Why has Ian Hislop become such a knob?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I mean, he was always a bit of a knob, but at least he was a likable one. He just goes on long rants and screw his face up now.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I know exactly what you mean. I was watching tonight and he just comes over as a complete prick. His vitriol towards Gordon Brown and the rest of Labour is just OTT and often mean spirited. I mean, it's fine when they rag on EVERYBODY or blatantly crazy lunatics but he's clearly biased. I thought that the comedian on Merton's team was great, especially when he shut Hislop and that nauseating bitch up when they started ranting about Gordon Brown staying in No. 10 whilst the deal was being done.

CaptainWacky

It's not even that he's pro-Tory (okay it is that a bit) but that he's just unfunny and nasty now. And the Brown bashing segment went on way too long (he's already gone guys!)

And Merton just seems bored most of the time now. :(

whisky

Boobie inspector
They should bring back Angus Deeton, if only for a one off.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I haven't seen it yet, but despite whatever allegiances Hislop might have, I tend to find he rails against all parties equally; accusing the Lib Dems of being pointless and... uh, never likely to gain power... the Tories of being slimy and elitist and Labour of being incompetent and tired. HOWEVER, I do find he goes on a bit too long whoever he's bitching about. He tends to make a clever, slightly subtle and ironic statement, which I laugh at, but then continues with it long after it's stopped being funny or informative. He just ends up looking very self serving and pompous.

And yeah, Paul Merton's spark seems to have gone lately. Maybe he turned the telly on and saw one of those awful Direct Line adverts? He doesn't get much of a look in anymore, which is a shame because he is still really funny when he speaks.

CaptainWacky

Well when they're talking about huge political changes, Merton isn't really going to have much to say. He's best when the have an idiot guest or host to rip the piss out of. And in travel shows.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
To be honest, he never has been any different. He used to keep that off of Have I Got News For You, but he's always been on Question Time and Newsnight and has always been that way inclined. I love The Private Eye, but thankfully it has many, many contributors, and doesn't go for the blunt end that the Editor chooses sometimes.

Having said that, the guy who was a failure at school, Paul Merton, frequently trounces the publicly schooled Hislop when it comes down to wits on HIGNFY - still the best 'game' show out there today.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I have always been a huge fan of HIGNFY. It's a staple in my house. And I am usually a fan of Hislop but his bias gets in the way of his own talent. He should of got the hint when he bigged up the new Government to the crowd and he was greeted with silence.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Here it is for those who missed it. Aren't I helpful :)

[YOUTUBE]eF4TEh7ZRuw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Qf9vrsZ34n4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PsIwUFkB574[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_bEczi1E1GY[/YOUTUBE]

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Having watched yesterday's ep now I don't see anything wrong with Hislop in it. He certainly didn't go into any of his usual long-winded rants, anyway. The woman from the Express was annoying (as you'd expect from someone from that garbage "news"paper), but I loved Chris Addison's rebuttals of her lame arguments. He articulated exactly what's been pissing me off about the right wing media these last few days.