"You gonna get another job?"...

Oerdin

Volpone has previously spoken about the bait and switch where they said they were paying their rent, they claim they mailed their check, or they said they wanted to pay via some weird new method. No, the lease agreement spells out how rent is supposed to be paid, you agreed to it, you signed your name on the form, and, no, I am not changing it for you. Have your money order or cashier's check ready as agreed, bitch.

Once or even twice I understand, things happen, but when it is every month then it is no longer an acception.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Looked at a house today. Actually looked at 2 houses. But one was terrible. The other has potential. Should probably be strategerizing on what to make for an offer right now, but I don't have the energy for it ATM.

Funny thing is, I need a mirror and a DVD player* and there's a Wal*Mart on the way to the houses. So The Plan was to stop there on the way back and pick them up. Then, it turned out there was a Wal*Mart practically next to the last house. But I wound up not going. There's only so much decisiveness and spending I can do in an evening. And the thought of putting an offer in on a house was enough to burn out my mental/emotional ability to go into Wal*Mart, pick out and pay for a DVD player and a mirror.

*The remote for my DVD player has become unlinked from the player again. Efforts to sync them back up have failed. The player works without the remote, but it's inconvenient. DVD players sell for something like $35. So for the time I've spent troubleshooting it it would've been cheaper to just throw it away and buy a new one. And $35 is a worthy price to have access to the menu and scene selection and not having to get up and walk over to it to pause and unpause it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bah. I'm comfortable. And lazy. And my nerves are shot. Rationally, I know I should buy 1 more rental property. And I've found one that looks good. But I'm making ends meet on what I've got (barely--and with no margin for error). And I know just how little I'm able to accomplish in a day now, so I dread trying to get a house ready to rent--especially one that's 30 minutes away. And I know I can afford to finance it. But I'm still dragging my heels at putting together an offer. Oh well. Time to go get to work.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
We has a place we wants, my Precious. Yess, we do. Can we gets it? We shall see.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
These fuckers. Guy bought a house 3 months ago for $117K and figured he could just sit on it for 3 months and then sell it for $157K. Well he's had it on the market for a month and he's dropped his price $20K. Thing is, the market has turned since September. It was already turning in September but it's turned more. I gave him a chance to get his money back. Didn't think he'd take it but thought he might make a counter offer that I could at least take seriously. He came down $2K. Fuck you dude. I might have gone as high as $131K but I don't have time for this kind of BS.

I just got done with my post-lunch siesta and was getting ready to bang out some other things but now I'm in a poopy mood.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This comes back to my frustration with knowing things but not being able to convince people I know things. Of the houses I thought were overpriced, only once was I wrong. And I was way wrong. Cobbled together 5/2 with cracks all over the plaster, a bad roof, big dead trees, and all kinds of other problems. Listed for $80K and sold in a day for $100K. Now someone might be able to make that deal work, but it doesn't fit in with my strategy. I don't want Misery Manors. I only want houses I'd live in myself. Anyway, I think I mentioned it above, but there was another place. Close by. Would've been good because I could've spent nights there while renovating it and still been able to have the dog and cat at my house. Interesting but quirky. Lots of things that needed fixing. Offered him a fair price for it but his counter came in about $6K more than I thought it was worth and I was told he wouldn't budge so I walked away. Week later it listed as "PENDING." And there it sat. For 2 months. Estates were closing faster than it. Then one day it wasn't "PENDING" anymore. It was "PREFORECLOSURE." Well done, dude. You walked away from getting out with some money to instead have a foreclosure on your credit record because you couldn't/wouldn't see reality.

This guy, I went back to the listing because I was talking with a friend and needed to refresh my memory. He has no illusion that it is an investment property; a 1st time homeowner isn't going to buy it. He just apparently doesn't understand that no competent investor is going to pay what he's asking--at least I don't think they will. I consistently am willing to pay more than any other investor. Oh, he may find a [-]sucker[/-] incompetent investor, but I doubt it. Interest rates are too high. Novices are getting cold feet.

Fuck, I could be totally wrong. I dunno. We'll see. I say again: I've regretted plenty of deals that I couldn't make work but I've never regretted walking away from a deal I couldn't make work.

And yeah. In 2 weeks, after the next mortgage and insurance bills come due, I'll be putting in an offer--for $500 less than this on. And there's no hint to my realtor that I'll pay more. And if it still hasn't sold a month after that the price will be at least $1,500 lower. I gave this guy a way to minimize his losses on a bad strategy. He didn't want it. Let him eat crow. Or find a sucker who'll pay him what he thinks he can get.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Also, I either need to get my realtor to do actual real counter-offer bargaining too or get a different realtor. The last 2 deals that haven't gone through, I put in an offer. Then the seller's realtor calls her and says what the seller is willing to counter-offer and she calls me up and asks me if that works for me. And I say "no." But if I'd be willing to counter that counter-offer. Then she calls up the other realtor and tells them this and the deal falls through. Bullshit. If you're willing to make a counter-offer, put it in writing. Show you're serious about doing a deal. I put my offer in writing. You can take the time to do the counter-offer right. I don't care if it's more work for the realtors. With Zillow and Redfin I don't actually NEED a realtor. I like using one, but if I want to I can write up an offer myself. I can find properties and get info on them. I guess I need someone to show me the place, but the listing realtor can do that if they're interested in making a deal. Well, gotta go. The Dog wants my attention.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I see the allure of poker. It is a good model of Life. This house I want. 3/1.5. Brick ranch. Detached 2 car. Nice crime free neighborhood on a quiet dead-end street, near major roads and employers. At $137K it is fairly priced. BUT... I know the guy bought it 4 months ago for $117K. And did just sat on it. I hate the idea of paying a speculator $20K for nothing. BUT...I also want a nice house at a price I can afford. So there's that. We'll just put a pin in that.

Next, we must consider the seller. I don't know him. I don't know how long he's been doing this or how much money he has. Or how smart or stupid he is. Or brave or timid.

In my mind, houses in my market are worth less than they were in September. And he almost certainly financed the deal and his interest rate wasn't low. I offered him $117K and he countered with $135K, which I walked away from. Thus far, it is still on the market. SOOO...

Now I've got to decide the best way to get it. (At a price I can afford.) Do I try to grind him into the ground with fear and doubt by offering a lower price than my first offer? Or will this just make him stubborn and refuse to sell it to me for any price? Or do I go with "hey, I really don't think you'll get more than I offered, and I can't pay what you're asking. I can give you $124K." Like poker, the right approach depends on the person I'm dealing with. And I don't have any way to know who I'm dealing with. :/

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ssh! Don't tempt me! The danger is, I could be wrong. Someone could offer him more. Or even less but he decides to take it. People do not behave rationally or in their best interests. Had a house I was interested in but couldn't get to a price I was willing to pay. Within a week of the deal falling through it listed as "pending." Actually, I mentioned this all above. Anyway, it sat that way for 2 months. Then all of a sudden it listed as "preforeclosure." I don't know if I have the skill or experience to buy a home that is being foreclosed on. I wish the guy would've done the deal with me instead of losing his house, but there you have it. He didn't.

On a different point, I am a Worrier. The Cat is Out. Again. He always comes In when he's ready but when he's Out after the sun's down, I worry. And my older neighbor's horse was acting funny this evening so I texted her and I haven't heard back. So I worry. Was the horse acting funny because she's laying unconscious in the barn? I dunno. Ah well, back to fun gathering up tax info for my accountant.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The cat is fine, the neighbor is fine, the horse is fine. Another day survived.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A too long for Facebook post:

The day did not start out badly. Slept in. But just a bit. Actually got done walking The Dog with enough time to run errands before lunch. I needed to run some tax stuff to my accountant across town. I also need (want) a decorative mirror and a DVD player. There's a Target and a Wal*Mart right next to each other near my accountant so I figured at least one of them would have them. Since I was going to be out at lunchtime, it was an excuse to try one of the restaurants I'd been meaning to experience.

Now, you'd think eating a meal at a restaurant would be a relatively simple task. Restaurants exist to serve people food. In theory. But this is the year 2023. I've never eaten at Texas Roadhouse or Frisch's Big Boy. Texas Roadhouse is always either packed or closed. My last attempt, after aborting on Texas Roadhouse, I found that the Big Boy I was going to try had shut down. On the way to my accountant I identified a Big Boy, determined that the lights were on and cars were parked there. Then I realized there was a Texas Roadhouse up by my accountant. It appeared to have a few cars parked at it so I'd try that first.

The good news is, the accountant bit was quite successful. A form I thought I'd lost showed up today in the mail as I was finishing walking my dog. And no one did anything stupid on the road in front of me so I made good time (last time there was a fender-bender that shut down one lane and created about 2 miles of stop-and-go). Then my accountant was right in the lobby when I pulled up so I didn't have to ring the buzzer and stand around. I even got to have a bit of a chat with him. And that's the last thing that worked today.

On the way, my "low fuel" light came on. That gives me about 50 miles before I need gas. Stopped at Wal*Mart. I was looking for a fancy, fairly large but inexpensive mirror. Think the sort of thing you'd hang over your fireplace. About 4x3 with maybe a gold colored frame if possible. Nope. They had about 3 mirrors and none of them were remotely what I needed. So over to Target. Not only did they have no mirrors, they also had no DVD players (my DVD player and its remote have become unlinked and since a new DVD player is about $35 these days, I might as well just buy one, having exhausted my troubleshooting options).

So I stopped for gas. Now...when the car you bought new is now over 13 years old...that's a hard thing. I had to buy replacement seat covers. And the fuse for the powered driver's seat keeps blowing so I've got to hunt down that short. The AC doesn't work. All things I could live with. But the washer fluid has stopped working. It was misty today. So while I was gassing up I did some troubleshooting. The fluid level was low enough that I couldn't see it. It looked like there was plenty of fluid, but it might've just been that the blue coloring in the fluid had stained the reservoir. They had a rack of jugs of fluid right at the gas station so I decided to just grab one. It's not the fluid. So it's a blown fuse, a bad motor, a loose wire, or clogged hoses.

Then I missed the turn for Texas Roadhouse and had to drive out of my way to double back for it. It was closed. I got to the Big Boy. Decided to just grab my owner's manual for reading material at the restaurant. Good call. Too bad I'm not working on "War & Peace" though. The place was almost empty and the average age of everyone in the restaurant (including employees) was about 127. Waited at the counter for 5 minutes because the person who seats people was on her cigarette break. With *the* waitress. Wanted to keep things simple because I was in a foul mood so I ordered a Big Boy with fries and a chocolate shake. It took 3 years to get it. After serving it, the waitress disappeared again. After taking a bite I realized that about 20% of the bottom patty was missing. Bun and then a burger with a large notch out of it. Nursed the shake and the fries for a bit in futile hope of seeing the waitress before giving up, since I didn't want to eat the bun-only part as the last thing. Of course she showed up as soon as I took my first bite of that. I pointed out the problem and she asked me if I wanted another burger. Since I didn't want to wait 3 more years I just grudgingly ate it.

I should mention, it turns out Big Boy isn't, like Red Robin or some kind of Tony Roma's 3# kobe burger. It's about in between a Big Mac and a Whopper in terms of quality. It should NOT take as long as it took to make. When I finished I sat around for 5 minutes waiting for a check while the manager was trying to unfuck the mess the place was before deciding to go stand by the register. I came very VERY close to just walking out when the waitress saw me and rang up my order.

Oh. I used my phone sparingly because I'd forgotten to charge it. Just long enough to get an e-mail from my Realtor that she'll be in Thailand for her honeymoon next week. And the manual has no fuse location for the washer fluid. Two locations for the wipers but none for the washer. Oh well, I'll pop on the Internet and find it.

There is nothing useful on the Internet about where the fuse for the wiper fluid motor is.

So there you have it. My quick and simple morning has pretty much eaten the entire day while failing in almost every way. I really really hate 2023 America. The dystopian future was supposed to be a lot sexier instead of being like the Soviet Union.

And then my browser locked up from a memory leak as I started typing this.

[EDIT: Oh, and the latest Facebook "feature" (I mean, apart from the browser crashing memory leak) is a screen-filling pop-up that tells me my Facebook is now linked to my (nonexistent) Instagram for my Convenience. Now I have to kill that window along with the "My Story," the "Short Clips and Videos" and change "Most Relevant" to "Show All" for comments EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAM. TIME., among other things. I hate 2023 so goddamn much. ]

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The plot thicks. They removed the listing today. Popped over to have a quick look and it said "SOLD" and for less than I offered and I was like "SON OF A BITCH!" Then I realized the date. They must have decided to pull it, sit on it some more, and see if they can get more for it later. My bidding strategy is now moot. Just like the other one. :/

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Like Omar says "It's all about the Benjamins, baby"

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The interesting thing--and it occurred to me AFTER I posted the above--is that there is a quirk to Zillow, where it reverts to the *previous* ad and photos when a listing gets taken off. I popped back on to confirm this and sure enough, it had the old listing and photos. The idea that he "cleaned it up" is a lie. Any work he did was absolutely minimal.

It pisses me off because it's a nice property. It could be a nice rental without too much work. But instead it sits empty, waiting to be broken into and vandalized. Ah well, not my problem.

My problem is, I wish I owned it and at present I can't make that happen. They must have enough money to be able to just sit on it. Eh. I guess I have their contact info. I could maybe make them an offer without it being on the market.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
My problem is, I wish I owned it and at present I can't make that happen. They must have enough money to be able to just sit on it. Eh. I guess I have their contact info. I could maybe make them an offer without it being on the market.

That will also save you the realtor's fees. if it makes a difference and you could close without the fees, better to pay just the owner instead of both.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So tired. My dog was playing with the neighbor's horses. It was mutually initiated and they'd run up and down their respective sides of the fenceline next to each other. I thought it was cute; even took video of it to send to her. But then she came out to feed them and was appalled and angry. It was "too muddy and icy" and they could hurt themselves. And she couldn't feed them if they were all worked up and hot. So I called my dog, put her on the leash, and took her out of the back pasture.

I haven't had a horse in awhile, so maybe I don't know horses. And it is certainly the prerogative of an animal's owner to decide what's best for them. But it was a downer--being scolded for enjoying something.

I'm generally on good terms with her, but I definitely have a different view of animals than her and her sisters. She has barn cats, but they're to control mice. She won't let her house cats outside. I let my cat out most of the times that he wants to. Yeah, maybe something will get him, but he's a cat. He should get to be a cat. Her sister has a dog. She won't ever let the dog off the leash because she'll run off. I work with my dog off-leash as much as I can get away with because working dogs need to be off-leash to do working dog things. And we build trust that way.

The neighbors behind us are kind of different and probably poor. They've got all manner of animals. Chickens and guinea fowl, goats, sheep, some horses, at least one dog. They don't hurt anyone. My neighbor has decided they're cruel to the dog and leave him tied out all the time (she can't see into their yard, so I don't know how she knows that). She's decided they're raising roosters for cockfighting. Hell, I don't know. Maybe they are. I guess Kentucky has a cockfighting problem. But that isn't my problem. They aren't hurting me. And I eat a fair amount of chicken; eat eggs too. To tell the truth, a fighting cock probably has a better and more fulfilling life than farm chickens raised for food.

Well, I guess I should get going. Gotta get dinner going and figure out what else I want to accomplish today.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I gotta say, coming back to the original premise of this thread, I could really be good at doing nothing all day. Get up around 9. Open blinds, feed and water animals, water plants, make coffee. Eat breakfast while fucking off on the Internet. Play some solitaire. Get cleaned up and dressed and walk The Dog. Make lunch. Take a nap. Then I've just got to fuck around for another hour or so before it is time to walk The Dog again and pretty soon it is after 5pm. Dinner, a little television, maybe practice the ukulele a bit, and then have a cocktail and a bit more Internet and get ready for bed. I might eventually get bored with it, but I doubt it. There's all the things I've said I'd do if I ever got the time--volunteer, make art, write, etc--but truth be told, I can fill up a week pretty easily just fucking off and being lazy.