEY

“GEEZUS, YOU MAKE US SOUND LIKE SOME
LAME ASS SUPERHEROES JONES.â€

P-2: CLOSE ON JONESY, as he looks sideways, leering playfully at MIKEY.

JONESY

‘YEA?,
I GOT OUR CODENAMES EVEN, MAN!â€

P-3: CLOSE ON MIKEY, as he hold a hand to his head, like he’s embarrassed.

MIKEY

“MAN, DO I EVEN WANT TO KNOW?
WHAT’S YOUR SUPERHERO NAME FOOLIO?â€

P-4: JONESY stands up with his fists on his hips in classic superman pose.
He puffs out his chest. MIKEY holds the portfolio up to his chest and has his knees closer to himself as if withdrawn in the “mighty†prescence of SUPERJONESY.

JONESY

“JUST CALL ME, “THE TEN INCH WONDER OF THE WORLD!â€
I BRING THE HEAT, WHEN THE LADIES BE CRAVIN THE MEAT!
AHHH, SNAP!â€

MIKEY

“GAWD, SPARE ME PLEASE?
WHAT’S MY NAME THEN, MR. TEN INCHES OF BULL?â€

P-5: JONESY sat back down, points over to MIKEY, with a smirk.

JONESY

“YOU?
THAT’S EASY HOME-SLICE,
YOU IS “CAPTAIN, “PROCRASTINIGGA!â€
THE ABILITY TO TAKE ALL FUCKIN DAY LONG,
TO TIE HIS SHOES, HAH, HAH, HA!â€

MIKEY

‘ASSHOLE.â€

P-6: JONESY, in laughter, holding himself, laughing back in his chair.
MIKEY, holding up his pencil in a stabbing motion, towards JONESY.

JONESY

“HAH, HAH, PROCRASTINIGU DAWG!â€

MIKEY

“YER GONNA BE MINUS A FUCKIN CORNROLL, IF YA DON’T QUIT
PLAYIN CLAUDE JOYNER!â€

END OF PAGE NINETEEN.

PAGE TWENTY.

P-1: JONESY, stops lauging abruptly with an upturned face towards MIKEY.

JONESY

“DAWG, WHY YOU GOTTA BE LIKE THAT,
DON’T CALL ME CLAUDE.â€

P-2: MIKEY, looks confidently at JONESY, now that he gots him right where he wants him.

MIKEY
“WHY THE HELL NOT, CLAUDE, IT’S YOUR REAL NAME,
AIN’T IT? CLAUDE JOYNER?â€

JONESY

“YO, THEY GOT A ROOF ON TOP OF THIS HOSPITAL TOO, YOU KNOW?
I CAN MAKE YOU FLY JUST LIKE LLOYD’S FUCKIN COUCH HALF-cupcakeA.â€

P-3: FULL ON BOTH, as MIKEY waves away JONESY’S threat dismissively.

MIKEY

“BITCH PLEEEEEEEZE.â€

JONESY

“THAT’S COLD SHIT MIKE, THAT’S COLD.â€

P-4: MIKEY leans back in his bed. Tired all of a sudden.

MIKEY

“GEEZ, JONES, I’M FUCKIN DRAINED ALREADY.â€

JONESY

“FUCKIN MEDS HOMES, THEY FUCK YOU UP GOOD.â€

MIKEY

‘FER REELS.â€

P-5: JONESY gets up, smoothes his clothes out. MIKEY stays leaned back in his bed.

JONESY

“ANYWAYS DAWG, LET ME BOUNCE,
SO YOU CAN GET SOME REST.
I’LL BE IN TOMORROW, AND WE CAN TALK SOME MORE.â€

MIKEY

“COOL.
BRING ME A CHEESE BURGER, WILL YA?
I AIN’T GONNA EAT JELLO THE WHOLE TIME I’M HERE.â€

P-6: JONESY leans over to MIKEY and gently knocks his fist against MIKEY’S.

JONESY

“YOU GOT IT MY MAN.
CHEESEBURGER, NO ONIONS RIGHT?â€

MIKEY

“YEA.â€

JONESY

“HEY TOMORROW, I WANNA TALK TO YOU
BOUT’ GETTING A NEW PLACE.
WE SHOULD START OVER MIKE.â€

END OF PAGE TWENTY.

PAGE TWENTY-ONE

P-1: MIKEY looks at JONESY tiredly.

MIKEY

“WERE GONNA MOVE?â€

JONESY

“YEA, WHY NOT.
GET SOME REST, WELL TALK IT OVER
MANANA. COOL?â€

MIKEY

“COOLâ€.

P-2: JONESY is about to leave out the door when MIKEY calls out to him.

MIKEY

“YO, JONESY.
THANKS FOR SAVING MY LIFE HOMEY.â€

JONESY
“IT’S ALL GOOD, MIKEY,
IT’S ALL GOOD.â€

FINISHED.

BitchSlapSmitty

Here's that bad example i was talking about.

Insert finalego3hans1.jpg image here. Hunter asked that we have a word balloon coming from adult Hans’ mouth (the guy in the upper right hand corner) that reads "You want me to tell you my story?"
(Neb, can you please make the border around Hans – the guy in the corner – more defined? Solid black, or something. That will look better.)

The Eater.
By J.M. Hunter

I was not always the hero people have labeled me. Nor was I always this big of a man. There was another that people thought of as a hero. He had proven himself beyond all doubts, and trust me, there were many.
The Aviator was what I named him, on account that he could take to the sky and soar on the winds. I found the name in a book about birds no less. Often the children would chide him with that title, “Bird manâ€! I think he welcomed my name for him more and in return he called me “Hans the Hammer.†I didn’t think too keenly of that name at the time. It was a joke to him. He found it funny and knew I loathed having to hammer in stakes around the house.
He had done some work for my father, Brahm, as well. They became fast friends, and he’d often have dinner at our house. At that time not too many of the town preferred my flying friend’s company. They were always weary of the child of an elemental. (Why else could he fly?) His mother had obviously had relations with a sky elemental, or a faerie of some type. He was a half breed and therefore people tread lightly around him.
But my father was a wiser man. He was head foreman at the factory in the town over. That’s where all the men usually went to go to work. My father was the biggest man in town, literally. He held all the respect of the other workmen. And he made sure to tell them to keep their wives wagging tongues in their own household when it came to our half-blooded friend.
Later he would seek out on his own. Why continue to stay in a place where most everyone kept their distance? Though he often stayed abroad, he would visit us when he could. He’d stay at our home, and dazzle us with stories of his adventures in the outside world. He’d occupy most of our dinners with the tales of the battles he fought against the Fourth Order. He was a fighter for the good of the world. And the World Union often employed those with gifts of the extraordinaire, so half-breeds and Changelings weren’t uncommon in the brigade.
You’d think, wouldn’t you, that we would not still be fighting the Fourth Order? That they still exist? But yet I continue to fight them now and still they grow in power. I’d like to think that things would be different if he were still around to thwart them. If we could fight side by side? Especially now, if he could see me, I wonder what he would think? If he could see the Hans of today, not the scared little boy near tears on that day he left us, would he be proud? Ahh, but to talk about that day, we would have to cover the days before.
Once, when I was a little boy, on one night, I was the most frightened I’ve ever been. A long time ago my village was plagued with a series of rash, malevolent attacks. Children were being maimed and left for dead - soulless. I had friends, too, that were victims: children that I ran and played with in the market’s square in the days previous.
As the attacks became more frequent, we soon unearthed that they were brought upon by a restless spirit that had escaped its tomb, known as an “Eater.â€
What’s an Eater you ask? Well, an Eater was a grudged-filled monstrous thing that looked like a dead, wilted tree come to life. It had pointy quills that sprouted from the top of its head, spine, and backs of its arms. It also had razor sharp talons that could grow and shrink on a whim. It was said these talons were used to pierce deep into the bellies of its victims while it sucked out their souls. The most frightening feature of an Eater you would think would be those talons, but not so - it’s their eyes. Hollowed out they were, with no pupils or eye balls like you or me, but instead embers, like a furnace, burned brightly in its place. The mouth was constantly agape to unleash its eerie howl.
Once a person hears that horrid sound, they never forget what it sounds like. It stays with you, like an icy chill coating your bones, impossible to shrug off, like a second skin. Some have even had their hair turn white because of it. Victims that survive spend the rest of their days seeking out warmer places to melt away the memory of an encounter with an Eater and its shrill voice. But in reality how could anyone ever forget?
I never have. It was the day I lost my best friend, and the world lost one of its greatest heroes.
One night the Eater came for me.

I was in the living room clearing away the table; my mother had gone to bed early after feeling ill. I had opened up the pantry door and, suddenly, long arms shot out towards me from the deep shadows! I had fallen back as the talons tore my sleeve. (I hate to think what it would’ve felt like had those talons reached my body.) My father wasn’t so lucky. He heard me cry out and rushed down stairs. I’ve never seen a frightened look of alarm on my father’s face like that. It turned my blood cold. My father tried to save me from it. He tried to protect me from the Eater but it tore his flesh into ribbons and hurled him as if he was a bundle of cloths across the room.
My father was the biggest man I’ve ever known and he could handle himself very well. If not for the fact that my father accidentally knocked over the lamp, creating a bright flash, the Eater surely would’ve taken me that night.
My father barely survived the Eater’s attack. His friends, the other factory workers, were able to get to him but they had to get him to the evac site where he could receive medical attention. The evac site was where the rest of the town had fled to. There, other counties were sending their local police to aid us. Hopefully the Eater could be stopped from migrating to another town after it had it’s fill with our village.
Word had even spread that an Inspector from the city was coming to put together a task force in an effort to figure out how to stop the Eater. But everyone knew we needed something more… someone more than just an ordinary human. We needed a hero. We needed the Aviator, but would he come?
Of course he would, he was our friend. This was his home too. But if he was off across the world on another adventure how could he know we needed him? These were some of the random worries of the men as they made a brightly lit camp to keep the Eater away. It hated the light, this much we knew.
I had grown extremely fatigued with all the previous nights’ events and, as it was, nearly all children in town had trouble sleeping, too terrified of being the Eater’s latest meal.
I watched as the men carted my father off in a lightly-loaded wagon while I nestled deep into the back of another wagon, bringing the bundles of supplies closer around myself in a vain hope that should the Eater try to attack, he wouldn’t notice me sleeping in the back of the wagon.
The men hustled and bustled in a hurry, preparing for the early morning departure. Listening to the flames of the torches flicker, I soon fell to sleep.
I awoke, buried, bundles piled on top of me. They must have shifted during the ride and fallen over me. I must have really needed the sleep to not even stir during the wagon’s ride or feel them fall on top of me.
I pushed them aside and started to rise expecting to see the two smoke stacks billowing plumes of burnt coal into the air from the factory. I expected to see police and camps set up where my fellow townspeople would be awaiting the Aviator’s arrival, no doubt. Instead, when I stood up in the wagon, I found myself to be entirely alone!
I called out for anyone, afraid to leave the wagon, fearing the worst, that I had been abandoned. I waited to see if anyone would pop out of a nearby house with a bundle in their arms, hollering “Okay! That’s the last! We can go now!â€
Instead there was nothing except silence. There was not even the flickering of flames - all the torches had been taken! And all the wagons, save the one I was standing in, had departed. There was only a small mound of smoldering ash in a place where the bonfire used to be.
I bit into my lip, to keep it from quivering. I sniffled, and struggled to keep my eyes from watering.
I looked up to the sky; it was morning but there was no sun. The place was a dull grey, with only a hint of dark blue over the hills. If I placed my hand out in front of me over a shadowed area it all but disappeared.
Not good!
It was still too dark, and the fire was out. I struggled to be brave; after all I was Hans, son of Brahm, foreman and head smith to the town of Troslovokia!
I could not let this affect me… but inside I knew fear. It crept up the back of my spine and raised the small hairs on the back of my neck. It mounted when I got to the edge of the wagon, and knew I had to step down to get my bearings straight. If I was alone, there’d be no one to help me but myself, so I had to think fast. I found the courage to climb down from the wagon. I kept close to it, running my gloved hand along the side as I walked in a crouch.
The Eater usually only stalked its prey after dusk. Was it on its own time clock, or did it come out for easy victims? The rumors of it using the shadows as a means of transport made me scrutinize every dark area amassed. Hunter’s who claimed to have seen it in the woods said that it liked to bounce from dark area to dark area, as if it was a child playing a game.
Then my hand ran over a piece of splintered wood.
“Ow!â€
It pierced through the mitten my mother sewed for me. I plucked it out, more annoyed than anything, and looked to see where I got it from. It was a sliver of wood from a piece protruding out of the broken axle underneath the wagon. The wheel was missing!
As I rounded the corner of the wagon I was able to see the missing wheel. It was sitting there, broken and useless.
No wonder why the wagon was left behind!
And I, in my spineless stupidity, had buried myself into the cargo of the wagon. My fear of the Eater’s talons was why I was overlooked when the wagon broke down. I had camouflaged myself! Idiot!
The smoke had found its way to the clouds above further adding to the darkness.
No sunshine today, huh? I thought to myself as I sat near the wagon.
I had contemplated walking out of the town, trying my luck on the path towards the factory in the hopes someone else would be straggling behind and see me. Though, in reality, I knew it was too far of a walk, and I’d never make it by nightfall. I would have to pass by the mill, and that’s where the attacks originated from. I could be brave, but could I be that brave? I knew I could be foolish. I had already established that fact, hadn’t I?
So I set to task of collecting different scraps and small pieces of wood. I placed them near the pile of ash. If it was still smoldering, than it was still hot, I could use that to re-start the fire.
I was able to get a small flame and was careful not to accidentally put it out. There had been enough accidents today after all.
And that’s when I heard it, and I nearly fell into the fire in fright: the Eater’s howl!
It came from the edge of town. I tried not to think about it, and focused on building the fire bigger, brighter…
Damn! I was out of fuel.
I looked around, but there was nothing of use, just a big old broken clunky wheel…
The wheel!
I rushed over to it and squatted down burying my fingers in the gravel underneath it. I lifted with my legs like how my father taught me. The wheel was sure heavy but I got one side up a few inches. I started to push it towards the fire, determined that this would help!
The wheel move a few inches than stopped and the jerk of the wheel in non-motion caused me to drop it. I cursed, then squatted again and repeated my efforts to lift and move it.
It wouldn’t budge.
The gravel in the ground had mounted a barrier against the edge of the wheel. The more I pushed the more it dug into the ground.
The wind shifted and with it brought the Eater’s howl closer, louder.
My whole body started to shudder. My hands started to shake. The wind blew against my face, making my eyes water, or was that the despair?
I saw a flicker in the shadows out the corner of my eye and I turned around suddenly.
Nothing.
But I kept feeling as if something was moving toward me. Fast.
I looked at the small fire I built. It wasn’t even enough for a child to warm his hands on. I then looked over at the wheel. Stupid, stupid stubborn wheel! It had a will to lie there in the gravel, unmoving.
I had a will too. I wanted to live! But I was at a loss as what to do.
I was about to be the Eater’s latest victim. Its talons would tear out strips of my innards, and have my soul sucked from me as I was forced to look into those horrible, fiery eyes!
I could hide in the wagon, bury myself in the cargo and hope the Eater wouldn’t find me. It wasn’t like the wagon would be going anywhere now would it?
I saw another flicker in the shadows. I turned around and tried to pierce the dark areas of the alley where I thought the movement had come from. Suddenly, a howl erupted from it. So much for me hiding in the wagon now…
Lay down in the wagon amongst the abandoned cargo or die bloody and empty in the gravel? Which did I want to be my final resting place?
There was another howl. This one was close enough that I had to cover my ears, the shriek so loud it hurt!
The constant howls, three of them back to back, was more than I could bare. I kept my mittens close to my ears and squeezed my eyes tightly shut. I didn’t want to see it, nor did I want to hear it.
Then, just like that, it stopped. And there was a moment of silence.
Nothing.
I slowly opened my eyes…
It was in front of me. Well, not right in front of me, the shadows kept moving, but I could see those flickering eyes.
It noticed me too. Its body formed and moved half way out of the shadows. I could fully see the quills sprouting out from the top of its head, and they moved with the slightest gesture of the Eater’s head.
I was frozen unable to move as it shifted its head around, almost sniffing. It was as if it was making sure that all the other men were gone and that I was alone.
Then it fixed its gaze on me. Bright, fiery eyes narrowed as it tilted its head to one side, and I stood, holding my breath in.
The Eater took one long step, with a tree like leg, out of the shadows. It was almost comical the way it moved, almost like a cartoon. Then the other leg followed.
This stupid odd looking creature was to be my end?
My fear subsided and I started to grow angry. I thought about what it did to my father, and all of my friends. I summoned up the courage once more and uncovered my ears, cupping them to my mouth, I shouted “Hey you stupid, walking twig! What’s with the bad case of bed hair?! Did you find a nice bush in the woods to mate with?! How does it feel to be the result of a switch stuck in a thicket ugly?! I’m not afraid of you!â€
I kicked over the dwindling fire, spreading embers and broken pieces of wood to make my point. My idea was to make myself a more fearsome target, hoping to deter the Eater.
I picked up a larger piece of wood, still ablaze, and with my make-shift torch I ran back to the spot, facing the Eater. It had a perplexed look on what passed for its face. For a brief moment it honestly looked confused.
“Stupid thing!†I shouted once more, waving my torch around in the air. “See?! I’m not afraid of you, I am Hans the Hammer and I do not fear you!†I set my eyes on him with as fearsome of a stare as I could muster.
The Eater crouched in its spot and howled its reply. It stood up, stretching its long arms out and spreading its elongated talons. It started to walk towards me, growing; its legs seem to go on forever as it paced in my direction clicking its talons together as it hissed at me.
How many horrible sounds was this thing capable of?
Apparently, I wasn’t the only one with the notion of appearing to be a more fearsome adversary; I started to back up slowly. With each step I took my anger ebbed and my fear surmounted, and the Eater matched its steps with my own. It howled again and lashed out at a nearby barrel in its path, slicing it like butter.
My breath stuck in my throat, I turned to run but tripped over that damned wagon wheel. The torch flew from my hand and landed under the wagon itself. I quickly looked behind me, still on the ground, the Eater quickened its pace, sensing easy prey. I turned and looked around for any possible avenue of escape. There were alleyways, and shadows, all things that would not hide me from the Eater but enable it to thrive and feast on me.
I scuttled over to the wagon on my elbows and belly.
Get up Hans, get up and run you coward!
But I could not. I was too scared, frantic, as the Eater moved closer…
It howled with pleasure, clicking its talons even faster.
I crawled under the wagon, reaching for my torch. As if I already hadn’t made it easier for the Eater to find me and devour my soul.
I reached for the torch, but I realized that the flames from it had found their way to the belly of the wagon. They danced and flickered along the bottom of it. It was useless hiding under there now.
I grabbed the torch careful to avoid the flames, and then I stood up to face the Eater one last time. It was mere yards from me now and I looked at the wagon next to me. There were just bundles of cargo and a box of lantern oil I never noticed before. I hadn’t even searched the thing for a makeshift weapon.
Then it hit me: Lantern oil, cargo?
The wagon itself was already on fire. All things flammable! I was an idiot for the fourth time today!
I threw the torch into the wagon and took a few steps back. The Eater hurried its pace then crouched and vaulted high into the air. It could do that, I wondered, my eyes widened.
It spread its quill-covered arms and talons like an eagle in the air, and it was familiar, like it could glide like someone else I knew.
The fire was now enshrouding the wagon and the Eater began it’s descent towards me. Howling mad, it aimed it’s talons towards my throat. I turned away and ducked, squeezing my eyes shut for the umpteenth time, awaiting those impending talons to sink into me. Then I heard a sizzling sound followed by a loud BOOM! And my body lifted from the ground.
Was I being thrown into the air? Or had the Eater picked me up?
I had my answer when I landed across the camp rolling and rolling till I finally came to a stop near the street sign. I struggled to look up, the wagon, now an inferno, collapsed, and burned brightly.
I heard quickened, painful howling, and shrieking as I saw the Eater on top of the wagon ablaze. It vaulted off of the wagon and into the air like a fireball twirling around, helpless as the flames tore through its body.
Suddenly, it caught a draft of wind and flew back towards the old mill.
Howling in its rage, I knew it wasn’t dead. It’d be back, and this time with an ever increasing thirst for revenge.
I made my way back towards the wagon. I would be safe for how ever long this wagon would burn. Would it take me through the night? Would I be alright until morning, until someone realized I was still here?
I didn’t know and wondered if I, Hans the Hammer, son of Brahm, foreman of Troslovokia, and friend of the Aviator would take his small comfort of a small victory over a monster with me alone to my grave.

To be continued in part two. “Enter the Aviator!â€

Place the image aviatorbecomeseater.jpg here.

I don't like how this turned out, looking back at this, i could either try and rewrite it, or cut it up and use it as a script for a comic.

The Question

Eternal
EDIT: This is re: the comic script.

I'd have to see how this would turn out in comic format before I offer too many critical points -- but there's one fairly major thing I see wrong with this: it needs more conflict. And you have a perfect opening for conflict with the first two characters you introduce -- Lloyd and Mikey are practically as different as night and day. Lloyd is the Yang to Mikey's Yin; put another way, Lloyd is the bright, noisy, active flip-side to Mikey's dark, sullen, stiff-necked persona. You could throw all kinds of conflict in between those two and hook the reader right up front, then build the conflict and gradually shift it to the main events of the story, as they come into play, from there.

BitchSlapSmitty

The Question said:
EDIT: This is re: the comic script.

I'd have to see how this would turn out in comic format before I offer too many critical points -- but there's one fairly major thing I see wrong with this: it needs more conflict. And you have a perfect opening for conflict with the first two characters you introduce -- Lloyd and Mikey are practically as different as night and day. Lloyd is the Yang to Mikey's Yin; put another way, Lloyd is the bright, noisy, active flip-side to Mikey's dark, sullen, stiff-necked persona. You could throw all kinds of conflict in between those two and hook the reader right up front, then build the conflict and gradually shift it to the main events of the story, as they come into play, from there.

There are three other parts to it, that i haven't finished yet. But ultimately it's a buddy story with Jonesy/Mikey. LLoyd makes another appearance in the 3rd act. But the story takes the two other guys up untill marriage and kids even.

I had to put it on the back burner though. And at the time, i didn't feel my art could pull shit off, then i got better at drawing.

BitchSlapSmitty

Page 1.

Panel one: Int. Inside in an electronics store, its dark and there are two figures in the middle of the store. Both are ethnic one black no older than 13 years old, his name’s JAMAL, the other one older ethnic as well, named RIQUE, (pronounced Ricky) is a thuggish looking Latino man. The kid’s holding a DVD unplugged. The older guy is trying to pry something open with a crow bar, it’s a safe. He’s struggling and getting pissed off at his failed efforts while the kid looks on. They’re looting the place.

Rique
: “(INSERT SOME CURSE IN SPANISH), DAMN THING WON’T OPEN!â€

Jamal:
“YO, RIQUE FORGET ABOUT THE SAFE MAN, PEEP ALL THIS STUFF DAWG!â€

Rique
“HELL NA, SON, I’M GONNA GET THAT CASH! ONE WAY…â€

Panel two: RIQUE pulls out a gun, silver something thuggish

Rique
“OR THE OTHER!.â€

Jamal.
: “WHAT THE FU-!â€

Rique

: “JAMAL, WHY YOU LOOKIN STUPID SON. QUIT BEING A BITCH AND GO OUTSIDE, HOLLA IF ANYONE ROLLS UP.â€

PANEL 3: JAMAL, just sits there staring at the gun, wide eyed as RIQUE starts to get annoyed.

Jamal:
“BUT...â€

PANEL 4: RIQUE, slaps JAMAL upside the back of his head hard with the other hand.

Rique:
“BE LIKE NIKE, NEGRO AND JUST DO IT FOOL!â€

Jamal
: “OWWW!
AIGHT, AIGHT! I’M GOIN!â€

PANEL 5: JAMAL walks away with the DVD still in hand through the door w/ the lock broken. RIQUE aims his gun at the safe about to do something even more stupid. He’s cursing to himself. He tends to talk out loud a lot.

Rique
“FOOL GONNA QUESTION ME, RIQUE?
LIKE I GOT ALL NIGHT TA WAIT FOR THE MOTHER FUCKIN POLICE!â€

PANEL 6: Out of the dark, behind RIQUE we see the CYNIC appear, scary as fuck man, we only see from his chest up and the Mask and blonde hair gleaming in the dark. Make it real spooky looking.

Cynic
: “WHY WAIT?â€

PANEL 7: Shot of RIQUE alarmed, holding his gun at the CYNIC. RIQUE’S scared shitless.

Rique:
“HOLY SHIT DAWG!â€

Rique
“YO, WHO THE F**K DO YOU THINK YOU ROLLIN UP ON HOMES?!

Cynic
“NO WAIT, LET ME GUESS
HMM, YOU AIN’T J-LO?
IS IT RICKY THE RABBIT?â€

Rique
WHAT?!
THINK YOU’RE BATDUDE OR SOMETHING, I’LL F**CKING SMOKE YOU YO! YOU KNOW WHO YOU MESSIN WITH?!HUH?! WHAT YOU GOT ON THIS?!

(Yea, the whole dialogue balloon has to have all of that in it, the guys scared so much he’s putting on a front and rambling useless shit.) Make sure he’s all posing and shit, that way it looks funny. And he says that last line to indicate the gun in his hand turned sideways.

End of page 1.

PAGE 2: I think you’ll like this panel.

PANEL 1: A panel across the top of the page as JAMAL stands watches outside w/ DVD in hand, the window is shattered into a million pieces as RIQUE’S body flies through courtesy of THE CYNIC.

SFX:
KERAASSHHH!

Jamal
OH SNAP!

PANEL 2: Close on JAMAL as he looks down at a move less RIQUE, who can only groan to indicate he’s still breathing.

Jamal:
“RIQ, YOU ALIVE MAN?â€

PANEL 3: A crunchy sound alerts JAMAL, who looks over his shoulder alarmed.

SFX:
“crkkrrkâ€.

Jamal:
“AWW DAMN.â€

PANELS 4-5: Small vertical panels of the CYNIC’S boot crushing glass under foot as he steps closer and closer to JAMAL.

SFX:
“crkkrrkâ€.

Cynic:
“ALLA THAT RUNNIN HIS MOUTH, MUST’VE MADE RICKY THE WIDDLE WABBIT TOO TIRED.

Cynic:
“SO I PUT HIM DOWN FOR A NAP.

SFX
“crkkrrkâ€.

Cynic
“WHAT BOUT’ YOU? YOU NEED A TIME OUT TOO?â€

PANEL 6: Close on JAMAL’S face, terrified.

Jamal:
“NAH MAN, THEY MADE YOU GHOST.
YOU SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD DUDE!â€

PANEL 7: THE CYNIC’S boot shifts slightly as this comment as he scratches some glass under boot.

SFX:
“crrkk-skrrrtch!â€

The Cynic
“HMM?â€

End of page 2.

PAGE 3.

PANEL 1: Full shot of THE CYNIC, as he looms over JAMAL, menacing, dark and angry, his body fills up the panel, as we see JAMAL’S frail little body clutching the DVD player, (yea I changed it to a DVD player.), tightly in fear.

Cynic:
“DO I LOOK DEAD TO YOU BOY?!â€

Jamal:
“AHH SHIIIIT!â€

PANEL 2: Full shot looking over THE CYNIC’S shoulder as, JAMAL, holds up the DVD player as a make shift defense weapon, still wide-eyed fright on his face.

Jamal:
“STAY BACK DAWG!

I’M WARNING YOU!â€

The Cynic
“WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO KID TRY AND TAKE ME OUT WITH A DVD PLAYER?

YOU’RE BETTER OFF JUST THROWING IT, AND PRAYING YOU GET LUCKY OR SOMETHING.â€

PANEL 3: JAMAL hurls the DVD player at THE CYNIC with all his might.

Jamal:
“UHHH!â€

PANEL 4: THE CYNIC in pure, utter disbelief catches the thing in one hand effortlessly.

The Cynic:
“WHAT THE FU-YOU DUMB PUNK-ASS LIL-!â€

PANEL 5: THE CYNIC rolls up on JAMAL and backs him against the brick wall across the street. He’s holding the DVD player in one handing waving it angrily at JAMAL, while his other hand is close to JAMAL’S face fingers gnarled. JAMAL’S backed up, with his face turned to the side, which would be us the viewer, he’s got his eyes squinted so tightly that post it notes could barely fit. He’s sweating lots.

The Cynic:
“I DIDN’T MEAN FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY DO IT!

AIN’T YOU GOT ANY SENSE IN THAT FAT FOREHEAD OF YOURS BOY?!â€

Jamal:
“GEEZUS DON’T KILL ME MAN!
I’LL STICK W/ VHS, SWEAR!
I PUT THAT ON!â€

PANEL 6: THE CYNIC, frustrated shakes his head and sighs as JAMAL continues to plead in fear.

Jamal:
“I PUT THAT ON DAWG, I’LL GO TO MY GRANMA MA’S HOUSE AND WATCH T.V.! I’LL TAKE OUT THE TRASH, DO THE DISHES. I’LL THROW AWAY THE PLAYBOYS! I’LL ONLY READ COMICS MAN!â€

The Cynic:
“SIGH.â€

PANEL 7: THE CYNIC, bewildered, tosses the DVD player over his shoulder with one hand perched on the wall above JAM, as JAMAL makes like CYNIC’S a priest and its confession.

Jamal:
“I’LL LEAVE IT ALONE MAN, I, I, WONT TOUCH IT EVER, JUST TO GO PEE DAWG, I’LL SIT DOWN WHEN I PEE EVEN!â€

PANEL 8: CYNIC, whispers in JAMAL’S ear.

The Cynic:
“RUN.
NOW.â€

End of page 3.

Page 4.

something i'm working on now.

The Question

Eternal
Pretty interesting. Don't take this the wrong way, but this Cynic guy comes off a bit like an inner-city version of The Punisher. :)

BitchSlapSmitty

The Question said:
Pretty interesting. Don't take this the wrong way, but this Cynic guy comes off a bit like an inner-city version of The Punisher. :)

Yea, but he goes through transformations as well. We wanted him to connect w/ readers who know the archetypes that already have taken comic form i.e. batman, the punisher, superman, etc. Then we wanted to navigate them from what they expect and take them on a new journey.

So, alot of it is intentional wink, wink.

BitchSlapSmitty

Bumped for menty.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'm being called on to get my ass in gear around the house so I only had a chance to read the first story but man, that was tight. Really tight. Descriptions, dialogue, atmosphere. Everything gelled and worked. I really had a mental image of what was going on and quickly got involved in the story.

I really liked the way you made it seem like something terrible was happening and it was only the bus. That really worked and illicited a smile. I want to read the rest now, can't leave us in the lurch with that!

I will definitly get to reading your other stuff, you're a very good writer. Kudos.

BitchSlapSmitty

Thanks man.