"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm not a happy person right now. I mean, I'm... I once characterized myself as "sad," and I wouldn't say I'm that anymore, but I'm definitely not happy. A classic trope is the tragic hero, someone who is undone by his code and morals. And that's where I'm at right now. I have 2 people that vie for the title of "best friend"--best friend from 5th grade that I rarely talk to these days and best friend/roommate from college who regularly calls me (to the point of being annoying) and ropes me into working for him (for buttloads of money).

Well awhile back college best friend called up to say he needed a hip replacement and had an operation scheduled for early September. But he would either need someone to take care of him or he would need to go in a nursing home. He asked me if I would come up to Wisconsin and take care of him for a week. Now I absolutely do NOT want to do this. And it will be inconvenient in more ways than I like to think about. But he IS a good friend. And he asked for my help. So by my code I must smile and agree to help him--or stop being his friend.

So for a week I'll have to stop my mail and drive 9+ hours up to Wisconsin to be trapped in a house with an old friend who is convalescing. I'll need to stop my mail and nothing in my life will really get done in that time. Oh and I have a cat and a dog now. So I either need to rope my aging neighbor and her sisters into watching them or load them in a car and hope The Cat does not escape when I stop for gas in Chicago. Oh, and did I mention that my friend has 2 previously feral Siamese cats? So even if we make it to the destination, who knows how his cats and my cat and dog will all get along.

Awhile back I shared with him my dilemma as someone who likes to help people and solve problems: A lot of people can NOT be helped. The best you can do is absorb the burden of their problems, freeing them up to go find NEW problems. He really liked this story. Little did he know just how often he comes to me with problems he needs help with. :(

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
If you're driving nine hours then the Cat needs to be in a carrier, not running around loose in the car.

Oerdin

Yeah, cat carriers are needed any time a cat is in a car. You don't want him rushing out a door or window. My neighbor had a garage sale and we picked up one for our cat for $5; it was clean and barely used. I washed it out and keep it in the garage for whenever we need to take kitty to the vet.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bah. All set to go out and really make some progress on prepping that garage floor. Then I remembered the grass needs to be mowed. Mowing an acre of grass is a miserable chore. And it will just need to be mowed again next week. :(

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I was going to put this on Facebook, but it may ramble a bit. Or it may be relative literary gold that I don't want to give to Zuck for free. You guys, I'll give it to for free:

I have a soft spot in my heart for the VW Sirocco. I don't know what made me love them. I guess they looked cool and sporty and somewhat exotic when I was at an age where those things appealed to me. And when I lived in Hawai'i and used to take the mighty GB500 on the short-lived Superferry to Maui for the occasional weekend, I got behind one the first time I took The Road To Hana. I wasn't a seasoned rider then (hell, still ain't) and motorcycles are a lot less forgiving of mistakes than cars. So I wound up behind this local in a VW Sirocco who knew the road and the car and how to drive it on it and she was invaluable as a pace car. I really had to screw it down to keep from losing her. And the goal was to be able to see her back bumper at least 60% of the time. Because if I saw her brake lights, I knew a nasty hairpin was coming up. It was a lot of fun.

Oh, why am I yammering about this obscure '80s car? There's one on CraigsList and I was perving it to kill time before tonight's period of unconsciousness.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm perplexed by people who fear death. For me, it's like, if the Grim Reaper shows up I'd be like "Oh, thank God! What took you so long?" At this point I've got just a few reasons I want to keep on living: 1) I want to be a millionaire and I'm not there yet and more importantly 2) I've got a dog and cat and don't want to just abandon them.

On a completely different unrelated note, I need to figure out how to make my friend understand that the reason I have free time and flexibility is NOT so I can drop everything I'm doing and solve his problems. It is because I value free time and flexibility and use it to work towards becoming a millionaire. So I can spend my days fucking around with The Dog and The Cat and doing whatever I feel like doing (as long as it isn't too expensive). Because a million doesn't go as far today as it did in 1930s Bruce Wayne's day.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
Bah. All set to go out and really make some progress on prepping that garage floor. Then I remembered the grass needs to be mowed. Mowing an acre of grass is a miserable chore. And it will just need to be mowed again next week. :(
Goats.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
My lawnmower is like the Battlestar Galactica, after the jump from the Cylon Colony to Earth. Actually, the engine and the blade are fine, but the rolling chassis... First thing that went was the "deadman" switch. There's a hole in the metal lever that the cable from the engine brake hooks into. Metal fatigue eventually wore that out and it broke. So now the cable is pulled to the "on" position by a vise grip that is lashed to the handle with some random bit of nylon cord that was laying around. Because of this, the 2 ways to kill the engine are to run out of gas or pull the spark plug wire. Since getting shocked while doing that got old real quick, now there's a bit of clothesline tied to the spark plug wire. Yesterday the front wheels finally gave up. The way they're set up, there's a plastic assembly screwed to the front of the cutting deck with holes for the axles at each corner. Over the years this plastic has weakened to the point that the wheels were at a definite "knock-kneed" angle, but yesterday I noticed that they just bent freely when any weight was put on them. I tried a few quick improvised solutions with parts at hand before ultimately wrapping the assembly with nylon cord to try and pull it back into its proper shape. I could buy a length of solid axle instead of each wheel being on a short bolt, I could engineer some kind of metal reinforcing to hold the plastic in its proper shape, or I could cover the assembly in fiberglass. Or I could just get a new lawnmower, which is what I hopefully will do. In other news, the lawn's mowed, but I haven't done anything really proactive today and I work tomorrow. Treading water.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So tired. I don't understand people who are afraid of death. If I ever see the stereotypical Grim Reaper it's going to be "OH THANK GOD! WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!"

Up. Ready to start the day. It's already a lot hotter than I'd like it to be for walking The Dog but there's nothing that can be done about it so I put on some clothes that I washed this weekend and head out.

Now, some people might criticize my approach to having a dog. But my choice is to give them a chance to do what they were bred to do. Mine is a hunter. So in the morning she heads across the street to try to find a groundhog to kill. There are 3 stressors related to this: private property, tall grass, and another person who walks his dog there for an extended period.
In the afternoons we go down to the creek. But mornings are the vacant development across the street. If we flipped the two locations there would be no conflict with the other dog walker (his dog doesn't seem particularly friendly to other dogs), but you can't argue with dog logic. So we go and mostly miss them because he sticks to the streets like a normal human while we bushwhack.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. There is a house on the corner of the development. And there is a groundhog hole on the corner of that property where my dog has got a groundhog in the past and almost got one over the weekend. That makes for an easy walk, because if she smells a groundhog in the hole, she is willing to sit there 10, 20, 40 minutes--even an hour if she's in the right mood. But apparently they've had enough of this, because a few minutes into her stalk, the homeowner quietly but very obtrusively came out the back door to stand on the porch and scowl at us. So now that location is off limits (there's also an apartment complex she used to like to explore because there were interesting smells there, but the manager said some of the residents were bothered by her). Now since there's no houses in the development at this point, there are extended spots where the grass is approaching 8 feet tall--with ivy twining through it. This doesn't slow down The Dog, because she's following her nose, but if I don't dive in and stay right on her tail, I lose her almost instantly. I could just not let her go into the grass, but then she wouldn't get tired out as quickly. So I pretty quickly am covered in pollen and seeds and the ivy has caused grass stains all over my clean fresh jeans and I'm completely sweaty. At this point I almost run into The Dog because she's stopped to poop, so now I'm realizing walking through poop is another thing. And then I see the reason she's stopped to poop is that the entrails of a groundhog that has been killed by some kind of predator are there. And I'm crashing around in that too. A few minutes after that, as I'm getting more and more unhappy, I manage to step in a groundhog hole. Luckily I realized what was happening almost immediately and fell down before I could badly twist my ankle, but at this point I'm done. Luckily, she's a pretty good dog and she came out of the grass almost before I got out myself. And she wrapped up her walk a half hour early--or I wouldn't have had time to write this.

But I'm tired. I already look like a bum because the nicest Hawaiian shirt I have has a big hole in it near the bottom and my nicest jeans are cheap Wal*Mart jeans and have paint stains on them from trying to get my rental ready this summer and now they're covered in grass stains to boot. But I guess this is the life I chose for myself so I really have no place to complain about it.

[EDIT: Because my old dog and cat died so soon after I moved to the new house--and so soon after each other--I needed another dog and cat as a kind of closure. But these are almost certainly my last cat and dog. It was lonely for a year, but also so nice to be able to have so much extra time (granted it wound up going to working for my friend and there was nothing to do because of the 'rona) and to be able to just do things without having to plan around a cat and a dog. ]

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Just a "hi honey, how was your day?" dump.

Next week I go to Wisconsin for a week to help my friend out while he recovers from hip replacement. While I harbor some feelings of resentment, I have decided it was the right thing to do. I just pray there are no complications. And the sad thing is, this isn't for my friend, it's purely selfish. I don't want to be trapped there any longer than I've committed to. But people *do* die during the most routine operations. And sometimes joint replacements fail and need to be redone.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to try to replace a worn tire on the car before the big trip. When you're on a 9 hour drive with a dog and a cat, you don't want any more complications than are necessary. Didn't think I'd be successful, as less and less tire places carry tires that fit my car, but the tire place had one at a nearby warehouse and their shuttle guy happened to be near the warehouse when they called him, so I wound up killing time by walking to the nearby post office to have my mail held and then coming back because there really wasn't much to see in the neighborhood and I wasn't wearing shoes for walking. Took around 2 hours from leaving the house to having the new tire on and being back on the road. The Plan had been to head across town to pick up a few things that I couldn't find locally. Then down to Home Depot for a new lawnmower. As late as I was, I was tempted to skip the cross-town trip, but I'd been trying to pull it off for almost a month so, by God, I was going to do it. Mission accomplished (although I only got the essential items on the list instead of spending time shopping). Headed back for the lawnmower. A few days ago the store was supposed to have 7 in stock but yesterday the shelf was bare. A couple workers were nearby so I decide to ask if they might have more stock, even though experience told me that was futile. As it happened, one of the workers was the store manager and as it happened they did have 2 more up on the top shelves. So I had to sit around forever for the big slow elevator forklift thing could drive over and get one down. Luckily it just fit in the Mustang, so I could wrap up the day's Odyssey. Which gets us to today.

One of the things I needed yesterday and forgot was dog food. I will have to go to the store for dog food today. And tomorrow is trash day so I will have to stuff as much junk that is out in the sheds into the trash can as I can. But I also wanted to do some excavating on my gravel-floored garage. I did. Made good progress. But then there's that "last mile." The "last mile" is a tech phrase that also applies to infrastructure, where it's relatively easy to build out everything until that last mile to the end user. Similar thing with the garage. Dug out as much as I had time for. They'll be putting in 4" of concrete and I had a brick that was 4" wide, so I dragged that around the perimeter of the garage to make sure I was low enough. I was. But it took a little fiddling. So as I look at the floor, I almost certainly need to do take out more dirt. But now my OCD tendencies come in. I know I've got a long board and a level laying around. With them I can see just how much work I still need to do. Although I really don't have time for that. I should turn to on trash and groceries after lunch. But that will pain me--being so close to being done and then having to put it on the back burner again--and I almost certainly won't be able to get back to it before the second half of September. Oh well. Need to go get some calories. Running late.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Gotta vent a bit. Usually I try to anonymize my job at least a little bit, but I don't have the energy/skill to do that and make things coherent. Heck, this may not be coherent as told straight-up.

I may be done. I only planned to work this for a year. August was 2 years and right now, by my quit criteria, there is still no end in sight, but it may be time.

Quite awhile back, they switched us to two 10 minute breaks instead of 15. And pretty consistently they give us letters stipulating mandatory overtime. Today they decided to run the line for 3 shifts. Here's the problem with 3 shifts: A standard shift is 8 hours. There are 24 hours in a day. Generally you tack on a half hour for lunch that isn't paid, making 25 1/2 hours for 3 shifts--and that's assuming people can just walk in, "make the tag" and transition to the new shift. So what they want to do is give us a 10 minute break and a a 20 minute paid lunch. Now, anything over 2 hours (which we're doing right now) is, IMO, longer than a 21st century American human is able to work productively. I start making mistakes when I've been trying to do the same thing every 16 seconds for more than 2 hours. And 10 minutes isn't enough time to eat an apple, pee, and refill your water bottle. I might be able to do a 20 minute lunch with two 10 minute breaks, but trying to get 8 hours of assembly line work with 30 minutes of rest may be a bridge too far.

[shit, it's going to take me forever to get to the "good" stuff.] Thing is, the Home Equity Line of Credit I have to buy my next rental property is built on me having this job and the contracting job for my friend. The contracting job ended in March. So I'm a bit leery of quitting this job because it's possible the money for my next/last rental could go away.

OK. I guess I'm up to speed. Oh. Now I need a disclaimer: I'm the narrator, so you're getting my perception of things. It's possible I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

I help make dishwashers. There's 5 lines to make a dishwasher: The tub line that builds the initial chassis, the door line that builds the door, the rack line that builds the racks for inside, the main line that adds stuff to the basic chassis and mates the door to it, and the test line that makes sure the machine works properly and boxes it up to go out for delivery. I almost exclusively work the main line. I've done almost all the jobs on the main line, and a fair number of jobs on the other lines. Today I was hanging the doors.

Now I need to backtrack a bit. For an assembly line, you want a buffer where the lines meet. So at the end of the tub line there's a 50' or so belt with electric eyes, loaded with completed tubs. There are also racks of completed tubs that can be added to the belt if the tub line goes down for any length of time. Same goes for doors and racks. If the tub, door, or rack lines go down, they draw from their reserve so the main line doesn't have to stop. If the main line goes down, they rebuild their reserves. Make sense?

Well the guy who runs the door line was off today, so his backup was in charge. [Shit, this is convoluted and too long.] When we moved to this line (we used to make a different model that has since been discontinued), the guy who ran the door line had someone to move doors along the buffer conveyor belt to try to make sure the main line never had to pull from the racks. ...

LOL. I'm thinking about how much farther this story has to go and realizing I never should've started it. But I'll just leave it here instead of deleting it. Maybe I'll come back and try to pull it together. I'm so close to my point, but can't figure out an elegant way to get to it. Bottom line is that people are too in love with the idea of the reserve racks and will rob the production line to replenish them, even if it means the main line has to pull 2 doors off the reserve racks for every 1 you put on them. I see this. I understand it. But I'm too low on the totem pole to be able to do anything about it. Which is another reason it is time for me to leave.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. Forget most of that. It is unnecessary to the story. The point is, for an appliance assembly line, there are sub assembly lines that join together with the main line. And they do this with a buffer so that if either line goes down it doesn't stop the other line. This is done with a 20-30' segmented belt controlled by electric eyes. A door comes off the door line and the belt carries it to the last empty position and stops it there. When a door is taken from the end of the belt to attach to a washer, all the doors on the buffer belt move up a position. If the door line is down so long that the belt gets depleted, there are racks of doors that can be used until the door line gets going again. If the main line is down long enough that the buffer fills up, they can put doors into the racks to be used if the door line goes down. Ideally you want the buffer to be almost full.

The frustrating thing is, no one understands that. They get that it is important to have spare doors on the racks and that those are to be only used if there is no other option. Back when I worked the door line, I managed the buffer one day. When the belt would get low, I'd take doors from the rack to keep the belt running so the guy who hangs doors didn't have to go over to a rack and get a door. When the belt was full, I'd pull doors to replenish the rack. It worked great. But I got told not to do it. So for the rest of the day I'd pick up a door from one end of the belt and carry it to the first open spot at the other end of the belt and then go back to the other end of the belt to get another door.

Last night I was hanging doors and they had someone managing the buffer belt. Actually she was sitting around fucking off on her phone. Occasionally she'd get up to go lean on the belt and fuck off on her phone. Later in the night she actually started working and in retrospect I wish she'd stayed on her phone, because she was only making things worse. The door line was slow enough that sometimes there wouldn't be a door for me. I need a door every 16 seconds and I'm not good enough at that job to be able to wait 17-18 seconds and then catch back up. Once I get behind I'm screwed. So I'd grab a door from the rack. This was fine because that would give the belt a some time to replenish to a healthy level. Except this dumb bitch would then pull 3 doors off the belt to put in a rack. Which would mean that, even with her carrying doors back and forth, I'd run out of doors and wind up using up 4 doors from the rack to get caught back up (and pulling from the rack is slower than taking them from the belt). So then, even though the belt was mostly empty, she'd grab a door or two and stick them on a rack. It was maddening.

Well, should get going. Got a dog to walk and gas to get so I can finish mowing lawn before the rain. And hopefully eat some dinner. I kind of want to go shopping tonight before dinner but may have to settle for what I've got in the cupboard.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A quick Dog Blog: [Trigger warning: It contains graphic groundhog murder details--but there is a scientific hypothesis at the end.]

Yesterday night the last scabs came off from her last groundhog battle. So this morning she, of course, murdered a groundhog. It's freaky how she can sometimes know one is there (and how sometimes she doesn't, even though it is in plain sight). They've got a hole just under a creek overpass so we walk across the bridge and then she ducks under the guardrail as I take her leash off as I climb over to let her patrol. Today she was gone like a shot the second the leash was off and by the time I was over the guardrail she'd let out a yelp as she'd dragged a groundhog out of the hole. They slid down the bank and she dispatched it pretty quickly--but not without getting bit at least one more time. This 'hog must've survived at least one other pretty bad attack because it had a roughly mouth-shaped patch on its back that hair wouldn't grow on. But it wasn't so lucky this time.

What follows is fairly yucky. Once the groundhog is mortally wounded or dead, she proceeds to break most of the bones in its body. Today she decided to open it up. And she focused on the crotch. Groundhogs are tougher than you'd think. It's amazing canines survived for so long before they were domesticated. But eventually she got it open and started pulling out intestines.

Now, this is the 3rd 'hog she's opened up. The first one had an accidental opening in the belly from the kill and she did the same thing--pulled out the guts up to and including (IIRC) the stomach, eating them as she went. Then she almost immediately puked it all back up and lost interest in the kill. The next time she went in at the collarbone and got at whatever she could before I overruled her and took her away so I could come back and dispose of the body (which was in a much more public place). At first I was confused that she hadn't learned her lesson. I grabbed a poop bag and pulled out as much intestine as I could, chucking it in the creek and stuffing the now nasty poop bag in a plastic bottle that was laying there. She kept at it and managed to get the stomach out. So I grabbed another bag and got rid of that. After that she was content to just lay next to her trophy, eventually coming over to get petted and get a dab of lip balm on the new wound above her left eye. (I think this one was what precipitated the yelp and was received dragging the 'hog out of its hole.) It's amazing how quickly dog bleeding stops, compared to a human. I don't want to think about what I'd look like with a laceration over the eye. A bloody mess. But that isn't the main point.

My main point is, I suspect instinct told her to pull the guts out of he kill to prevent dangerous decomposition. A little decomposition is fine for dogs--it helps with digestion--they just don't want to get sick from it. Getting all the poop and partly digested food out of the body is their way of "field dressing" their food. Since they don't have hands or any other way of doing it, they just swallow it and then puke it up somewhere out of the way. Nasty but practical.

I really wish I didn't know what a groundhog's stomach looked like. Or any other other aspects of having a dog with a strong prey drive.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I do not normally talk about travel plans until after the fact to minimize things like burglary, but I don't think anyone here knows specifically where I live--or is close enough for it to be worthwhile to break into my house.

Next qualifier: I really wish I could do things I wanted to do instead of having to decide the least unpleasant option.

A few months back an old friend revealed he was getting hip surgery and needed to have someone stay with him the week after the surgery. He lives 9 hours away and has 2 formerly feral Siamese cats. I would ask my neighbor and her sisters to watch my cat and dog, but she's had a knee and a shoulder replaced and just got a kitten of her own--and my dog can be a little skittish sometimes so I don't want to dump them on them for a whole week. I also don't want to make two 9 hour trips in the car with them and try to make all the animals and people play nicely together while helping someone recover from surgery, but that's the option where I have the most direct control over things, so that's what I'm going with.

So the surgery is Wednesday morning. That's all I know. It's about 2 hours to Indy, then 3 more to Chicago, another 3 to Madison, and then 2 more to my friend's place (that adds up to 10 or so because of rounding etc). As an added wrinkle, I gain an hour to time zone change on the way and lose an hour on the way back. Should be able to make it with one refill in Chicago. So now I'm plugging the times in to make sure I'm not hitting anywhere during rush hour and that I don't arrive in the middle of the night and it looks like the best option is to leave at midnight tonight. I lose a day but that does give me a day to get the animals settled in before the operation. And my alternate go-time is around 1pm Tuesday. I really don't gain that much by waiting. I dunno.

I have a ritual from my Marine days of going to Outback Steakhouse before any big adventure and it occurs to me to do that tonight. (Yeah, I know Outback isn't world-renowned or anything, but it is a ritual so I can't just change places.) Of course that means the leftover mac & cheez will sit in the fridge for a week. But that should be fine. Anyway, if it isn't, I can throw it out or give it to The Dog. Hmmm... Maybe I'll go at 1pm tomorrow. It will likely screw up The Dog's routine more than driving overnight, but it should work. I don't know. For now, it's time to walk her and maybe put together a packing list so I'm less likely to forget something. Packing for a weekend by yourself is simple. A week, more complex. And adding a dog and a cat adds to the complexity.

[Oh, and we found out Friday night that the factory is going to try to run 3 shifts on our line. With a 24 hour day that means 8 hours per shift with no down time between shifts. When I started it was 8.5 hours with two 15 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch--4 two hour work segments. Over a year ago they moved to two 10 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch--all front-end loaded so they could have mandatory overtime if they wanted to. I've got to say, my work really suffers as I get over 2 hours on an assembly line. And a 10 minute break just isn't enough. Well now they're going to go with one 10 minute break and one 20 minute break and I really don't think my body can do that; I certainly won't enjoy making my body do that and the work quality will suffer. So I gotta decide if I'm quitting or not. And if I am, ideally I should put in my notice tomorrow.]

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I have so many things to say, but not really the energy to unspool them. I'm in Wisconsin. The surgery has happened and is being called successful. My friend is alert and functioning and sensation is returning to his legs. The drive up went better than I could have hoped. The cat and dog handled it very well. They're also getting along well with my friend's cats--or at least they're avoiding each other instead of trying to murder each other. And my dog did not attack my friend or his daughter, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Apparently the city where he lives is NOT a T-Mobile city. It's impossible to keep my phone charged because it keeps losing signal. My friend is, for lack of a better word, a hipster. That isn't 100% accurate, but it'll do. He has some fancy, expensive esoteric stove he spent a lot of time finding that I couldn't get to make a decent frozen pizza. 45 minutes for a 15 minute job and it wound up rubbery and overdone on one side and underdone on the other. He's got a 'fridge crammed with stuff and nothing to eat. There's stuff in need of repair--ceiling plaster, etc. Every possible space is packed with furniture and all the furniture is packed with curios and relics. The walls are covered with stuff. It is exhausting.

This should've been a lot longer, I thought, but that covers it for now. Although I'm here for a week so more things will probably annoy me.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Official Day 2 is almost in the bag and so far it has been tiring but has been going well. Biggest hiccup is absolutely terrible cell phone service. They kept him in the hospital overnight. So I got him back shortly before lunch. Getting him settled in and figuring out the routines. Picked his daughter up from school tonight. Have to drop her off tomorrow morning. Not completely terrible about being an adult to a teen girl, but also not an unqualified success. I'd rather relate to her as a peer than as an adult but that doesn't really work and would be a mistake anyway. Got a good reminder of my position on the way back from school. Decided to take my car and when she asked me what year it was, she revealed that my "new" car was from the year she was born.

Almost got through this without being snarky, but speaking of going to the school...once we got him home and settled in and had lunch I had to take my dog for a walk. Then we had to go for a short walk. Apparently they want to start exercising that new hip right off the bat. It was only 3/4 block out and back, and the pace was very slow, but we did it. Then we got him iced down and it was time to go get The Girl.

I don't think I mentioned in the last post, but my friend is a bit of a technophile. While I'm Commander Adama. He has an electronic lock on the front door with a cell phone style touchpad for a combination. The house is wired up with Google so he knows when people come and go and can watch the kitchen from his phone. He can tell Google to turn things on and off. His car nags him--the seat vibrates if it thinks he's getting too close to anything (another part of the reason I took my car to the school). So when I wanted to know how to get to this school, he texted me a screenshot of Google Maps directions. Again, remember the part where I said I had lousy cell service? So I have to go stand out on the sidewalk and text him in the living room to try to get directions on how to pick up his daughter instead of him just drawing me a map or even saying "It's at 123 Main St" so I can just go up and get on Google maps on my laptop and sketch myself a map instead of trying to figure things out on my 2x4" phone. When I finally have the info he's like "you can't follow the directions though because you can't stop in front of the school, you need to go down this alley and pull into line with the other cars. They should know you're picking her up but sometimes they don't check their messages..." I'm trying to deal with all this on a tiny phone with no reception that has a battery at 36%--and dropping even though plugged into the car charger. It's like, "you know what? It isn't rocket science. Just give me the address for the school. Once I'm there I can look for the place with all the cars and all the kids coming out the door. The school has 4 sides, I can figure it out in less time than this conversation is taking." And yes, once I got there it was dead simple and no one cared that the creepy old guy in the old Mustang, wearing a ratty Hawaiian shirt was picking up the blonde teen in a Catholic schoolgirl uniform. Personally, this was a bit of a security liability IMO, but I wasn't about to say anything since I was actually supposed to be there and didn't want to make more work for myself.

It was like that when I got in too. "I'm need to go walk The Dog, since she's been in a car for 9 hours." "Walk back here. Don't go too far that way because it is kind of a bad neighborhood. And don't go too far that way because you'll run into drunk college kids. And don't go across the street because..." "Dude. I'm a least a relatively intimidating looking guy, walking a relatively intimidating looking dog. And any neighborhood near you isn't going to be worse than some neighborhoods I've regularly walked my dog in. Because that's whe I wind up doing--walking where her nose tells us to go." (As it happened, she wanted to walk in just about exactly the area my friend was talking my ear off about walking.)

Well, I should get going. Somehow, in spite of a quick nap, it isn't 9 yet, but it's pitch black out and I'm exhausted. And I still should jump in the shower to get a head start on tomorrow.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I am far too superstitious to make any forward-looking predictions, but none of the things I worried about have happened and we're past them--I made it here safely, the operation was a success, the various animals have not been trying to murder each other. In fact the biggest hiccup was something I wouldn't have guessed in a million years--lousy cell coverage with my carrier. Thus far I am fortunate and grateful.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Just a bit of venting. The book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" talks about how no 2 motorcycles are alike because they take on the traits of their owner and houses are like this even moreso. They are really "living machines"; more than a shelter. You set them up for how you live. All the pointless clutter is exhausting. I'll attempt to outline the room I'm in--although I'll probably stop before I get halfway.

The desk I'm working on has a retro cat lamp--but just a bare bulb. No lampshade. Right of me is a manual typewriter. to the left is some kind of mechanical adding machine. There are 2 more mechanical adding machines in the room--big clockwork things with dozens of buttons and a big arm that you pull to...I dunno, run whatever you've punched in? I also had to move a large ceramic salad bowl full of seashells and a big metal tin for some kind of 1930s hand soap to make room for my laptop. To the left of the desk is a 1940s wood radio about the size of a jukebox. Left of that is a 3 shelf bookcase. Then the door. Oh, the bed is right of the desk. On the wall with the bed is a dresser. On the other wall next to the door is a large trunk with some kind of newspaper printing plates rack on it. Then a rocking chair and then a treadmill, which brings us to the last wall. After the treadmill is another rocking chair, then a vanity, then a 1990s 26" console TV and finally a telescope.

Above the bed is a built-in shelf of beer steins that runs to the ceiling. Then assorted framed and other wall things: A 2x6' iron Goodrich auto sign, an inscription of the Hippocratic Oath, a framed promotional beer sign, a picture of his daughter as a newborn, a framed burlap sack for Babe Ruth brand beans, and some kind of folk art Biblical allegory entitled "Jerusalem to Jericho" that is set up a bit like a snakes and ladders board with captions for the various scenes on it. Next wall has some kind of street scene oil painting and a birdhouse. Above the vanity mirror is another BF Goodrich sign. There would be more stuff, but this was once a "sleeping porch" above the 1 car garage, so most of the space is windows. The various previously described furniture is all filled with assorted memorabilia--a neon beer sign, more beer steins, another lamp (this one at least has a shade--although it isn't actually plugged in--neither is the TV), figurines, knick-knacks, and about a 2 gallon jar full of marbles. Oh, and a tea set. It's maybe nice stuff individually or reasonably curated, but it's just overwhelming as it is. The whole house is like this to one degree or another.

The reason for the screed is the kitchen. I am of the school that life is complex enough as it is without making it needlessly so. Take pizza. If I need calories for my face-hole, I'll heat up my $700 gas range to around 425 degrees, stick a frozen pizza in it, and in 15 minutes I'm ready to eat. Other day we had pizzas. We had to thaw the sausage, crust, and goat cheese. We had to fire up the $7,000 gas range and let it heat up to 350 degrees for an hour. Then we had to turn the heat up to 500 degrees for another hour. Meanwhile we're browning sausage in a cast iron skillet, chopping green peppers and spooning out organic kalamata olives. Eventually we get to eat. And then I get to clean up the kitchen. I got that done--while keeping my dog exercised and taking care of my friend's hip rehab etc. Just in time for taco night, which was even messier. And it's like...oh, we got a roast going in the crock pot before dinner. He wanted to brown the meat before putting it in the pot. So we dirtied the skillet I'd just cleaned. Then when it was time to make taco meat he wanted the skillet cleaned again before we could brown more beef in it.

After dinner it was time to get him settled in. We had to get him up the stairs and move all his stuff (raised chair, backpack, reachin' stick, iPad, etc) upstairs. He had to take his meds. Then he had to do his exercises. Meanwhile I've found a water glass that needs to go in the sink because he uses a dishwasher since every square inch of his kitchen is crammed with crap and we've already filled the dishwasher just making 2 meals. And he needs a glass of milk to help keep the meds down (that reminds me, I forgot the glass on his nightstand). Then he wanted to watch something on the TV.

So. Streaming. I don't do it. I've got an antenna in the attic and I watch the local stations. I've got Peacock free to watch nuBSG on my laptop. My friend is mostly streaming. And he wants to watch something. So he's farting around with his giant Captain Kirk monitor (oh, and the whole house is wired up with Google watching over him) in his bedroom to get something up and Paramount+ comes up and I go "Oh! 'Strange New Worlds'! I really want to watch that." To which he replies "I've also got Disney+. Have you watched 'The Obi-Wan Kenobi Show'?" "No. I'm really not interested in it either." I'm trying not to say I'm pretty much done with Disney in an effort to be diplomatic so we wind up watching the first episode of "The Book of Boba Fett." Which doesn't completely suck, but it is also pretty stupid and pointless and given that I explicitly said I wanted to watch "Strange New Worlds" rubs me the wrong way. But he wanted to do it. And I'm here for him so...

But eventually The Dog starts getting restless. And I still need to get cleaned up for the night. Oh, and the thing crashed 2/3 of the way through. So then we've got to turn it back on, navigate the menus, log back in, and (thankfully) it remembered where we left off so I didn't have to watch it all again--or wait around while he got to where we were.

And like I say, the guy makes things needlessly complicated. If he's refinishing a hardwood floor he can't just hit it with a stain and/or linseed oil and finish with a couple coats of polyurethane, he's got to find some shitty period accurate locally sourced free range gluten free finish and then do a wax finish on that that will need to be rewaxed ever few years. When he was redoing his daughter's room he was going to paint the walls before the ceiling. I told him you paint the ceiling first, then walls, then finish the floor. He said he wanted to do the walls first. Then he gets back to me about how the dropcloths he has taped to the walls keep falling down and I'm like "Really? So if you'd painted the ceiling before painting the walls, you'd have needed to tape a dropcloth over the ceiling to keep the paint from the walls from dripping on it?" And he's always got to use some fucking historical milk paint (or get an esoteric $7,000 stove) or something instead of just going down to Home Depot and getting something that is cheap, simple, works, and will last forever. Shit, I refurbished a cheap shitty Wal*Mart pressed wood with fake woodgrain stickers on it dresser that I found on the curb. Some minor structural repairs, new hardware, and a coat of some spare interior paint I had laying around. Then I took some wood stain on a rag and added it over the paint to get a look akin to some expensive difficult to source milk paint.

I mean, yeah, if you've got literally more money and time than you know what to do with, go nuts. Fart around with needlessly complex and expensive things. But if you're like the rest of us, keep it simple so you have more time and money to use to make enough time and money that you don't know what to do with it. OK. Bedtime.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Just a short and admittedly crazy note: I mostly believe I have empathic healing powers. You know how in sci-fi/supernatural shows, there will be a character that can absorb someone's sickness/injury and heal it themself? I kind of feel like I can do that. My friend is doing OK and my leg is more sore than normal. (There have been other instances like this, this isn't just a one-off thing.) Of course the leg he had the hip replaced on happens to be the leg I had my ACL done on. And I've had a bit of tendonitis going in the knee before coming here and having a dog that needs extra exercise to cope with an unfamiliar situation as well as being in a 2 story house with fairly steep stairs and needing to run around and fetch things from different floors for my friend and not get enough sleep all would make me more tired than usual and make my leg more sore than usual.

I also believe I was given some kind of variant of the Captain America Super Soldier Serum for the Gulf War, although things like the aforementioned torn ACL probably put a wrinkle in that belief. Anyway, that's another story.