XM or Sirius Satellite Radio???

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
We're going to get my dad Satellite radio for Christmas and I've done a little research and decided that Sirius is the best deal but I want to know from people who have either.

Speak up!

Mandi

Well, we have XM, and it's good about not skipping out, especially out in the boonies. I don't know anyone who has Sirius tho.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
I get a selection of Sirius stations through DishNetwork. So far, I've really enjoyed it. One thing I've found impressive is their DJs. I recognize some big names, particularly from the L.A. area. For example, their 80s retro station has some big names from the heyday of KROQ, and the jazz station also has DJs whose names I recognize, both from KLON 88.1 there in SoCal and others from both the Chicago and New York markets.

The jazz station also appears to have close ties with Blue Note records, so they will occasionally broadcast a good concert or debute something that Blue Notes has found in the vaults.

So if any of that is important to you, it's something to take into consideration.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Jazz, sports radio and talk radio are all my dad listen to so I want to make sure I can get Rush, Hannity, and the sports talk shows as well as commercialess jazz and as many stations as possible. My dad has a CD player but he doesn't need to fool with that while he's on the road. Anymore insight No.6?

Thank you for your input Miranda, XM is just so damn expensive.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
I never listen to talk radio, and I'm not sure whether or not I get those stations via the Dish.

All I can say is that the jazz station is excellent, and that I also get a second jazz station that's reserved for special events--concert broadcasts, etc.

There's also a station dedicated to swing, which I listen to on occasion, and there are two other jazz stations that are okay. One tends to get more fusion/new agey than I like, and the contemporary jazz station varies in quality (as does contemporary jazz). I suspect there are more jazz stations when you buy the fill Sirius line-up, which we haven't done. I think we get something like 100 channels now, but I've only added about 40 of them to my custom TV guide.

There are, however, no commercials. The DJs break in simply to say a few things about the songs after 5-6 have played, and since the DJs on the jazz station actually KNEW the people whose records they're spinning. So the DJ breaks are educational.

Oh, and occasionally an actual artist will join the DJ in the studio, which can be really interesting.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
We had Sirius in a Chrysler Pacifica we rented this past March. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. One of the best features is one of the most obvious: you don't lost stations no matter how far you travel. We went from Tampa to St. Pete and on to Clearwater Beach with no loss of signal power. I'm thinking about getting Sirius for my Pathfinder, but honestly I don't have a long commute or anything.

I think after we have a second kid, when we're forced (by lack of money and cranky kids) to drive to vacation spots, I'll get Sat radio.