A discussion about depression

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
hmm, Hambil, how deep a depression are we talking about here?
Can you still go through the daily motions, or is it so bad that you can't manage to prepare food, shower, that kind of stuff?

I've had a bad case of depression about 15 years ago. It was the immobilizing kind, where I wasn't able to leave my apt, not even to bbuy groceries.
I don't think there is some kind of 'trick' to get out of it. The problem is that in theory, the one thing that can give you relief is the one thing you can't do of your own accord: any activity. (I've never taken any meds, so I don't know if they would help in this regard).
What helped me tremendously was to have a few people who knew about my condition and just forced me to meet them, go out with them, talk to them. They made me realize that the reason for my depression was that I downright hated some aspects of my life. I was able to change almost all of them by and by, which did away with my depression.

Sorry, Hambil, I know it's not really helpful, but in my understanding depression always shows you that something fundamental in your choice of living is unsatisfying. If you want to get rid of depression, you have to analyze what it is and change it.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I love you, Hambil.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Eat toasted sandwiches.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I do like Nutella... amazing stuff.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Well.
Me, having had and still deal with it periodically, I have a few things that worked for me.

First.
Do NOT sleep as much as you can. Too much sleep feeds depression.

Get out and talk to people. Not about your depression, but smalltalk.

occupy yourself with hobbies and activities. it takes the mind off of the depression.

get out and move around. walk, jog, yoga. lack of physical movement feeds depression.

Eat correctly. veggies, fruits, meats. Stay low on the carbohydrates. Might as well give your body the nutrients it needs to be happy.

get involved with social groups. or charities, or activity groups. Hell, join a RPG playing club.

Start some projects where you can see the results of the work you are doing. Part of depression is Not seeing your effect on your environment.
Doing a project and seeing it grow completely fucks depression that way.

Talk to people that give a shit.
Talk to Jack if you wanna become suicidal.
DIAF jack.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
If you have a car, get in it and drive as far as you can in any direction, preferably at random.

Rules: No expressways or highways. Just regular state routes. Bring a camera, a notebook, water, some mobile healthy snacks (see Friday's post), walking stick, metal detector, whatever you got. If you have more than a day, take a blanket or sleeping bag.

You drive long enough and pay attention to the stuff on the side of the road, eventually your feet will take you to something amazing. Trust me on this. And anybody busy exploring has no time to be depressed.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Oh, and clean your living space.
Clutter and debris cause depression.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Sit on him. It's more than he deserves but at least he won't wake up.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
My God...reading this thread, I've just realized that I am currently the most depressed person in TK history. :eek: :(

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
That makes a great achronym. TMDPITKH.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Yeah, not the perfect forum for this, but I don't have any desire to visit the rest of TK anymore. In fact my link to the site goes directly to this forum :)

And I know there are others here with experience in this (far more than me probably).

What do you do to help relieve it? What works for you? Right now, imagine something you'd really hate doing like listening to a lecture on economics, and imagine that anything you can possibly think of doing feels like that.

I sleep, as much as I can. I take my meds (an effort in itself). I try to watch TV shows with mixed success.

I know it will pass, and I'm not complaining (well maybe a little) or looking for sympathy so much as looking for ideas for activities or tricks that have worked to help you.

I've suffered from bipolar since I was 10. I've managed it mostly with medication. I assume your depression has recently manifested itself? Or has it been ongoing for years? Another thing I've found is to be so busy with things that I don't have time to think about it. I know that's kind of a dodge, but it seems to help. I would suggest seeing a doctor about it, if you haven't already. (Yes I know, another doctor is probably the last person you want to see right now)

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
It's been slowly worsening for about a year now. Having been sick for so long is probably the root of it. I'm on meds, and it's usually not *too* bad, but this week has been rough.