"You gonna get another job?"...

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
Sounds like the guy is either a "dog person" who at least thinks he knows how a dog is going to behave, or he's an idiot who deserves to get bit. Either way, could be trouble for you.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh my god, I'm tired. As I get older, I worry about more things and things working out in the end do not provide any relief. The Dog got a groundhog on her morning patrol. So an hour walk consisted of 2 minutes of running 2 minutes of watching her finish the thing off, and then 45+ minutes of watching her carry it around to various places. During this time, my friend from Wisconsin called up because the cat with the broken back that I pet sitted for him last year while he took his daughter to Space Camp had died. Just about as we're wrapping up the phone call, The Dog decided it was time to hide the body, crossed the creek and ducked into some bushes where she's hid another groundhog. And in the time it took to say "OK. Gotta go, sorry about the cat" and find a place where I could get into the woods, she was gone.

Little triangular valley of trees and brush bordered by the creek on one side, a dead-end service road on the other side...and the very busy road that crosses the creek that my house is on the other side from. So I spent probably a good 20 minutes beating brush, calling and using my dog whistle. Eventually I had to consider the possibility that she'd gone home on her own so I start heading back, still blowing the whistle until I get to the point where I think the risk of her getting run over is higher than the risk of her being lost. As this is happening, the FedEx van is slowing down. I expect it has some boots I ordered. Sure enough it stops at my place. Remembering the AC guy who got bit yesterday I'm making my way there and sure enough, the FedEx lady turns back as she's halfway back to the van after dropping off the box. And sure enough, The Dog is at the house. Happily, she was very sweet and polite with the FedEx lady, who remembered me from my old place--and remembered my old dog. Eventually I extracted myself from that conversation and let her get on her way to find The Dog had pushed open the gate (that I leave unlatched when we walk) and brought her trophy back here). Went back to get the trash can (today is also trash day) and my package and try to get the day back on track.

Once The Dog is sorted out (she doesn't want to come in yet because she's got to figure out what she's doing with her trophy) and The Cat (happily) does not want to come out, I open my package. Weird packaging for boots. Wait, this isn't boots. It's some kind of padded nylon case. How did they manage to screw up the order?! Oh. No. It's the car seat covers I ordered but were supposed to be on backorder for 4-8 weeks. Well, no time to put them on right now. But now I've got another weekend project. (My driver's seat is so worn that the upholstery has torn in a couple spots so I finally tracked down OEM fit seat covers. They don't have the Mustang logos on the seat fabric, but they should be good enough for my old girl.) Now I gotta decide if I want to sit here with a cat on my lap, have lunch, or try to coax The Dog into the house as I get ready to leave for work in about 2 1/2 hours.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
[DISCLAIMER: This is at least a little icky and gruesome] OK. I realize that this is the life I've made for myself. Still... Worked tonight. Got home. The Dog was relatively calm so I let her Out. I used to walk around with her but now that The Cat wants to be Out too, I let The Cat Out and go make myself a cocktail to enjoy whilst supervising this whole sideshow. Got Out and The Dog was nowhere to be seen. Tried not to worry but by the time I was finishing up my cocktail with still no sign of her, I started to worry. Popped inside for a flashlight and a sidearm and started to look for her. Looked all over. No sign of her. Turned out she'd been about 8' away. She was in a corner formed by the deck and the house, next to the fence, with her dead groundhog in front of her. I tried to coax her that it was time to come In and she just stared at me like I was from another planet. While dealing with this I had gotten The Cat back In but now he is Out again. So that's where we stand.

Obviously, The Cat has to come In. The Dog probably should too. But there is a case to be made for just letting her sit out there and enjoy her trophy. I dunno. Of course tomorrow I'm going to have to bury it. Which means I'm going to have to figure out where to bury it. I could just throw it in the trash but today was Trash Day and I don't want to think about what a dead groundhog is going to look/smell like after a week in a trash can in 90 degree heat.

Poor girl. She know she's supposed to kill groundhogs. But with domestication she doesn't know what to do with them once she's killed them. I guess I could get online to see if there are any groundhog recipes but really nothing about that sounds appealing to me in any way. Of course this is my own doing. I could'a got a lazy stupid Chihuahua. Or just not got a dog. But nooooo....

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I decided to bring her in. First I tried reasoning with her to no avail. Then I corralled The Cat and chucked him in the house and had to physically pick her up and carry her in the house. Now here's where having some understanding of a dog's brain comes in handy (in retrospect): At first she wanted to go back out the door but, outside of stimulus, dogs only remember something for about 5 seconds. So once she forgot about the groundhog she needed some intense petting and loving. Then she moved to play-fighting with The Cat. That seemed to be getting a bit much so I broke that up just now and we'll see where things go from there.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Yeah, no. I don't know what I was saying. I thought I had her about calmed down and next thing I know, she hops up and I find her at the back door going "I CAN GO OUT?!" So she's back out there in Crazy Land while I finish unwinding in here and then get to take another shot at getting her wound down. :/

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, and the funny thing was how intensely possessive The Dog got of her dead groundhog. While I was trying to reason with her, The Cat came over to see what was going on and any time he got within a foot of her trophy, she'd growl like a demon from hell. Meanwhile The Cat didn't give a fuck and was totally oblivious to the dead groundhog.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I hate humans so god-damned much. Today's The Dog's obedience class. Other side of town right at rush hour. No AC. Black dog. High 80s. OK. Should be do-able. EXCEPT! Someone managed to wreck and shut down a 2 mile stretch of freeway I need to drive on 2/3 of the way to the class. Found this out by the 2 cop cars blocking the ramp to that freeway. Eventually extracted and got moving again. Of course without a human navigator I had no way what was going on, I still had some time, and I'm stubborn that way, so I started trying one of the about 5 alternate routes over secondary roads that would get me where I wanted to go.

You see where this is going, right? Everyone else that would ordinarily take the interstate was also scrambling to get on those 40mph with stoplights secondary roads too so it would've been impossible to do anything but crawl along in the sun and the now-92 degree heat. Ultimately I had to scrub the idea and go home, lashing through traffic as quickly as I could manage while The Dog panted more and more by the minute.

Made it home. The Dog seems OK. Turned the AC cooler. Realized the entire back of my shirt was soaked. Got online to find out about the wreck and now here we are. Too hot to walk The Dog until around 9pm (after this debacle). I've got some indoor chores I could do--or maybe attempt to start on the lawn. But I'm fried so I'll probably just fuck off instead. It's exhausting how the simplest plan can be utterly fucked by the reality that someone, somewhere could do something mind-bogglingly stupid. Shit, now I don't even know if I have the heart to try to get The Dog in the car again after this shit-show. She doesn't like to get in the car and after today I can't blame her.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
On the plus side, he only inconvenienced a bunch of people and didn't take anyone with him and won't do it again. Saw it on the news. Fatal 1 car (commercial truck, actually). Right where I needed to exit. Shit, I didn't even need to actually get on that freeway--just stay in the on-ramp lane until it became the off-ramp lane at the next exit.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ennui and time-wasting--among other things. Friday afternoon. Got it off. Again. Parts shortages, so they've been shutting down the assembly line alternating weeks. We'll have the first week in August off too. Could be getting productive. Although stocks are dropping faster than housing prices--and interest is rising--so there aren't any properties that really meet my investing criteria. Could work on some chores around the house. Only it is 94 degrees. Again. And tomorrow it will be 94 degrees. Again. Just like it has been and will be this entire summer. So I'm not terribly excited to be cleaning out a shed, moving dirt, or repairing a leaky tin roof. Or painting a shed. I could do some minor interior work I've been procrastinating on. But it doesn't seem terribly fun. I'd have to do some touch-up plaster work, then wash some brushes, and touch-up paint. Maybe I could work on the wiring down in the basement. Or I could do some bookkeeping. All of it seems about as fun and productive as getting a root canal. It's got to happen sometime, but it won't create any exciting results and it can wait at least a bit. Well, I guess...

[EDIT: But first some Solitaire. And I realize I should do some stretching too, but that also isn't very much fun.]

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I don't know how much sense this will make. Or how hypocritical it will sound, or what it implies on my professed Christian faith, but showing kindness or compassion to your enemies is a weak and stupid mistake. Because, in my experience, the kind of people that cross me are not the kind of people who see kindness or forgiveness as a reason to reciprocate--they see it as weakness and despise and resent it and will use it to destroy you the first chance they get.

I see it time and time again: "Oh, we should give them another chance." or "That's too mean and heartless." Think about what they'd do if the roles were reversed. They'd crush you the first chance they got. I've seen that time and time again too. I've got a small cat right now; a kitten a little over 3 months old. He seems to have outgrown it, but he was going through a phase where he'd literally get up in my face in the morning, making it impossible for me to sleep. I took a few pages from my dog. When he's pissing her off, she growls at him. If he ignores it, she barks and snaps at him. This worked sometimes. But one morning he wouldn't be dissuaded. Then I thought about my dog killing groundhogs: She caught one from above, over the shoulders and neck. He couldn't bite her from there and he couldn't even claw at her. Most dogs would do the head shake at that point to try and disorient the prey and/or break its spine, but she must've decided he was too big and her grip was too tenuous, so she just held him, applying jaw pressure while he weakened. So I grabbed The Cat like that: Latched onto his shoulderblades from above so he couldn't bite or claw me. Didn't hurt him. Just held him so he couldn't bother me. After he'd settle down and stop struggling, I'd let him go. And he'd immediately attack my face/hand again. So I'd grab him again. Lather, rinse, repeat. This cycle probably happened at least a half dozen times. Now obviously I wasn't about to crush and destroy my cat, but the point stands: Showing him I was dominant and had control did not make him respect me and leave me alone. It just redoubled his efforts to be a dick to me. And there are people like that. And since I don't care about them as much as I care about my cat (who may eventually become not a dick) the solution is to just crush and destroy them the first time you get a chance and move on to try to find someone who isn't a dick.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Just a procrastinating from work post.

First off, let me say that once you get in the habit of a post-lunch nap, it is awful hard to skip it. And it is awful easy to extend the length of the nap when you have a dog snuggled up on one side and a cat snuggled up on the other--and nothing particularly fun planned for the afternoon.

Second is a fascination for me on how something that I once diligently did will suddenly become intolerable. Yes, working for a living falls in that category but it is more the voluntary, self-discipline things. And part of it is: did things change or did I? And the answer is: a bit of both. To wit:

I used to read all my e-mails. I mean, at least open and scan over them. But I got behind when my Mom got sick and when I got back I just wound up deleting a bunch of the junk--ostensibly to "get caught up" but I never went back to opening all e-mails. Or even reading my e-mail every day. Part of this is how much junk I get. I mentioned to a friend some item that I'd owned in the 1990s that got broke by a roommate and he replied that he bet I could find one online. As it turned out, Macy's actually carried them through their online store. I got one. I also get 3 e-mails a day from Macy's. And this is not uncommon. There's no cost to someone sending you junk so they do. But even the value of existing e-mails has gone down. Everyone wants you to click-through to visit their site. Orbitz used to send e-mails that listed air-fairs for cities I'd gone to in the past. Now they still send several e-mails a week, but they contain absolutely zero information. Just "Find out all the great rates you can get by clicking Orbitz.com!" LinkedIn... You used to have to know someone to add them to your network on LinkedIn. If you didn't know them, you had to work through the 7 degrees of LinkedIn separation to add them to your network--and it wasn't just "you and Brad Johnson both know Matt Smith." You had to PM Matt and get him to agree to recommend you to Brad. You were admonished to not add someone to your network unless you knew them and they were valuable to you. Now a few times a week LinkedIn sends e-mails of "Hey, I bet you'd like to meet Rajanweeshesh Peewatanabani, an online marketer from Bangalore."

Bookkeeping. Bookkeeping is what this post is really about. The business bookkeeping on QuickBooks is relatively new. And my version of QuickBooks isn't as familiar as the version of Microsoft Money (both are old as hell) that I use for my personal bookeeping. But once I got it set up, it wasn't too bad. Only now I've added a property manager (mid April) and it's taken me until now to really start to get the hang of their reports. The thing that wasn't registering in my brain was that I now had a cash account with them that was buffering everything. So they'd tell me I made $X in April but I didn't get a check (direct deposit, actually). Then in June they said I made $Y dollars but I got a check for a different amount (probably $X dollars). It took until last week to really get my arms around how this all worked--and understand how to capture it in my bookkeeping. So now I get to go back through 3 months of financial reports and transcribe them into my software--once I've figrured out how to set up the new account and recategorized a few entries that I know I did wrong. And I just think "boy it would be nicer to just nap with The Dog and Cat.

But I guess knowing how much money I have and getting to where I'm making enough is what allows me to nap with The Dog and Cat and no longer punch a time clock, so I guess I'd best get to it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
1 down, 2 to go (I just realized I don't have a July statement yet because we're still in July).

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The Dog apparently bought into her own hype too much. On the morning walk she bagged a groundhog. I wanted to do a post about it but I was too hungry and behind schedule (she spotted him at about the halfway point of the walk and fighting a groundhog takes some time) so I didn't. Long story short, her finishing style is very different from Old Dog. Groundhogs seem to run downhill when they're in close contact with a predator. Since we usually encounter them by streams and Old Dog was a water dog, she'd just get them into the stream where they couldn't maneuver as well and drown them. New Dog got ahold of her quarry right by the stream but instead she carried him up all the way up the bank to an open spot where he had no place to escape to and wore him down there. I feel a bit bad for the buggers but they're really destructive nuisances. Besides, according to Wiki groundhogs top 3 predators are dogs, foxes, and humans. Since I haven't killed a groundhog, my dogs wind up making up the imbalance.

I'd also meant to think a bit on how much more compassionate we've become over the years. When I was little we had groundhogs in our yard (actually probably gophers, but similar result). My parents would close up all the holes but 2 and then put a plastic bread bag over 1 and stick the garden hose in the other. Either the gopher died or it ran into the bag and got whacked brainless with a shovel. It was great sport. Of course my parents were also older and grew up on farms, so maybe even this wasn't normal.

Anyway, on to the afternoon walk. The day was a bit behind schedule but still salvageable. Time to walk The Dog and then off for much needed groceries. (They were out of Kitten Chow last week and I ran out Saturday morning.) It was technically time to turn around to go home, but I decided to let her walk a bit farther. She alerted and took off in pursuit. As I was walking over I heard barking that didn't sound like any usual vocalizations. Got there and she was acting kind of disoriented and standing next to a hole. Then she started licking a front paw and I saw it was bleeding pretty badly. Now dogs are generally like Wolverine--if they get cut or bit the blood just stops pretty quickly. But this wasn't. So I whipped out a handkerchief and did a quick bandage on it. Gave her a quick once-over and she was banged up in a few other spots. (She also had a nasty raw patch on the pad of her other foot that I didn't notice until much later. I think she must've tried to follow a big old groundhog down his hole and got taught a hard lesson on caution.) At this point she really wasn't able to walk. So I got to carry a 50# dog for what would be a 15-20 minute walk.

Made it home but now we both had bloody patches at random places because her paw had soaked through the bandage. Luckily, after I got her set down with some water and got The Cat inside (he'd wanted to fuck around under the porch while we were on our walk and he is getting big enough that I decided to risk it) I stopped to look up emergency hospitals, because apparently the one I used to take her to is no longer 24/7. By the time I found a vet and managed to make a map with arms that were barely working after carrying a dog so far, I got back out. Whe'd gotten her bandage off so I put it back on and went inside and got one of the baby socks I used for paw injuries with the Old Dog. When she realized I was getting the car she went under the deck and I wound up having to drag her out by her collar. By the time we got to the vet and the triage person got out to have a look at her paw the sock and the bandage had fallen off and she wasn't bleeding. In fact the vet tech couldn't find any sign of the wound.

So last night she slept on my bed and I slept on the guest bed. I wound up sleeping until 9:40 or so. I have this rule that, if I don't have to be somewhere and I'm still having dreams I'll keep hitting the snooze alarm. And I had lots of dreams this morning. Don't remember them, but such is life. Anyway, almost 11 and The Dog seems OK but has barely moved. She's resting comfortably on the bed and I'm grateful she seems to know her limitations more than Old Dog, who'd be wanting to go for a walk right now--wounded paws and all.

But now it's almost 11 and the weekend is a mess. Still, things could be worse.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Well, at the moment I don't have a cat. The Dog needed to go Out so I convinced her to go and stayed out while she was taking care of business. The Cat, of course, also bolted Out and was enjoying the scene. But then The Dog decided she needed to go out to the pasture--only she won't go there unless I go too; she was waiting at the gateway. So I went out to the pasture. And The Cat came along and was having a blast--maybe too much of a blast, but what are you going to do. Eventually the two of them disappeared into some underbrush and I decided it was time to start getting them back in. Dog came out first and had forgotten her paws were injured and trotted along a bit until she reopened a wound. Stopped and nursed it a bit and then started heading in, but with a pronounced limp so I picked her up and carried her. Went back for The Cat and he was nowhere to be seen. Coaxed The Dog inside so I could mount a more thorough search and there's no sign of him. So all I can do is hope he didn't get into any trouble he couldn't handle and didn't forget how to get back to the house and check for him from time to time. Of course the added fun of that is doing it without agitating my convalescing dog. :/

I've always felt a bit bad that I never had kids, but with these two...at work I was talking with a guy about the joys of a 3 month old cat and he said "you have a 3 month old!?" And as I clarified I realized with all the stress I have trying to keep a cat and dog alive I can't imagine what a small human would entail.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I have recovered The Cat. The neighbor behind me has a sort of zoo/subsistence farm--goats, chickens, some kind of goose/turkey-sized fowl, etc. A few of the more feral chickens have taken to my other neighbor's horse pasture. I think between songbirds, chickens, small bugs and lizards, etc, he wound up in the horse pasture. After taking a break for an hour I went and had another fruitless search for him and just as I was about to return to the house he came barreling across my pasture. So now we're all in and more or less whole and I'm over an hour late for my lunch (which will be incomplete and improvised because I wasn't able to go shopping last night).

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Tonight The Dog insisted she should go for a walk. I limited her to a half hour and kept her to the undeveloped housing development block across the street. Even so, that was tiring. Oh, and The Cat went Out when we went for the walk. Since it was a shorter walk I was prepared to let her wander around the yard for as long as she wanted. No sign of The Cat when we got in but as soon as we got in the fence, she proceeded to chase something down and wound up limping back. Then The Cat showed up and promptly climbed straight up a tree. Luckily he was low enough that his front paws could touch my outstretched hands. So he climbed another 7' up. Tried to get The Dog in the house but she didn't want to go in. While I was trying to decide the best ladder for getting The Cat down, he went higher up--and out onto a limb. Went with the 6' step, which was tall enough to get to branches and I was able to get high enough that he was able to get down to where I could grab him.

Then we all got back to the house and The Dog still didn't want to go in. Neither did The Cat so I just let him go and was about to just collapse on the ground in frustration when I went "YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M THE GROWNUP. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU WANT. WE'RE GOING IN." And I grabbed The Cat and grabbed The Dog by the collar and got us all in where I could commence the evening's drinking whilst contemplating how completely and utterly I failed to get even my basic weekend chores done this week.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. This may be a moderately entertaining post. It may also get distracted and ramble. I can't be sure. It's been a long weekend and I've drunk too much.

I built an A-Team van. I wanted to do real estate investing, which entailed home renovations and no matter how clever you are, you can't fit a full sheet of drywall or plywood in the trunk of an '09 Ford Mustang. If I got a van I could use it for home renovation, camping, hauling my motorcycle--and I could do it up like the A-Team van.

But finding a proper A-Team van is harder than you'd think. It must not be a "shorty" or an extended version. It needs a sliding door. And no side windows. I'd been looking for a post-2009 "Inspired by the A-Team" Ford when I found it. A 1988 GMG G1500 Vandura standard body with a sliding door and no windows in the next town over. A quick motorcycle ride with a pocketful of cash and a Walther semiautomatic in the other pocket in case things went sideways and I was driving home in a fairly accurate A-Team van.

The problem was, for an "inspired by" I could take my time and add details. But when you have the right van and they aren't making the parts you need anymore, you want to get everything done as quickly as you can. Add on getting it in a garage. Put the right tires on it and the spoiler and suddenly it's tricky to fit the bugger under a garage door. So might as well do the interior. Added weight lowers the spoiler so put in the cabinetry and the captains chairs.

Shit. I don't even know where I was going with this. Oh yeah. We'll put aside the A-Team van build for a bit--which I'm sure I talked about above anyway--and say that around the time I was doing this a 1967 Chevy Van presented itself. The Mystery Machine. And during this time I was closing on my first rental property. And there was a sign place on the way to my Realtor that had a vinyl wrap Mystery Machine out front. I figured for $10K I could have a pretty nice Mystery Machine. The problem was, I had nowhere to park it. And no money for the job. So I'd have to make it and immediately sell it for $15K. Not very rewarding. I have not seen another late '60s driveable Chevy van local since then.

Now I've actually got space and money for a Mystery Machine (but not really, because I'd be throwing away valuable rental storage space for my own use but we'll stick with that.

Meanwhile, "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" comes out and me and a college friend also in a midlife crisis glom onto it. The ECTO-1 is a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor hearse-ambulance. I'm told around 400 were made. I know of at least 3. So long story short, you're not getting one. Just go out and get a 1991-96 GM station wagon for your "inspired by" Ectomobile. EXCEPT!!! Apparently, 50 miles away, is an actual 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance-hearse. The A-Team van/Mystery Machine hat trick. It doesn't run. And having tried to fix up a 1963 Grand Prix in the 1990s--and knowing someone much smarter and better connected than me tried and failed with the same car around 2012, I know how much work it entails to get an ancient junker running. Still....

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I've owned 4 houses. I've lived in 3 of them. 1 has been strictly a rental. I've loved each house and didn't want to move--but after I moved, I loved the new house and didn't want to go back. I was prepared to live in the rental and I think it would've been productive and interesting. But I think that ship has mostly sailed. Unless I'm so cheap that I want to avoid capital gains tax so I move to each of my houses to live there long enough that I can sell them without paying capital gains tax on them.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This is a cross between unwinding from a tiring if uninspiring day and letting a pot soak a bit before I try to clean it.

First off, after our extended drought it's been raining like a bastard. The rain is the only time the heat backs off out of the 90s this summer. Between all the water it was getting and not being able to cut it, the grass needed attention. Yesterday wasn't TOO hot, but I ran out of gas before I finished. Banged the rest out before Noon today but even so it was already up to 90 and my shirt was soaking wet with sweat. After lunch and a nap (and a change to dry clothes) I headed out for errands. The AC is out on my car so the dry clothes didn't stay dry long, but they also weren't dripping wet.

6 days ago a fellow real estate investor pitched a property he had at the monthly meeting. The price, size, and configuration sounded good and the neighborhood seemed OK so I pinged him for the details. There was an old Zillow listing that was a bit confusing because it said the place was a 2br and the guy said it was a 3. Turns out they basically cut the living room in half and turned everything behind the fireplace into a new bedroom. :( A little depressing because I could see what a nice place it had been when it was built. Heck, even Zillow pictures from 2005-ish showed the charm and potential the place had, but it had been badly neglected and trying to shoehorn a 3rd bedroom into a cozy little Cape Cod instead of cleaning it up and finding the right person for it just made matters worse. Add in no central AC and that the electric meter had been pulled. Also, in spite of reassurances of what a nice neighborhood it was (and it is in one of those funny places where there are beautiful expensive houses 2 blocks east) there were big PRIVATE PROPERTY/NO TRESPASSING signs in the windows, I found what appeared to be a live .45ACP round laying in the backyard driveway, and what appeared to have been the old front door was in the kitchen and may have had a bullet hole in it. So yeah. That's gonna be a "pass" for now.

Oh, I forgot the downbeat start of the day. I'm too old and soft to live in this world. Within 20' of starting mowing lawn the blade made a hitting something noise and it turns out I'd neatly decapitated about a 17" rat snake. So for the next 5-10 minutes I got to see the body writhing around every time I made a circuit. Looked closely at it and the head was completely disintegrated so there was no pain, just reflexes but it still seemed cruel. I tried running it over but it was too low for the blades. Poor guy must've been startled and looked up to see what was going on. :(

So anyway, after the house visit, it was off to pick up a furnace filter, then off to the bank to deposit a dinky little dividend check from a stock that doesn't have dividend reinvestment--and also to check how much of the promotional period (if any) I have left on my home equity line of credit. First place I stopped for a filter didn't have my size and the bank closed 17 minutes before I got there (this bank is totally in the 20th century, I like the people there but it's a headache and I should just switch but that's another story). Went to the ATM to deposit the check and found out my bank card had expired 4 days ago. I'd go find out about that but...

So. Got home. Had a beverage to help rehydrate (I had multiple beverages after lawn mowing) and a quick nap to recover from the heat, then I tackled dishes until I got to the pot that needed to soak a bit. This weekend I did my gumbolaya, which involves starting everything in a pan and then transferring it to a crock pot that has rice, water, and a can of beer in it and letting it stew overnight. So lots of dirty dishes. Now it's about time to get some dinner going and tackle that pot.

[EDIT: Oh, I remember the other thing I was going to say: making a left coming back from the house proved too difficult so I wound up turning right and driving past places I used to walk Old Dog that I haven't been with New Dog yet and getting choked up about her again. I will never fully get over missing her. But now I've got to go because New Dog is making plaintive whimpers to be petted.]

Last edited:

Oerdin

My sister can go fuck herself. We had a signed agreement, I paid her for a 50-50 distribution, and now, months later she is saying "oh, I found termite and maintenence issues and you need to pay half". This is after everything was finalized. WTF!

She would have been perfectly happy taking all the profits but now, long after everything is finalized, I am supposed to pay half on HER fucking properties? It is true about money making people insane