All the bad things about Vista in one thread

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, if you want to run Photoshop, Word Perfect, Quattro Pro, and most everything else, you have to have two operating systems: the new and "improved" Vista and XP or Windows 2000 to do the real work.

Eh?

Photoshop, Adobe Premiere. Sony Vegas, Quark Express, Maya, Lightwave, ACiD Pro, After Effects and a whole host of other high-end apps work better on Vista for me than they ever did on XP.

Fisticoy

There's only one thing stopping me from upgrading to Vista. I don't like the new start menu. I don't like how the files open inside of it. Some may like it, that's fine. But I want my start menu files to expand so I can browse through them instead of squint inside the little start menu box and find my half visible program menu.

Seriously. If there is a way to disable that and go back to a fly out menu, then I would get Vista.

Ishcabittle

Not to split hairs here, but...

As for how drivers work.... Totally different now. Most drivers used to sit at the Kernel level and now they're run in a user enviroment meaning when a driver fails for whatever reason the whole system doens't even come close to crashing. This also FUBARS trojans and viruses from being very successful since they never get near the Kernel.

That's been in OS X for six years now.

And hell, OSX isn't that great anyway. Everyone touts it as this amazing OS but the GUI isn't even as user friendly as XP in many cases. The GUI in Vista is more than "eye-candy" though. It is highly intuitive. It does what you expect it should and there is so much customization to be had.

Now I'll give you that Finder sucks sometimes, particularly with network shares, but the GUI of any system isn't nearly as efficient at the command line, IMHO. The GUI, for me, is for my mail client, my web browser, misc. apps, and that's about it. If I wanna move stuff around my hard drive or the network, I switch to Terminal.

Vista's cool, granted. Fact is, it's still catching up to the stability I've been enjoying since Jaguar, which is five years old. Not to say it's been without bugs, but MS is selling Vista like this is shit we've never seen before (well, not from MS anyway). I'm just not all in a tizzy about Vista. Probably the same way a Chinese dude isn't super excited that he knows English. Sure, it's a good language for communicating with those round-eyes, but it's not going to compare.